Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [revih] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, another option to look at then is to buy the hybrid wheels and a disc cover, if wheelbuilder ships to Brazil. With a 45mm deep front and a disc, that would be plenty fast and very stable. Can you buy HED wheels? Can't really go wrong with any of their offerings either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I wouldn't bother changing to the Cosmic. It won't give any perceptible improvement.
There's no reason you can't use the same wheels for training and racing no matter what they are. If conditions are terrible and you want to keep your best wheels clean and reduce wear then just use the stock wheels. I can't think of any reason to buy something in-between.
What's your budget and what sort of races will you typically do?

Apologies, I was ambiguous there in my use of "Cosmic" as that applies to both the wheels you mention.
I was referring to the Cosmic Elite which is a 30mm narrow (15mm) rim. It's not especially light either though possibly a little lighter than the stock wheels. It won't get you any aerodynamic or rolling resistance benefit at all. Any minor weight benefit is pretty negligible and definitely not worth the price of the wheels. If I were you I would have zero interest in those wheels.

From what I can see, the Cosmic Carbon Pro is a 45mm rim with a 17mm internal width. The added rim depth should give you an aerodynamic benefit and depending on tyre choice and pressure coupled with the wider rim it may also give a minor reduction in rolling resistance. However, for what they cost (unless you're getting a spectacular deal) I'd go with something like the Flos or Swiss Side Hadrons with rim depths somewhere from 60 to 90mm.
I got Swiss Side Hadrons 62.5mm front and 850mm rear for very little more than I see the Cosmics listed.
They have good deep, wind resistant, reasonably wide rims at a respectable weight.

I wouldn't bother with full carbon. They offer no real benefit besides aesthetics, just worse braking and a higher cost. Alloy rims and carbon fairings is ideal. First choice for me would be HED Jet+, but Flo and Swiss Side do good alternatives.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Nov 8, 17 8:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're determined to buy locally I'm sure most of these brands are available to you. I bought my Swiss Sides online from UK but also considered Flos from the US, Reynolds from a German vendor and Planet-X from their Irish outlet. HED Jet+ seem to available for very good prices regularly in the US and can probably be purchased from Brazil albeit you might have to pay import duty of some sort when they arrive. I could have bought the Flos or HEDs from outside the EU but would probably have gotten stung for tax which would have made the Flos more expensive than the equivalent Swiss Sides. Maybe look out for Black Friday deals to bring the cost down a bit. I got the Swiss Sides 20% off on Black Friday!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Here in Brazil we don´t have many options official dealers to buy carbon wheels.

I could only find local dealers for Mavic, Zipp, Roval and Shimano.

All the other ones I would have to import and be subject to duty taxes that would increase the cost in about 50%.

In some cases it would still be cheaper than buying locally but maybe it would´t be worth because I would end up without warranty.

The deal one the Mavic Cosmic Carbon can be considered a good deal locally. But I would still pay about US$ 1.840,00 for them, what would allow me to buy wheels a lot better in the US.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did some improvements for next season. I don't like zip ties or velcro and this is really stiff. It's made from 5mm carbon fiber to be a direct replacement for the bridge. I guess it would work from 10 mm of spacers and up. The lock nuts would probably hit the stem at 5 mm and mounting the bottle cage would be very difficult since it has to be mounted after the bridge is attached to the handle bar.

No I just need a set of Cee Gees arm pads. I use Profile Design Lux pads at the moment but the foam lost it's shape after just 1-2 months. Cuting a pad with a carpet knife didn't turn out that grate either.

The extensions are Zipp Evo 110 aluminium and I use ESI Racers edge grips. Mounting those grips was a pain. Getting them over the Di2 wires with the correct amount of loose wire. And the most fun bit was when I mounted grips on the handle bar and had to pull out the brake cables all the way and re route them thru the bar. Great fun.

Di2 B junction is inside the stem and all wire come in thru the stem side ports. Will try to hide the wires coming out of the extensions.

And the answer is no....I can't see the bike computer when a bottle in the cage

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you make that bridge or buy it? Looks really well done. Also, is there no way to move the Garmin mount so you can see it? It looks like there's more room to move it forward, or even if you clipped it to the angled section of the extension of would then be visible.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I designed it my self and had it CNC machined.

I can flip the mount over and have it out board of the extensions. I only use the computer for training and remove the mount while racing.

On the EVO extensions there are almost no straight parts and there are about 2 cm between the extensions where I hold my hands. For best visibility while training I would mount it on top of the bottle. Since it's winter I use the powermeter in my trainer.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowly getting the bike where I want it. I would like to get the angle of the saddle set a little better if possible, but as noted earlier it seems to be a beast to get set just right. I am fairly comfortable at 60 miles on the Cobb 55 using Desoto 400 mile padded bibs and haven't had an opportunity yet to stretch out the miles a bit more. Seems like the nose could come down just a slight hair more and it would be sweet. However, I am nervous that if I start messing with the angle again I will never get it back.

Another is finding the right rear light. I just ordered one and the rubber band is too short for the wide seat post. The one I bought barely makes attachment laced through the slot in the seat post. When they say "fits aero seat post" I don't think they are talking about the IA width. :-) Fortunately it worked on Saturday for a darkish morning ride with storms coming in, but it will not work once I put the rubber strips in the posts.

Suggestions for rear light that will fit this post? Clean attachment with usb charging and decent lumens? I only attach and use if there is fog or storms coming in.
I was thinking about this one. It certainly is cheap enough to give it a try.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you not be looking at fitting the rear light to the draft box or the behind the seat bottle cage assembly?
That would give better visibility and alternative (though not necessarily easier) attachment options.

I can't tell from the picture if that's a single or double bottle holder on the back. If it's a double, can you put a light in the middle?
Another, less elegant, possibility might be to clamp something between the draft box and frame that extends upwards to provide a mounting structure for a light above the draft box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Would you not be looking at fitting the rear light to the draft box or the behind the seat bottle cage assembly?
That would give better visibility and alternative (though not necessarily easier) attachment options.

I can't tell from the picture if that's a single or double bottle holder on the back. If it's a double, can you put a light in the middle?
Another, less elegant, possibility might be to clamp something between the draft box and frame that extends upwards to provide a mounting structure for a light above the draft box.

Here is another picture from the rear. I had attached the light around the Co2 cartridge and it worked well like a regular road seat post, but I had to adjust the bottle cage angle and now the cartridge mount is not working. It worked when the angle was straight up, but I could feel the bottles on my backside when I sit up on a climb. I may put the cage angle back because I typically stay aero most of the time even going up hill.

I thought about epoxying a mount to the back of the draft box as well, but I am little hesitant at the moment. I may just do what I have been doing for a number of years and that is to clip lights on the back of the helmet liner. With those on the back of the helmet I can take off while riding, turn off and put in my back pocket. Most of the time I am riding/training in full sunlight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the draft box crooked on there?? Doesn't look centered over the tire?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like the picture is just not in-line with the frame. It's slightly to the left and off vertical.....I think
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
It looks like the picture is just not in-line with the frame. It's slightly to the left and off vertical.....I think

That's correct. I was holding the back wheel and the camera at the same time. The picture is really bad example.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the seatpost reflector mount and rigged up a garmin mount on it in place of the reflector . I put the Garmin radar rear light on the back.

Works great and you can slide the reflector mount up or down the seatpost for a good clean view of what's coming up behind you.

I really don't like to ride without the radar anymore. It is one of the best accessories I have ever bought.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [blackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip.

I got a brief glimpse of reflector mount in a box of things the bike shop did not use or took off the bike. I need to look at that attachment again and see how I can use it. Thanks for the reminder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey folks, just out of interest, is there any real weight difference between the FRD seat post, and the IA1 seat post?
Realized when reading frame specs that the FRD post also uses the textreme carbon...

Thx
Quote Reply
Front hydration system [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,
thinking about buying a front hydration system,
Profil Design FC35 vs XlabTorbedo versa

any experiences? do they leak? easy refill?
Thanks for every insight
Quote Reply
Re: Front hydration system [sommer00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got an FC25. It works well. Fills easily, doesn't splash unless you hit a severe bump. However, there are two things I don't like:
  1. The mount is a pain. It allows rattling and movement of the bottle and the velcro strap is a ridiculously awkward solution for removing the bottle (for washing).
  2. The bottle shape is not conducive to easy washing.

Quote Reply
Re: Front hydration system [sommer00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your bike was pretty much purpose built to have a Torhans Aero 30 based on the head tube profile.

sommer00 wrote:
Hey,
thinking about buying a front hydration system,
Profil Design FC35 vs XlabTorbedo versa

any experiences? do they leak? easy refill?
Thanks for every insight

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought my first tribike from ebay. It's an IA 10 size 48. I received the bike and upon inspection noticed that the sides of the fork are sticking out beyond the headtube. Is this normal? Is this a function of the bike size?

Does IA 10 usually come with DI2 charger when purchased?

Last edited by: petshopboy: Nov 24, 17 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [petshopboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just been informed that there are no plans to release the new Calpac in the UK, any time soon! WTF!

email from my local stockist:

'I have contacted our rep directly and he has confirmed that the CalpPac is currently only available in the US and no plans for it to be brought over to the UK as of yet
i will keep you informed in to any changes'

Anybody heard anything different?...
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [petshopboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
petshopboy wrote:
I bought my first tribike from ebay. It's an IA 10 size 48. I received the bike and upon inspection noticed that the sides of the fork are sticking out beyond the headtube. Is this normal? Is this a function of the bike size?

Does IA 10 usually come with DI2 charger when purchased?

Do you have the fork turned backwards??
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all, need to help a friend buy di2 parts for a build on a 58cm FRD.

Planning to buy:
cranks
6870 front and rear derailleurs
6800 cranks
6871 brake levers/shifters
SM-BCR2 charger
DA R671 aero shifters
5 port junction SM-EW90 (for up near bars)
sm-jc41 internal junction box (for BB area, is there a different newer one I should get??)
internal cylinder battery

Can someone please recommend the different length wires to buy? Am I correct in the junction boxes?
Anything else??

Thanks!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [hopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hopper1 wrote:
Just been informed that there are no plans to release the new Calpac in the UK, any time soon! WTF!

'I have contacted our rep directly and he has confirmed that the CalpPac is currently only available in the US and no plans for it to be brought over to the UK as of yet

WHUT?!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [hopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hopper1 wrote:

That is ridiculous. If anyone in the UK wants one, let me know and IÂ’ll see what my shop can do for you.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Nov 25, 17 4:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next