Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
I picked up my IA16 this afternoon to do a little rough fitting at home and then return it tomorrow for some more tweaks. I have some pictures of the draft box and bottle cage setup. On my fit and setup it will open enough to access, but it does seem like it will work per individual, frame size, fit and cage mounts used. Pictures (pardon the test saddle color)

The SN is located on a removable decal in front of the non-drive side BB and stamped in the plastic below the BB.
Saddle is too nose high.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Saddle is too nose high.

Thanks...taking notes
I hope we can get the bike a little dialed in later today so I can test the bike this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Squiggy028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Squiggy028 wrote:
Sorry if this isn’t the right place but someone told me to ask SuperDave about this- will the IA10 be compatible with 25c tires? Is there enough clearance for the frame/brakes? Thanks in advance

Yes, most 25c tires will fit. I raced on 27mm Vittoria Pave on my IA then ran 28mm GP4000IIs for some time before swapping on some prototype TTR tires in 25mm.

Of course the inner rim width will dictate the final tire cross section so if you've got some 21mm internal wheels with "wide" 28c tires you'll have a 31-32mm section which will likely rub the front brake.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nose too high.....

30 minutes plus spent just on the nose angle for the Cobb 55. The fine adjustment just did not seem fine enough. It is angled down slightly but with the slightest bulge in the nose padding it was difficult because it angles up slightly. I am going to try it this weekend and see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Nose too high.....

30 minutes plus spent just on the nose angle for the Cobb 55. The fine adjustment just did not seem fine enough. It is angled down slightly but with the slightest bulge in the nose padding it was difficult because it angles up slightly. I am going to try it this weekend and see how it goes.
Be careful with that saddle clamp. If you fully figure out how it works, it opens a portal to hell and inter-dimensional beings called Cenobites arrive to torture you.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Oct 31, 17 14:03
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [boki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did this dagger solution ever work?

thanks
eric

boki wrote:
Dave,

I got my IA10 a couple of weeks ago. Due to my fitting needs I had to mount the extensions below the base bar but now I have some reach issues. I have a couple of solutions - from different low stack negative angle stems like Syntace Flatforce stem to some different aero bars.
I was wondering if the IA Dagger adapter stem would work with the IA10? I know it is 110mm x -16 degrees which would give me just enough additional reach and it would put me just a bit lower but I don't know if there is enough of steerer tube length on the IA10 fork.

Thanks,
Boki

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [misha1809] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
misha1809 wrote:
Punk wrote:
G'day Misha,

Just a few questions about the draft box if that's cool :).

Firstly, can the draft box lid be opened slightly or not at all without twisting the lid? I plan to use my draft box for my spare kit so I'll only need to open it when I have a flat.

Secondly, do you have an xlab behind the seat carrier? For reference, I have an xlab Delta 400 behind my seat.

Lastly, if you use yours as a spare kit, what can you fit in it?

If anyone can post pics of the draft box, behind the seat bottle problem that'd be awesome.

Thanks heaps for your time, Misha, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers and happy riding,
Jamie

Hi,

The lid CAN be opened slightly...you might be able to get things in and out but it'd be annoying.

I don't have an x-Lab...I have a specialized direct mount reserve rack with two gorilla cages.

I have inside the box now, a spare tube (clincher) 1 co2 cannister, co2 pump head, two carbon tire levers and a valve extender and there is room to spare.

Here is a link to pics of the installed draft box. I took a pic of it closed, open slightly, and then how I bend it around the cages to full open...works fine.

You can see in one pic that it's held to the bike via two screws and those run along a vertical spacer in the box...so technically i COULD LOWER the box and have less a cluster problem at the top. Why did I not do that? Felt drilled a hole in the bottom angle of the box to allow a long allen wrench to get to that bottom screw. Then you put a cover in the hole to fill it in. Lowering the box would change the angle of that wrench such that I'd have to tighten in from inside the box...which is a pain. Its not off the table as an option though.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-n9s7yXLJaRbFlBWnZ4dlVZOGs

Cheers!

J

Thanks so much J, I really appreciate your time and effort with the detailed information and the pics. It helped a lot.

Thanks heaps again,
Jamie
Last edited by: Punk: Oct 31, 17 20:25
Quote Reply
Traveling with IA [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone

how do you travel with your IA? I have a Scicon Box (hardcover, aerotec evolution) but have to unmount the handle bar and due to the rear break "fixing thing" in the base bar, the handle bar and the extensions cannot be removed completly. This is quite an issue.

do you have any insight, tips, requirments, experiences??

Thanks and regards
Pascal
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [misha1809] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
misha1809 wrote:

Hi,

The lid CAN be opened slightly...you might be able to get things in and out but it'd be annoying.

I don't have an x-Lab...I have a specialized direct mount reserve rack with two gorilla cages.

I have inside the box now, a spare tube (clincher) 1 co2 cannister, co2 pump head, two carbon tire levers and a valve extender and there is room to spare.

Mine is getting closer to my fit and as of yesterday I am able to open the lid all the way with the Xlab Turbo Wing set high and two cages. But it certainly will be YMMV for most based on fit. If Felt is watching threads like this I think they may want to have a BTSpac 2.0 with a lid that will work with more options and the various bike fittings.

I did not get as much in the box as I had hoped but the bike looks cleaner (hopefully a bit more aero) than my previous bike and setup. In the box I have 2 tubes, 1 Co2, 2 tire levers and will probably be able to slip some emergency money in. I ended up putting 2 more Co2, mini tool, and Co2 pump head and will have enough room for 2 or 3 gels in the Calpac. Seems a bit much, but in decent weather I tend to do long courses in a rural area and little help if I have an issue.

With the Xlab Turbo Wing set high and two cages.

Pardon the green test saddle and these pictures were taken before the first fitting. After some fitting work yesterday the lid opens fully without touching the cages, but these results are going to vary per individual fittings and BTS mounts.

Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Nov 1, 17 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the picture.
If you could take a vertical measurement from the point the seatpost enters the frame to the top of the lid at it's highest point as it opens it would allow many people to know if they definitely don't have a problem. So, for example, if the vertical distance from the lowest exposed seatpost to the bottom of the cages in your case was 110mm, then it looks like anyone with 125mm of clearance would have no obstruction whatsoever.
There will I'm sure be plenty cases where, as in your case, the lid will hit the saddle or bottle cages at some point in the arc and depending on where, it may or may not still be useable.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it worked pretty well.

Let me know if you want to know any details.
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling with IA [sommer00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recable the rear brake so that it exits the top of the calpac and goes directly to the base bar. If you leave enough slack you should have no issues removing the bars from the stem. Running the brake cable through the stem will make it impossible to do this. Yes there is brake cable now exposed just behind the stem, but its much easier to work with now.

I did this for travel so that I could just unbolt the stem to fold the bars down. I use a Pika case so need to get the bars over by the downtube when packing it up.
Last edited by: TPerkin2000: Nov 1, 17 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not a fan.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [doylew66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emm, thanks for that.....
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Thanks for the picture.
If you could take a vertical measurement from the point the seatpost enters the frame to the top of the lid at it's highest point as it opens it would allow many people to know if they definitely don't have a problem. So, for example, if the vertical distance from the lowest exposed seatpost to the bottom of the cages in your case was 110mm, then it looks like anyone with 125mm of clearance would have no obstruction whatsoever.
There will I'm sure be plenty cases where, as in your case, the lid will hit the saddle or bottle cages at some point in the arc and depending on where, it may or may not still be useable.

I hope this picture will help. At the rail to top of lid is about 127mm the lid does touch the cages but will open all the way.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great. Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First test ride yesterday. The sucky part of doing a test ride is not being in decent fitness because I have memory of my old bike when I was in better condition. A big part of this first ride was getting accustomed to a more aggressive fit than the previous bike and with a new type of saddle. For a 60 mile ride the Cobb 55 JOF test saddle was comfortable for being roughly fitted. No issues there so I dropped by the shop and requested to order the black stealth version.

I certainly think this is going to be a great bike for me (a non-competitor). Now I just need to get back into a consistent groove for structured training.

Edit: It's been years since I have used low end components on the drivetrain, but I never experienced an issue. It shifted just as good as the high end components. It is a little stiff, but I expect that on a new setup. I do plan on upgrading to etap at some point. I have it on my road bike and love the group.

Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Nov 5, 17 4:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today's low end components are better than a few years ago's high end components. It's always been that way.

I did change my crank to a CF crank, just because I wanted a better crank, but the other components have served me well through tow seasons.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet. I cannot wait to get mine looking like yours with the new Calpac and draft box. And, I am very pleased with the 105 components... though have upgraded everything already, and electronic shifting is next.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed today and i see in that picture (halfway point) that my seat post slipped down quite a bit. Got everything set and bolts torqued down. Today's ride went much better. Now I need to get my training consistent again.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm thinking about upgrading the stock wheel set that came in my IA 14.

I'm looking at Mavic Cosmic Carbon Pro (aluminum clincher) or Mavic Cosmic Elite?

Which would the more versatile option?

I believe the first option is more aero and better suited for races while the second I can use in practice and races, with less aero advantage but without worrying about damaging the carbon.

Am I right?

Is the Cosmic Elite a real upgrade or are the stock wheels of the same quality?

Tks.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [revih] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't bother changing to the Cosmic. It won't give any perceptible improvement.
There's no reason you can't use the same wheels for training and racing no matter what they are. If conditions are terrible and you want to keep your best wheels clean and reduce wear then just use the stock wheels. I can't think of any reason to buy something in-between.
What's your budget and what sort of races will you typically do?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [revih] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want an aero wheel upgrade, it's hard to beat a Flo 60/90 combo. Top tier aero but cheaper than almost anything else out there. I have a set of the hybrid 90's and love the aluminum brake track, but if you want full carbon that's also an option. I would definitely go that route over the cosmics, because they're cheaper and probably faster.

That being said, the cosmics are probably better than the stock wheels, but as the other poster already wrote, you might as well go all the way and get a proper aero wheelset rather than going halfway and then wanting to spend even more money in a few years.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input.

Tha race i liked to do was 70.3. I'm new in the sport and joined two in the last year. I think I'll be doing about two per year and some few sprints. The rest of the time will be just practice. Maybe a full iron in 2019.

I can stretch to the cost of the mavic cosmic carbon but would like to spend less if possible.

I would love to be able to buy the flo wheels but unfortunately they are not available in Brazil, so I have to stick with a brand like Mavic or other major player.
Quote Reply

Prev Next