Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot wait for both to arrive. The draft box will make me 0.75 MPH faster, easy. And, the Calpac should make me another 0.25 MPH faster for an even 1 MPH speed improvement. And, my bike will look cooler.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
trentnix wrote:
Cervelo seems to be up to something with their P-series. We'll see at Interbike.

Cervelo has an interesting product positioning conundrum... Most of the major players in the market have a single core TT frame design that spans their full product line. The differentiators as the products move up-line are carbon grade and component groups. There are a few exceptions (e.g. Felt B) that have a 2nd frame at a value price point. By default, the P2/P3 is Cervelo's value bike, but it is priced like the higher tier bikes of its competitors. It would be freaking awesome if Cervelo took its P5 core frame design and brought it down to the $3K price point. They would DOMINATE the market with that tactic.

Would love to see the P2/P3 with disc brakes. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we estimated a 1.2 mph gain, but you're close enough.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I just sent an email asking if the plan was still in place. Though, I won't leak the answer I receive. It's for them to release the info in due time.

The new Calpac is exactly what it looks like. Similar to other hard shell offerings, and well made. Seems to be very functional. Looking at the pick, you can also see they did away with the plastic "tower" on the undercarriage the rear brake cable used to run through.
I'll wait and see.
It looks somewhat similar to what I was considering trying to fabricate myself with Delrin or carbon for the base and silicone for the upper half. I still haven't gotten around to it, and this might do instead.
The cables tend to distort the existing Calpac. I wonder how well they route through this version. Access should definitely be better. It's unclear if there's any extra volume provided compared to the original.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an IA3. There are no hole provisions on the rear of the seat post to accommodate anything aftermarket. The higher number models do, but the single digits dont. (IA1,2,3,4,) I guess I'm SOL.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Formulagod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, you are SOL. If I were a betting man, I would bet that Felt updates the original IAx Frameset to have the rear seatpost dropouts they introduced with the newer IAxx frameset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They already have. Check the first post where I updated the photos.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet this, more than anything else, is the reason for the draft box delay. I bet the Felt product manager declared that they could not release the draft box until the new IAx frameset was ready for release. It does not explain the Calpac delay, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Umm, how about waiting for their dealer event? Or designing parts take time, then manufacturing molds, making enough parts to put in a container, put said parts in said container and waiting the month it takes to float them over to the states so you have parts ready to sell?

Making physical pieces is slow, painful, and tedious. I wish people would stop pretending that just cause they can get free 2 day shipping from amazon that parts just appear.

p.s. it did take a long time for Felt to get this done....might have had other priorities as well, limited resources and all.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe. Draft boxes have been around, what, 4-5 years? It's not like it was a brand new idea. I have been around enough product management and strategy work that there are often other intangible reasons for product delays that have nothing to do with design and manufacture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if the draft box and calpac come included with new IA purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [petshopboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty safe bet they do.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No more 14 then?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Existing one is still available but not sure how long. Guessing it is going away since you'd expect a color update alongside a spec change to 8000. But I don't know anything one way or the other, just speculating.

If you like that color you may want to jump on it.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about the new IA16, but want to upgrade to eTap. What would a typical LBS charge for an eTap install? Not sure if it just makes sense to go with the IA10. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We charge $1659, and install is included. If you want blip grips of Clics, there is an extra charge.

One thing to note - the extensions on these things are shorter than they should be, and when you lose the bar-end shifter it can make the extensions too short for proper use and fit. So be prepared to upgrade the extensions as well to a Profile T4 or Zipp Vuka Evo 70 for the best results. The alloy Vuka extensions are around $60, are lightweight, and work great.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good info!!! May make sense (at least financially) to go with the IA10, but I'm liking that red color....
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IA 10 also has an upgrade to the wheels, brakes, and crankset over the IA 16 (at least that was the story with the ones on our floor as of this moment - not sure if that's the case for the new colors).

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Trent.

Wanted a 14 but nobody had one local so I picked up a 14. Hoping I can get the new calpac and draft box soon. Any word on when?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No word.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like the same issue many have w/ the original will continue here...the design of the lower frame unit won't hold much int he way of gels/ food and most likely the top won't allow you to dig down and get that gell that is at the lowest part of the Calpac.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the new bikes look sweet. Questions for the Felt owners, which bike is a better value the IA16 or the B14? I've been looking at the IA14, but looks like that option is going away in the new model line. I'd be throwing on upgraded rims and wheels to either bike.

I know this winter should still be a good time to score a great deal on an IA14 leftover from my LBS; it just won't be the latest and greatest anymore.
Last edited by: Scottyren: Aug 11, 17 19:54
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Scottyren] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made that same decision a year ago and bought an IA16. I am so glad I did. The B14 is a good frame with very good components at a great price. The IA16 is a great frame with decent components at a higher price, but a great price for what it is. So, both are a great value, but the IA16 is a great performer. And, it is easy to upgrade all of the components... I did. You cannot easily upgrade the B14 frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the new ia16 colours. I think I'll be choosing between that and speed concept next year.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Scottyren] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the IA unless you're worried about a non uci legal bike. I have the DA and kind of wish I got the B Series sometimes so I could use standard stem but if I had to pick I would go IA if the extra money isn't a huge deal.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next