Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Does anyone happen to know what silver/gray color of the 3M 1080 Vinyl would match the silver/gray felt emblem in the seat tube of the 2016 IA16? Hard to tell using the online color charts.

Thank You,
Ron
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I just ordered an IA1 disc frameset. Should we start a new thread for the disc version of this bike or just keep it here?

New thread is ok imo.

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ridden the IA3 Disc? If so, what are your thoughts.

Im looking at getting either the 2019 IA3 Disc or the 2019 IA10.
I have some pricing from LBS and The spread is almost exactly a $1000 Difference.
Is the IA3 Disc worth the $1000 difference or is the IA10 the better bang in this price range.
I have ridden the 2019 IA10, but not the IA3 Disc.
Here are some of the differences I see, and some of my pros and cons.

Main Differences
1) Disk Brakes Vs Aero Brakes
2) Wheels (IA3-DT Swiss P1800 23mm / IA10-Devox 35A 35mm) & Hubs
3) Handelbars are different (IA3-Devox Dagger UHC Ultimate / IA10-Devox Bayonet 3 base bar)
4) Brake Levers (IA3-AeroTT Carbon / IA10-Shimano Ultegra R8060 TT/TRi)
5) Tru Axel Frame Vs Normal Drop outs

FELT IA10
Pros:
Less Expensive by $1000
Electronic Shifting
Weight is 1 Pound lighter (20.7 Lb)
Good Aero Breaks-Vision TriMax Aero caliper
Could buy Watt Meter with Savings
Could get a better seat with Savings

Cons:
No Thru Axel frame (I lost my teeth when a dropout broke)

----------------------------------------------------------------
FELT IA3
Pros:
Electronic Shifting
Disk Brakes (Mechanical-Easy to work on)
Thru Axel Frame
Black and white frame is a Better looking Frame than Grey
DT Swiss Wheels Vs Devox (Don’t know if which are better)

Cons:
More Expensive by $1000
Weight is 1 Pound Heavier (21.7 Lb)
Probably won’t get a watt meter till 2020
Probably won’t get a new seat right away
Disk Brakes could be an issue on swapping tires or renting race wheels with Disc.

Thanks
ZoomZoom
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [ZoomZoomZimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The most important component on the bike is the saddle. If you're considering sacrificing the saddle you're comfortable on, this is a silly discussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was actually looking at the 2019 ia16 vs 2019 ia3.

I figured the ia16 was the way to go. You get the frame, and could build it up over time. You can get some nice 28wide wheels and of to 25c tires if you need comfort. Upgrade to tririg brakes, deep wheels, and eventually di2 (i have a road set, so would just need the front end). You loose the slickness of front electronic shifting... but if you are in the small gear on a tt bike... you are losing....

Not sure what to think of mechanical disc brakes. Only ised hydraulic. Simplicity might be nice. Keeps things a bit lighter also...
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Jan 14, 19 16:26
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
I was actually looking at the 2019 ia16 vs 2019 ia3.

I figured the ia16 was the way to go. You get the frame, and could build it up over time. You can get some nice 28wide wheels and of to 25c tires if you need comfort. Upgrade to tririg brakes, deep wheels, and eventually di2 (i have a road set, so would just need the front end). You loose the slickness of front electronic shifting... but if you are in the small gear on a tt bike... you are losing....

Not sure what to think of mechanical disc brakes. Only ised hydraulic. Simplicity might be nice. Keeps things a bit lighter also...

I was on board with the IA3 too but have seriously considered the same thing (although I would upgrade to Di2 right away). I love the black frame!

With a Tririg front brake, I'm not sure if there is an aero penalty over the disc brake.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eventually upgrade to tririg omega bars, and you have a superbike. I am also a sucker for the black with tectreme. Even found rims with matching carbon...

Wife is blocking however. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
Eventually upgrade to tririg omega bars, and you have a superbike. I am also a sucker for the black with tectreme. Even found rims with matching carbon...

Wife is blocking however. Any ideas?

Don't tell her about it until she sees the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hahah. Did that a few years ago. It did not go well.

I figure i need to start loudly pining for a p5x. Change the computer wallpaper. Send her photos. Talk about it all the time. Just never shut up about it. Then settle for a 3000$ felt... you know... as a compromise.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Jan 14, 19 16:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
Hahah. Did that a few years ago. It dis not go well.

Tell her she is prettier than the bike and you opted for the less expensive bike (and buy her a gift)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
Rocket_racing wrote:
Hahah. Did that a few years ago. It dis not go well.

Tell her she is prettier than the bike and you opted for the less expensive bike (and buy her a gift)
Are you guys children?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for Rocket_racing but yes.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Are you guys children?

I would reply, but I have too many gummy bears in my mouth...
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Jan 14, 19 16:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough, as you were...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was having the same thoughts, a couple of weeks ago. I finally decided to go with the 2019 IA 10.
Reason behind it was, that I personally think that the benefit of disc brakes for my type of use would be marginal. Also I have a pair of really good aero wheels, which I would not be able to use with the bike. Selling them and gettin new ones would result in an additional increase in costs. I also wanted to have a different crankset (Rotor Vegast), and a different saddle (Fizik Mistica) and last but not least a proper bikefit. All these extras have been covered with the difference in costs.

So in the end I can tell you that I'm very happy with my decision.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [andreas78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also I have a pair of really good aero wheels, which I would not be able to use with the bike.

Obviously theres the immediate savings, but theres also the fact that if disc brakes really take over the market big time in the next 5 years, then the second hand market for wheels is going to be flooded with rim brake models. Hoping that drives the price down. I've got HED jet+ wheels, but hoping I can pick up a disc in a few years when the people who have to have the latest bike start switching to disc brakes.

I ended up with a 2017 IA16 (in early 2018). The current IA 10 was $4999. I got the year old IA16 for $2300. Upgraded to di2 for ~$800 (shopped for used parts), upgraded to tri rig alpha x and omega x brakes ~$1000 (with black friday discounts). Upgraded to new calpac for $70. So for an all in cost of around 4500 when you include tax, I ended up with a nicer ride than the new model IA10. And I liked the color better on the IA16 anyway. It's just a really good value. When you add in the race wheels and power meter I already had on the old bike, I feel like I have a super bike I have no business showing up to a race with, Haha.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [andreas78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies
Last edited by: ZoomZoomZimmer: Jan 21, 19 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So new bike built up. Well happy how it came out.
Alpha x really complements it IMO.

Going to change the shifter cables and run through base bar and tidy it up opposed to out the rear of extension bar.

Only issue i can potentially see if the angle cables will need to run through but only one way to find out.

Have to say the after service from guys over at tririg very impressive. Had a few queries which they answered promptly and in great detail. Kudos
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [Rodneyr1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks great!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [Rodneyr1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could get my front brake cable to exit that "straight" I assume the spacers help direct it down. I dont run spacers and it curves to the side significantly and I cant find a way to make it go straighter without kinking the cable housing.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS is offering me a new old stock 2017 IA16 for $2000 OTD... I did a test fit and the 54 seems spot on for me. Good Deal?

They are also offering to throw in a set of Oval w950 or w985's for $700. The 985's look amazing, but the 950's are probably a lot more practical.

Or I could forego the wheels altogether and get a set of cheap Chinese Carbon Clinchers or save up for a better brand...

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [stew560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike seems like a great deal. I would snag it. I would skip the wheels. Hold out for a set of FLO or HED wheels. And buy deep... no need to be practical. You are shopping for speed.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A newbie wrench question and I am almost embarrassed to ask.
I did a search and did not come up with anything concerning the rear brake cable on a Felt IA.

I am waiting on some components to do an upgrade on my IA16 to etap and Alpha 1 bars. Since I have not really done any major bike wrenching I was going to just drop off everything to a mechanic that I use, but I think I would like to do this myself this time since most of it is wireless. The only thing that makes me unsure is replacing the rear brake cable.

Is it very difficult to feed a new rear brake cable through the frame? Does it have a built in tube for the cable to feed through?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is stupid-easy to replace the rear brake cable. The whole cavity is open and naturally guides the cable from the front to the back. The only work is removing the calpac for access, but you may be able to do it with the calpac installed. I have not tried that to know for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA3 Disc Vs IA10 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect!! Thanks!

I watched a YouTube instructional video of a mechanic trying various methods of trying to fish a cable a road frame that made me nervous. Just did not want to get this started and screw it up. Although with me that is still very possible.
Quote Reply

Prev Next