Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Macca Elephant in the Room
Quote | Reply
So, he’s in the States according to his Twitter feed. I’m tiptoeing here to respect Dan’s rules, but wasn’t there some controversy at his last Kona race involving a female friend of pro surfer Sunny Garcia (which Dan covered in an article I’m too lazy to look up) that made it seem like setting foot on American soil could be a problem for him?

Don’t mean to stir up stuff but just a wonderin’.....

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All speculation, no charges filed, not convicted of anything, so free to enter and leave the country like anywhere else, i am guessing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it is all cleared up. I can't see him being that much of an idiot to set foot in the US if there are legal challenges and then posting it on twitter if he's not legally here. Thoughts? I have not seen the twitter post, but maybe his way of implying he's all clear and off the hook?
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Setting foot on US (mainland) soil in the absence of any criminal charges is one thing.

Showing up in Hawaii after you've run afoul of someone like Sunny Garcia is another. There were Aussie pro surfers back in the mid-70s who couldn't safely show their faces there for years after pissing off locals.
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but has skipped the last few Kona's which is strange for an innocent former champ. Although in saying that he might have to front up this year due to his employer qualifying. BTW I've been out of the loop for a while, what IM did the Sheikh qualify in? I think he's around 30ish which would put him in a very competitive AG......he must have been around the 9:30 mark to get to Kona.
Last edited by: sjc166: Apr 27, 18 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were walking down to the swim practice this morning and I think I saw him running on the water way path.
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [sjc166] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He qualified in the military division of the Bahrain 70.3 iirc
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a joke...

Sean H wrote:

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm. Wonder how many Bahrain military athletes dared to participated in that category.....and even attempt to beat the Commander of Bahrains Royal Guard. Comical at best.
Last edited by: sjc166: Apr 27, 18 18:06
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [sjc166] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjc166 wrote:
hmmm. Wonder how many Bahrain military athletes dared to participated in that category.....and even attempt to beat the Commander of Bahrains Royal Guard. Comical at best.

Well he spent more and went faster than the eBay slot guy so what the heck!

OK here is the news clip from Newsofbahrain.com:

http://www.newsofbahrain.com/...d=&MNU=&SUB=

Shaikh Nasser qualifies for 2018 World Triathlon Championship in Hawaii
By: dt news

, Posted on 26-Nov-2017

Manama : His Highness Shaikh Nasser bin Hamad Al Khalifa secured a berth in the 2018 World Triathlon Championship in Hawaii by producing an incredible performance in the IRONMAN 70.3 Middle East Championship Bahrain yesterday.
Shaikh Nasser set a course record of 4.12:53 hours in the amateurs and military category by beating more than 2000 opponents in the ultimate test of body, mind and spirit. “I knew that the race would not be easy, especially since we will compete with many champions, but we have set a great example by giving Bahrain the first place,” said Shaikh Nasser.
Considered the most challenging one-day sporting event in the world, each year, more than 80,000 athletes reportedly compete for slots in the Ironman world champion at qualifying events all over the world, with only around 2000 make it to the start line of the race in Kona.
IRONMAN 70.3 Middle East Championship Bahrain offers 40 qualifying slots for the 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship in Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa and 10 from the Military slots for the 2018 IRONMAN World Championship in Kona, Hawaii.
His Highness dedicated the victory to His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, His Royal Highness Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa, the Prime Minister and His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the Crown Prince, Deputy Supreme Commander and First Deputy Prime Minister and to the people of Bahrain.
“This great achievement is an appreciation to all young Bahrainis,” said the Representative of His Majesty the King for Charity Works and Youth Affairs, Chairman of the Supreme Council for Youth and Sports, President of Bahrain Olympic Committee.
His Highness Shaikh Nasser finished the swimming race in 28 minutes and 56 seconds, cycling in two hours and 13 minutes and crossed the finish line, after completing the running race, in one hour and 27 minutes.
When asked what went well for him to claim victory in the event, Shaikh Nasser said, “This victory didn’t come out of a vacuum. Ambitions and enormous desire led us to this great victory.”
Shaikh Nasser was cheered during the event by his children, HH Shaikha Sheema, HH Shaikh Hamad and HH Shaikh Mohammed.
Winners were crowned by His Highness Shaikh Faisal bin Rashid Al Khalifa, Vice President of the Supreme Council for Environment, President of the Bahrain Royal Equestrian and Endurance Federation, Hesham bin Mohammed Al Jodar, Minister of Youth and Sports Affairs and Abdulrahman Askar, General Secretary of the Supreme Council for Youth and Sport and Amal Al Murbati, the Managing Director of Faalyat Management Co.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't he have a motorcade that he basically drafts the entire bike?
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Doesn't he have a motorcade that he basically drafts the entire bike?

I heard the motorcode drafts him (OK OK, pink font). Seriously though, you still have to run 1:27 off the bike. His open half marathon would still need to be around 1:21.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems wrong that you can qualify for the full by only racing the half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats the half ironman rule of thumb for times. sounds like you are adding 10% on the run?
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
It seems wrong that you can qualify for the full by only racing the half.

Lots of military guys qualify at Superfrog. I know one guy who qualified at Superfrog 2016 for Kona 2017 and before going to race at Kona 2017, he qualified for Kona 2018 at Superfrog 2017. So before he went to do a single Kona, he had already qualified for the next two Konas at the past two Superfrog events. Honestly, when I heard that story, I was kind of annoyed because it was also a 50+ military division slot. I don't think they should have any military division slots that are age group. It should just be open. And I've done Kona 3 times and I was still annoyed.

And to your point about qualifying for Kona at a half IM, in the 1990's most of the qual slots WERE from half IM's.
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
What a joke...

Sean H wrote:

Still, 4:12 is 4:12. Even if he gets some draft on the bike. This isn’t Hines Ward or something. I’ve only done a few halfs, but enough to know that a 4:12 is stupid fast.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems wrong that you can qualify for the full by only racing the half. //

And yet for the majority of our history we have been able to qualify at olympic and 1/2 distance for Kona. Only recently has it been an almost ironman distance exclusive to get into Kona. So to me it seems wrong that they changed it, not what it is now. All about perspective I guess. Bet a lot of pros wished they could get in the like the old days, one and done and you can set up to have your best race at Kona. Not some season long qualifying process that trashes most and you are just happy to participate come October..
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
St. Anthony’s in Tampa / St. Pete, used to be a barn burner Olympic Distance race where you could qualify for Kona. I had a friend do it and they got at ticket to the big show. Not bad for a race the person was able to drive to, take a single day off work, and pay an entry fee of under $100.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Apr 27, 18 19:37
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 27, 18 21:43
Quote | Reply
I seem to recall a friend telling me he his KQ came at wildflower Oly (not long)? Was that the case? I know WF was a qualifier at one point
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WF LC was a qualifier for years. I don’t remember the oly being one.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Classic thread derail!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorta kinda, huh? lol

Cheers

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: The Macca Elephant in the Room [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I seem to recall a friend telling me he his KQ came at wildflower Oly (not long)? Was that the case? I know WF was a qualifier at one point

I tracked Wildflower from 1988 till they did not have slots anymore (I think around 2002). They never had KQ at the Olympic. 1996, I missed a KQ slot by 8 second. I raced out of the regular age grouper wave and the guy who beat me raced out the Elite age grouper wave ran 1:35 and I ended up in 1:28....shoulda coulda woulda, but I THINK if we were out of the same wave, and it was a foot race, I'd have smelled him 40m up the road!!!! As it was I raced the entire race mainly solo. That was before USAT banned elite age group waves. In any case I was pretty bummed I did not get that KQ but I THINK I may have quit the sport had I got that KQ. It took my 10 more years to finally get one by which point, I realized that whether I race or not, I'm in the sport for life because I enjoy the process. Today, I am not doing any racing due to a disc/nerve problem but still train almost 2 hrs per day (swim, weights, rowing machine).

OK, back to the Macca story!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
It seems wrong that you can qualify for the full by only racing the half. //

And yet for the majority of our history we have been able to qualify at olympic and 1/2 distance for Kona. Only recently has it been an almost ironman distance exclusive to get into Kona. So to me it seems wrong that they changed it, not what it is now. All about perspective I guess. Bet a lot of pros wished they could get in the like the old days, one and done and you can set up to have your best race at Kona. Not some season long qualifying process that trashes most and you are just happy to participate come October..

I obviously have no idea about how qualifying works/worked.
Quote Reply

Prev Next