Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Macca Spin Machine
Quote | Reply
This is amazing.

"GRIS", "DRUMMO", "MEL", "BERNIE", "ROXII", etc. - all newly registered today
"friends of Macca" all spinning the same line.

- He's a great guy - personal friend - just talked to him last week

- He was misquoted / taken out of context

- He might be cocky but he never ever said anything disrespectful about anyone.

- He's not a one-trick pony you know.

Hey new guy(s) - let's stop with all the revisionist history.

The guy is what he is - a great athlete who did do all the boasting and pooh-poohing of the competition. He should take his lumps, keep his mouth shut, train hard and come back and win it. He certainly has the talent. And my guess is he probably is a "great guy".

My last post on Macca.
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Spin Machine [jasinsf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's more we are offended by some comments made towards him that gets our nose up. The people you have mentioned are just some of the people from our own tri chat site in Oz and are by no means worshipping him. Should he "keep his mouth shut"?? I don't think so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Jasinfs.

Believe it or not we are actually all different people!!! Or are you so unbelieving?????

It just shows you that we are respectful of our all triathletes - especially the Aussie one's, and in return we develop great freindships. Many of these top athletes frequent our forum. They do not big note themselves, in fact they are most caing of even the slowest IM athletes. And guess what..thats me. Check if you must. I raced in IMA02 and finished in 15 hours and 15 minutes. Check the rest of our times and names...you will find that we are all seperate people.

Macca is a friend of many (although I know you find it difficult to understan or comprehend). Macca even bet me that he would personally present my medal at next years IMA race if I got to the start line. See, I was in a motrbike accident and have not been able to train since September 02. So, sorry if many of use seem a little defensive today.

Mel.
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Spin Machine [mel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heres another one Jasonfs , only I'm from your shores dude .

I agree Macca maybe puts too much pressure upon himself before Ironman, But the American media love him , cause they know he will give them a quote so they hound him . He had more media IVs this year than last years top 5 put together - go figure ?

And Jason he will win IMH soon and win it many times , look forward to your post then .
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Spin Machine [mel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey...I met Macca a few years ago at the Corner Brook ITU race. I heard all the hype about him well in advance so I was really excited about seeing him in person and watching him race. I was a close friend of one of the organizers who had to drive Macca around to various schools in town to meet the kids and talk about triathlon...I basically got to spend the entire day with him and it was amazing! He is a stand-up guy and really does a lot for the sport of triathlon, the kids thought he was great as well and Macca certainly didn't disappoint. In between getting shuttled off to the various schools he gave me lots of training advice and told lots of stories about training, racing, his mates back in Oz, etc...Sure he does his fair share of smack talk but that is Macca and that's what makes him so awesome! That day will always be remembered as 'my brush with greatness' day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jasinsf

The influx of Aussie's come from the following site where we've been alerted to your ~nasty~ ways

www.transitions.org.au

Feel free to jump on board and bag Macca on our Aussie site while you're at it. Go for it!

It's a sad state of affairs, particularly in this day and age with such world wars going on.

Bernie, Bernie & yours truly Bernie... et al
Last edited by: Bernie: Oct 21, 03 4:54
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Spin Machine [Bernie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! This is getting out of context. Its not a nationality issue!!! I like Macca, especially his stance on drafting, and Im sure he is a nice guy. I will root for him instead of US ITU guys any day! I am also a big fan of the Canadian Ironman contigent. And a big fan of Walton and Lessing. But the fact is that he did talk alot of smack in American Tri Mags, especially critizing the way the last two winners ran the race. Have you seen the articles? Thats why he is getting flack. He still has more fan than not in the US. People love when he does the nondrafting races in the US. He most likely will get on podium or win some year, and I am sure many Americans will be cheering him on. And it is great that even though he had a bad day he still finished in a great time of 9:35!! My PR and only IM is 14:07.

Cheers!

PS. Thanks for Elle.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Not just Elle, thanks for all the beautiful Aussie women [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Australia must be wall to wall with beautiful women because they seem to exporting hotties by the boatload. I have met at least 30 Australian women (I'm married so strictly as friends) in the states and they are all beautiful. What's up with that. Is it something in the water. What's your secret? Please share, for the benefit of mankind.

Sorry this off topic but I don't know who Macca is nor do I understand what has everybody so fired up.

Train safely.
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Spin Machine [OzHEDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think it's more we are offended by some comments made towards him that gets our nose up.

Why are you offended by the comments toward Macca? The guy sure can dish it out. He's a big boy. He should be able to take it.

Jasinsf hit the nail right on the head. Amen.

Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Spin Machine [haennp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macca is laughing all the way to the bank. Unlike most of his competitors, he is smart enough to know that everyone reacting to his comments is going to be watching him the next time he races. Whether we like him or not, we will also be looking at his bike, his shoes, sunglasses, etc. In other words, all his talk is what sponsors love: he generates interest, which is what being a professional is all about: making money from his(her) sport. Macca does it better than anyone in triathlon (and it seems to come naturally to him) and if I were a sponsor I would definitely want to sign him up. While it is too early to say he is the next David Beckham or Anna Kournikova (i.e. a rich athlete that never made it to the top of their game), he is making money and having fun.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Spin Machine [a.i.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with everything in your post except for the comparisons between Macca and Kournikova/Beckham. Macca is no circus act...he has simply dominated the short course for the last couple years and the transformation to long course is going well in my opinion. I find it amazing the IM performances he has laid down in such a short transition. Two IM wins and one awesome performance at Roth. If he was to win Kona the last two years he would have been legendary. However, he hasn't so he is catching all of this flack from people that are hanging on his every word. Why do people care what he says? I truly believe he does not run his mouth to disrespect anyone else...he is just trying to get in their head a little. All is fair in Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now Bern, where is your aloha? Jason is just stating his opinion.

Macca does talk smack (see most written interviews), but then, so does Steve Larsen and others. IMO, Macca won't do anything in Kona until he makes peace with Madame Pele. And to the Aussies--if the US press misquotes him 100% of the time, why haven't they been sued for libel? Or, at the least, been asked to retract the incorrect quotes?

Macca was a sweetheart when we saw him in Kona. (Photos to follow when I get time to get them up.)

And, to set the record straight, I spent a week in Taupo with Bernie in March and she is a sweetheart!

clm, back at work in sf

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've met Macca twice and he has been very friendly and expressed a genuine interest in my race and training. I really like him as a person - he seems very accessible to the average triathlete (like me). Maybe his comments are a bit cocky - but I think it reflects a confidence in his abilities (I'm assuming that one needs a lot of confidence to win an IM); it probably helps him mentally; maybe he is trying to psych out his opponents; maybe he knows that his comments will get (and more importantly - his sponsors) a lot of exposure in the media. Maybe not - maybe he's just cocky. Either way, I like him and respect him and usually will root for him.

Alan
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Spin Machine [SFTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still not sure what all the hubbub about Macca is about. To the best of my knowledge he has yet to let fly some lame excuse for his failure to meet his goal and race up to his pre-race confident talk. Seems to me he's pretty stand-up about his racing. Must be pretty crowded in his head though with all these people running around in it who seem to know better than he does that his words are nothing but hot air and boasting. The man man legitimately thought he could win. The man said so. The man raced. The man finished. The man didn't win. Big deal. Neither did 1500-odd other folks either. How many of them thought and said they would do better than they did Saturday? Are they all cocky too? Give it a rest already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding Beautiful Aussie women: Most women on the Australian mainland are beautiful because we put a ball and chain on the Fugly ones and send them down to Tasmania! (the little island below Australia). If you want to impress the Aussie women with your vast knowledge, just ask them to show you their map of Tassie!

I love you so
Kamahl
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree with you on the Macca observations have have to question your claim that David Beckham hasn't made it to the top of his game - Real Madrid paid around GBP 25m for him.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that this is a triathlon site - but I cannot let that comment about David Beckham go - he played for Man U (arguably the best Premier league side of recent years) and Real Madrid just paid GBP 25 million for him where he has joined Zidane, Ronanldo et al arguably the best players in the world - what does he have to do to be at the top of his game ? - plus unlike some other English footballers despite earning alot of money he comes across as a really good bloke.
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Spin Machine [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CLM, my friend!

I hope life's treating you well and you're training's on fire! I've reserved a spare bed in Sydney here for you, for Noosa (November) next year when you will come and stay with me. We'll have a ball!

Cheers Big Ears! :)

Bernie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we call you Bruce just to keep things straight??

Craig (monty python lover)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bernie,

Noosa may have to wait until 2005, but we'll see. I'm going back to the Tour de France with the Melbourne crew in 2004. Can't turn down a chance to see Lance go for #6!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Spin Machine [SFTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Either way, I like him and respect him and usually will root for him.

Alan

Considering the number of Aussies currently chiming into this thread, I wonder if you know what "root" means in Australia?

Reminds me of a particular comedy done in Australia imitating a well known cricket commentator:

"Merv, Merv, we love you Merv, Australia loves you, the whole world loves you......get him up here, I want to boof him....." (the Aussies will understand).
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Spin Machine [craigwsullivan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Craig Baby, I ain't no Bruce! I'm a sheila (a girl) :o)

As per Camel, 'Rooting' is that thing they do on Discovery channel. If you want to root for me, go for it! I like to watch.

Bernie ;o)
Last edited by: Bernie: Oct 23, 03 6:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make up your mind. Is it Bernie or Sheila? I think we should just call you bruce to keep it straight!

;-)
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Spin Machine [craigwsullivan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is old, but I just got back, sooo... I have to comment on this.

I said it before that the sport NEEDS a MACCA in it, otherwise it's just boring. Macca should run his mouth all year round, because without that, the sport will never be interesting to the average triathlete. Of course, those in the "know" will always watch their favorite athletes, and their friends. But what this sport needs to grow is someone to make it interesting. Seriously, IMHI had so many stories this year, and ESPN did a 10 Second piece late night on Saturday.

Why is Macca on the cover of Triathlete Mag and not someone else??? Because everyone else will give quotes like, "I've trained hard..." Macca says, "screw the whole Island God farse, I am here to win, and the Island Gods can take a hike for 8 hours while I win." (ok ok, he said that in so many words)

He's the man.
Quote Reply