Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Lionel Thread
Quote | Reply
if you guys want to write about lionel, fine. but if you write the same "less than well-considered opinions" [moderator's edit of his own text] that got written in the thread i pulled, i'll pull this one too.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 12, 19 19:47
Quote Reply
Re: The Lionel Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I saw the title I thought you finally created a singular official Lionel thread to contain all the talk on here

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don’t get it... we can’t say lionel needs a coach and is possibly not coachable?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: The Lionel Thread [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
i don’t get it... we can’t say lionel needs a coach and is possibly not coachable?

I actually wonder the same. Sincerely. Not sure what could have been frowned upon on that thread.
Quote Reply
Re: The Lionel Thread [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:

he placed 2nd at IM tremblant, the first race back after many months of injury. he followed that up 2 weeks ago beating a quality field in augusta in 3:42.

as i adjudge his race today, he swam great. he rode great. and he ran great. until he didn't. he placed himself in the same position as AB, anything can happen in kona, and he and AB both threw down. they both went for the win, and had similar races. when mark allen had the same number of kona starts under him as lionel, he had the same number of kona wins as lionel.

i'm trying to save you from yourself. i'm trying to coach you to be a rational interlocutor. but are you possibly not coachable?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Lionel Thread [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rodchaves31 wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:

I actually wonder the same. Sincerely. Not sure what could have been frowned upon on that thread.

this is precisely the problem. that you are not sure.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:

i'm trying to save you from yourself. i'm trying to coach you to be a rational interlocutor. but are you possibly not coachable?

ok there boss.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg Welch took 7 tries before he won just like Mark but until he did he was just another guy who hadn't won in Kona only without the fanfare and YouTube channel...
People will pile on Lionel for sure,some of it fair and some not but please don't be using Marks career and Lionel's in the same context just yet.It is pretty hard to compare Marks era with only seven Ironman's in the world to today where there are a shitload of races and a shitload of multiple Ironman winners.Like I have always said I believe the most underrated Ironman in the world was Ray Browning with 7 wins in an era when there were so few Ironman's to choose from.These days every half decent pro has half a dozen wins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
rodchaves31 wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:

this is precisely the problem. that you are not sure.

Care to explain what specifically about the thread was worthy of being pulled?

I honestly tried to write it in as PC of a way as possible.

I simply made an observation in hopes he reads it as we all believe he still comes into ST here and there.

Sometimes I feel Lionel and to a degree Talbot are a bit more protected in this forum than other triathlon personalities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this CHINA!!! joking , joking, not really these days.

I would say Lionel did awesome without a coach.
Ali needs a better coach.

One guy is a wild card and the other has two gold medals???

Not to stir the pot.
just to say that sport is hard and arm chair quarterbacks in triathlon have a big hindsight button and have no idea what each person overcame during a 8 hour battle in hellish conditions.

We should just get to talk about each commentator during their next race too.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The Lionel Thread [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Greg Welch took 7 tries before he won just like Mark but until he did he was just another guy who hadn't won in Kona only without the fanfare and YouTube channel...
People will pile on Lionel for sure,some of it fair and some not but please don't be using Marks career and Lionel's in the same context just yet.It is pretty hard to compare Marks era with only seven Ironman's in the world to today where there are a shitload of races and a shitload of multiple Ironman winners.Like I have always said I believe the most underrated Ironman in the world was Ray Browning with 7 wins in an era when there were so few Ironman's to choose from.These days every half decent pro has half a dozen wins.

i raced against mark allen as far back as USTS long beach in 1982. i saw that career. i also spectated ray browning's career as well, as he won most of his ironmans in bikes i provided for him, starting with his win at IMNZ in 1987. (i provided his wetsuits too, apropos of nothing.) i think i'm in a pretty good position to compare the careers of lionel with those of mark and ray. i think mark would think lionel's doing just fine.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Lionel Thread [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
Care to explain what specifically about the thread was worthy of being pulled?

no. not really.

907Tri wrote:
Sometimes I feel Lionel and to a degree Talbot are a bit more protected in this forum than other triathlon personalities.

cry me a river.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

i raced against mark allen as far back as USTS long beach in 1982. i saw that career. i also spectated ray browning's career as well, as he won most of his ironmans in bikes i provided for him, starting with his win at IMNZ in 1987. (i provided his wetsuits too, apropos of nothing.) i think i'm in a pretty good position to compare the careers of lionel with those of mark and ray. i think mark would think lionel's doing just fine.

I am well aware of your history as an athlete and with QR but despite that Lionel's career does not come close to Marks.It may in the future but not even in the same time zone now.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Oct 12, 19 20:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What so people are only allowed to write their opinions now if it agrees with yours?

Unless there was something written that could open this forum up to possible legal action no reason to delete a thread or posts. Especially given the past penchant for bullying on here which you've tolerated, you can use that bs excuse either.
Quote Reply
Re: The Lionel Thread [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Slowman wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

I am well aware of your history as an athlete and with QR but despite that Lionel's career does not come close to Marks.It may in the future but not even in the same time zone now.

i agree. lionel's career now, midway through it, is not nearly as accomplished as mark's full career, esp after mark learned how to race IM after his 5 or 6 failures and near misses.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

I raced against Lance Armstrong in the Texas 70.3 one year. On top of that, they used to talk about Lance on this forum as much as they talk about Lionel now. I also ate a big burrito for dinner tonight, but I didn’t put guacamole on it this time. Any other questions?
Quote Reply
Re: The Lionel Thread [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its his forum and his rules and he won't take the time to explain himself either.

But the consistency is lacking with how some people are treated (ex; Lionel) on this forum in terms of what is said about them versus others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lionel is very reminiscent of Chris Lieto
Quote Reply
Re: The Lionel Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 guys who were members in good standing here 10 minutes ago no longer are. i will,regrettably, ungoodstanding others, if that's what they want.

do you guys actually race triathlons? do ironmans? because i think some of you just must not. a guy threw down, laid it out there, was in contention for 6 of the 8 hours, broke down, and finished nonetheless. if you want to discuss him, fine. if you want to respectfully critique him, fine.

if you want harsh on him, that's fine too. but not tonight.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
Its his forum and his rules and he won't take the time to explain himself either. But the consistency is lacking with how some people are treated (ex; Lionel) on this forum in terms of what is said about them versus others.

there is no inconsistency here. see my post above. i don't mind someone not understanding my point here. but i don't feel obligated to host jackassery.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
2 guys who were members in good standing here 10 minutes ago no longer are. i will,regrettably, ungoodstanding others, if that's what they want.

do you guys actually race triathlons? do ironmans? because i think some of you just must not. a guy threw down, laid it out there, was in contention for 6 of the 8 hours, broke down, and finished nonetheless. if you want to discuss him, fine. if you want to respectfully critique him, fine.

So we can be harsh on people just not on certain nights?

Do we need to have a 24-hour post race window before we post?

Honestly some transparency on this would go a long way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So true Dan, things can go from bad to worse quickly in Kona or any other IM IMHO. And as for Ray, I agree, what he did back in the day of the IM World Series was impressive. Didn’t Ken Glah and ST chase that series as well?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
Slowman wrote:

So we can be harsh on people just not on certain nights?

Do we need to have a 24-hour post race window before we post?

Honestly some transparency on this would go a long way.

well, yeah. sort of. i guess. why don't you give it 72 hours? and then be an ass. i'll probably be okay with it. alternatively, you can burn a few brain mitochondria a little hotter and figure out how to say what you want to say in a way that lionel, if he heard it from you face to face, would continue the conversation with you. because he very probably will read what you write and i guess i'm feeling that proximity matters. i stopped eating anything 2 years ago that i wouldn't myself kill. i bring this up only in the context of proximity. we do things when we lose proximity that we don't do when face to face with the object of our behavior.

the fact that you won't see lionel's reaction to what you write shouldn't give you the comfort or the license to write it. not in any honorable world. wait until he's a couple days removed from his race before you write like a dick. or, figure out how to write it without being a dick (which will probably give your opinion even more force).

when i don't have the race i want, and i'm 10hr of plane travel from home, and my plane doesn't leave in 2 days, and i'm in so much physical pain my hair hurts, i really don't want to read the stuff about me only a jackwagon would write. i don't think lionel would either.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, I think what impressed me the most today, besides Jan's performance, was watching several athletes clearly not having their best day, but refusing to quit.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

I'm a fat old white has-been doing my 27th Ironman at IM Malaysia, Langkawi in two weeks and I am sure I won't be throwing down like Lionel.There is a good chance I will throw up though.I just hope I make it to the finish line before the beer and burger tent is closed.

I think Lionel is good for the sport as he is a character who has us headbutting walls in frustration at the way he does things.We like that but having a social media presence like his will not only lead to higher expectations but bigger pushback as well when shit goes dramatically wrong.It is just the nature of the beast with social media personalities these days.
Quote Reply

Prev Next