Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Great Canadian, Heather Wurtele Announces Retirement
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Heather on an incredible journey and career these last 12 years!!

An amazing athlete and a quality person! You made Canada proud!!

https://www.facebook.com/...502154575943?sfns=mo

Never give up!
Last edited by: tryandtri: Oct 21, 19 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: The Great Canadian, Heather Wurtele Announces Retirement [tryandtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, she was GOOD!!

"I never reached my goal of being a world champion but I’m very proud of all the years I was in the mix. I was top 10 at the 70.3 World Championships every year from 2011 to 2017 and finished on the podium at the 70.3 World Championships 3 years in a row. I won 7 Ironmans, ending my career on a high with a win at the final edition of Ironman Canada in Whistler this summer. I was top 15 every time I finished that damn race in Kona, 3rd at ITU Long Course Worlds, and, well, the list goes on, but, eye-roll..."
Quote Reply
Re: The Great Canadian, Heather Wurtele Announces Retirement [tryandtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be honest, Trevor and Heather were one of the first triathletes I found/saw when I started getting into this. I watched some of his race recap videos and laughed so hard! I'll be sad that half of Team Wuertle is calling it a career (Not sure if Trevor is going to follow suit or not, but I'd totally understand if he did just to be with Heather doing whatever makes them happy), but I hope not. I hope to see them both still being ambassadors of the sport. Such a great duo, and I wish her nothing but success in the rest of her journey!

**been watching their fun adventures on the dirt...and the smiles on their faces say it all.
Quote Reply
Re: The Great Canadian, Heather Wurtele Announces Retirement [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was worded to indicate they are both retiring.
Quote Reply
Re: The Great Canadian, Heather Wurtele Announces Retirement [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
It was worded to indicate they are both retiring.
I guess it does... Lots of "we"s in there. lol

Well, I wish them both the best of luck in whatever they do. They'll be missed.
Quote Reply
Re: The Great Canadian, Heather Wurtele Announces Retirement [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was always a bit odd how they shared social media accounts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not surprised. Their feed hasn't had much training in it since July. Good for them, they seem like great people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tryandtri wrote:
Congratulations Heather on an incredible journey and career these last 12 years!!

An amazing athlete and a quality person! You made Canada proud!!

https://www.facebook.com/...502154575943?sfns=mo

For a few years, she was really the only Canadian competing at the highest level and yes she made Canada proud
both were the nicest of folks too

Wonder what retired athletes do? Most go into coaching I guess or something related to the sport?
Quote Reply
Re: The Great Canadian, Heather Wurtele Announces Retirement [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
Wonder what retired athletes do? Most go into coaching I guess or something related to the sport?

The good news is their income can only go up from that of a pro triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: The Great Canadian, Heather Wurtele Announces Retirement [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those that don’t know just how well-rounded these two are... in terms of: intelligence and athleticism... Heather has a Masters in Plant Biology and Molecular Genetics (Started her PHD while living in Norway but decided to try Triathlon full time) ... Trevor, was a Currency Trader before they became the Canadian duo on the Tri circuit.

I always find it fascinating when pro triathletes retire and seems like a vast majority of them turn to coaching. These two have so many options and undoubtedly new doors always open when it’s the right time. They’re the ultimate trifecta: brains, athleticism and integrity!!

Whatever they do, it’ll be done well!!

Never give up!
Quote Reply