Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [blackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having trouble picturing a position that uses the pads at their extreme forward position with your elbows on the pads that doesn't put the bar end shifters behind your wrists!
Just to confirm: you have the pad brackets mounted on the extensions, IN FRONT of the extension/basebar brackets? The bike was probably delivered with this the other way around.

I am using a set of 400mm long extensions and I use almost the full length of these with my my hands sitting on top of the bar end shifters and my elbows just behind the pads. If my elbows were on the pads and I was using the much shorter stock Felt extensions, my hands would be hanging in mid air!

These are the extensions I'm using:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/skitip-alloy-extensions/116895

They're not expensive. I think I got mine for a bit under €40 (about $45).
There's also an S bend version if you prefer:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/s50-alloy-extensions/116804

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right . I can scoot to the middle of pad and shifters are at the wrist. Nothing to hold on to...

Will check out extensions! Thanks for the links!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also look at http://zipp.com/...ymr2zflpsv1ku7kw0ejr or http://zipp.com/...ymr2zflpsv1ku7kw0ejr

The Vuka Carbon Evo 70s are awesome.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size IA do you have? I have the 58. I pulled this from the website.

Felt Bayonet 3 base bar with Felt ƒ-Bend 3-position extensions, Ø31.8mm 48 - 54cm = 390mm 56 - 58cm = 420mm

So the stock extensions are 420mm.....

May need the stem after all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blackadder wrote:

Felt Bayonet 3 base bar with Felt ƒ-Bend 3-position extensions, Ø31.8mm 48 - 54cm = 390mm 56 - 58cm = 420mm

They don't actually come that long. Felt discovered late in the Spring that their bikes we being shipped with shorter than spec'd extensions. Not sure if this issue has been fixed yet, but they're really short. I think in the neighborhood of 320mm or perhaps even shorter. We've replaced several.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blackadder wrote:

Mine's a 56cm frame. I got it in December 2015 or January 2016, can't remember which. I just measured the old extensions and they were 340mm long. I thought they were even shorter but apparently not. However it's still a big difference from 340mm to 400mm that I'm using now. If I was you I'd measure what you've got to be sure. If they are indeed 420mm then disregard my previous suggestions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just measured mine. Measuring along the curve they are 345 mm. Far short of 420 mm....lol.

Another little issue I can add to the pile regarding FELT.

Love the bike but damn they have dropped the ball on quite a few things.

Will get the Specialized extensions and see how it goes. The ZIPP looked sweet but I would think a bit more pricey than 50 bucks.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
sommer00 wrote:
Hey, any change to see other upcoming Felt models for the new season but with disc breaks? Wanna buy one but cannot find any pictures.

I haven't seen anything, so I doubt something new is imminent, but keep in mind Felt, like other manufacturers, has done away with model years, so you never know when they might announce something new.

Will see if my contact has any credibility since he told me Sunday he was told Friday Felt will be coming out with a triathlon disc brake bike for 2018. He would not be surprised if Cervelo did something on the lower level also since they cannot buy anymore P2/P3's.

This is #1 reason I have not pulled trigger on a felt yet, patiently waiting.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
Synnove wrote:
IronStork wrote:
I think the quality of the screws just blows, which is a major downer cause I can't even seem to get my seat level and have stopped trying for fear of stripping the screws again.

This x10. I feel this is an area were felt did some cost cutting, because, while I've not had problems with the seat post screw, I ended up stripping the stem cap bolt, and the seat stay adjustment bolt is on it's way there.

This is pretty sad, given it was a 2500 USD frame. And I was even using a torque wrench, and followed all torque indications!

Using a wrench doesn't help you if the tool is rounded or worn.
The titanium bolts that hold the seatpost are not a cost-saving measure. The custom head and material are ~300% more expensive than a standard shallow-head stainless or 8.8 Cr-Mo CP bolt.

-SD

I broke a seat post bolt today. I don't live close to a bike shop. Can anyone recommend where to order a half dozen of these bolts from? Now to figure out how to get the threaded portion of the bolt out.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
sommer00 wrote:
Hey, any change to see other upcoming Felt models for the new season but with disc breaks? Wanna buy one but cannot find any pictures.

I haven't seen anything, so I doubt something new is imminent, but keep in mind Felt, like other manufacturers, has done away with model years, so you never know when they might announce something new.

Will see if my contact has any credibility since he told me Sunday he was told Friday Felt will be coming out with a triathlon disc brake bike for 2018. He would not be surprised if Cervelo did something on the lower level also since they cannot buy anymore P2/P3's.

This is #1 reason I have not pulled trigger on a felt yet, patiently waiting.

I think a birdie told me Felt was waiting till Kona to announce new products. Not smart as if that goes forward it'll get lost in a lot of of other news, but that is Felts mo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure those quoted measurements are for the bayonet base bar width and not the extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Alpinist909] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alpinist909 wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
Synnove wrote:
IronStork wrote:
I think the quality of the screws just blows, which is a major downer cause I can't even seem to get my seat level and have stopped trying for fear of stripping the screws again.

This x10. I feel this is an area were felt did some cost cutting, because, while I've not had problems with the seat post screw, I ended up stripping the stem cap bolt, and the seat stay adjustment bolt is on it's way there.

This is pretty sad, given it was a 2500 USD frame. And I was even using a torque wrench, and followed all torque indications!

Using a wrench doesn't help you if the tool is rounded or worn.
The titanium bolts that hold the seatpost are not a cost-saving measure. The custom head and material are ~300% more expensive than a standard shallow-head stainless or 8.8 Cr-Mo CP bolt.

-SD

I broke a seat post bolt today. I don't live close to a bike shop. Can anyone recommend where to order a half dozen of these bolts from? Now to figure out how to get the threaded portion of the bolt out.
Thanks

If you don't mind stainless steel instead of titanium you can get them from McMaster-Carr. I think I remember they are M6 x 1.0mm x16mmL but double check with length the bolt you haven't broken. How on earth did you break the bolt by the way?
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dave, thanks for the fast response.
I was on a ride and noticed the seat post had slipped down about 15mm. I grabbed an allen wrench to see which one must had loosened up. I did not want the seat post to slide all the way down before I got home.
the left side didn't seem loose. I knew its only 8Kn. I went to the right side thinking it was only finger tight I must gave it a little too much and snapped the head off. Operator error. I really was trying to be careful.
It made me realize that could be a show stopper at a big race. I think spares would be nice to have in the tool kit.
Hoping to get into the Swissman this year. I would hate to assemble the bike when I get there, snap a bolt head off that easy and have to go shopping for a bolt like that in the middle of nowhere.
TSA cracked my custom GURU CR1 frame on the flight to Norway (the Norseman in 2014). I rode on a cracked carbon frame. Very spooky.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Alpinist909] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alpinist909 wrote:
Hey Dave, thanks for the fast response.
I was on a ride and noticed the seat post had slipped down about 15mm. I grabbed an allen wrench to see which one must had loosened up. I did not want the seat post to slide all the way down before I got home.
the left side didn't seem loose. I knew its only 8Kn. I went to the right side thinking it was only finger tight I must gave it a little too much and snapped the head off. Operator error. I really was trying to be careful.
It made me realize that could be a show stopper at a big race. I think spares would be nice to have in the tool kit.
Hoping to get into the Swissman this year. I would hate to assemble the bike when I get there, snap a bolt head off that easy and have to go shopping for a bolt like that in the middle of nowhere.
TSA cracked my custom GURU CR1 frame on the flight to Norway (the Norseman in 2014). I rode on a cracked carbon frame. Very spooky.

If you struggle to find the bolts please let me know, I also kept a few dozen spares in the raceday bag when I raced on an AR (same bolts) in the past. I've got a few of the production ti bolts I can part with now that I'm on a new bike.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New bikes are up: http://www.feltbicycles.com/...T-TRI/ia-series.aspx

The new models have the draft box pictured. I don't see any new accessories posted yet.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [srev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone seen sales on the outgoing models yet locally? I saw one online retailer was doing 20-30%, but nothing from the LBS. On the fence about picking up an IA 10, but if it drops down below $4k that would be pretty enticing.
Last edited by: Z28Diddy: Aug 28, 17 15:24
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [srev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
srev wrote:

The new models have the draft box pictured. I don't see any new accessories posted yet.

A draft box!!!! Its real!!

Disc brake model at Kona for 17,999?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't look like the draft box is much of an aero match for the bike (hopefully I'm wrong). The QBox looks like it would be more aero.

Coach of TriForce Triathlon Team

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like 2 different Bento Boxes. Can see on the IA16 , IA2. IA10 and FRD. Wonder if compatible with older model.

Hoping newer bikes have same bolt pattern also so Bento fits last years IA bikes.

IA BTSpac storage box

IA CALpac 2.0
Last edited by: blackadder: Aug 30, 17 8:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Felt.

Felt has a new "Calpac 2.0" full assembly coming out that is an improved design (no covers to blow off) and almost 30% more storage space. It will fit all generations of IA's. A lot of consumers are waiting for this part and the most up to date information we have is that they are expected to arrive in the California warehouse early October. As it gets closer we will know a closer date. Please keep in contact with your local Felt dealer who will be able to get this for you when they are available.

For the rear storage BTSpac (Behind The Seat tube Pac), these will also be available aftermarket. They will fit all IA double digit bikes(10, 14, 16), they will not fit earlier version of IA single digit (1, 2, 3, 4) as these frames do not have the mounts on the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [kevincoady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kevincoady wrote:
Doesn't look like the draft box is much of an aero match for the bike (hopefully I'm wrong). The QBox looks like it would be more aero.

Agree, looks like a bad afterthought, looks worse than the one Ceepo put on their frame...
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for information.

Kudos for them for finally pushing through with a little support for the IA bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blackadder wrote:
Thanks for information.

Kudos for them for finally pushing through with a little support for the IA bikes.

You are welcome. I've been following up with them every few weeks.

Unsure how good the draft box will be but better than what I have now, nothing. Also, if the calpac is better, and appears it is, and holds more then I think it is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
srev wrote:

A draft box!!!! Its real!!

Disc brake model at Kona for 17,999?

The latest I heard is no disc brake announcements for the IA10 at interbike. But they are working on it and hope to announce something in a few months, which imply the ability to purchase for next race season.

We shall see. He had no rumors of what Cervelo was doing about disc brakes, yet.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best I've seen here in Canada is $4550 for the 10, $3200 for the 14 and $2800 for the 16.
Quote Reply

Prev Next