Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The DreamCrusher Express needs new dancing shoes! Which tires to get for a P5-3?
Quote | Reply
The title says it all.

I've been running Conti 4kS's, then 4k2S's in 23C on my P5-3 since the beginning.

Wheels are HED Jet 90 C2 (from back in like '09 when this was a "wide" rim - it's like the Belgium road rim in width) up F,
and a DT Swiss standard (thin) road rim in the back, PT G3 hub & Aerojacket cover for racing.

Now that GP5k's are a thing - should I get those instead?

I'm looking for the best blend of RR and aero, bike itself will be mostly race-only from now on, as I have a proper road bike to train on.
But - the roads in my area are crap in some places, so a decent all-around tire is probably preferable to full-on race tires that puncture too easily.

And if so, in what size???

It seems the GP4k2S's ran wider than listed by ~2mm, while the 5k's run 'only' 1mm wider.

ST bike intelligencia - what say ye?

Thanks much in advance!
ML

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: The DreamCrusher Express needs new dancing shoes! Which tires to get for a P5-3? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just put a set of 5000's 25mm on my HED Jet blacks today. They seem like a good fit width wise. The rubber feels more supple than the 4000's and the tires went on a little easier. I'm using them with the pink vittoria latex tubes, same I was using with the 4000's..
Quote Reply
Re: The DreamCrusher Express needs new dancing shoes! Which tires to get for a P5-3? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I just put a set of 5000's 25mm on my HED Jet blacks today. They seem like a good fit width wise. The rubber feels more supple than the 4000's and the tires went on a little easier. I'm using them with the pink vittoria latex tubes, same I was using with the 4000's..

I think the newer HED wheels like the Jet Blacks, are even wider than my old "wide" Jet C2's.

So, while I really dig the idea of running 25's for RR and comfort, I think they might "lightbulb" too much on my (relatively) narrower rims.
And thus start to incur an aero cost.

Guess that means I'll probably have to go w/ a 23 up front.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: The DreamCrusher Express needs new dancing shoes! Which tires to get for a P5-3? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why not Vittoria Corsa Speed 23mm?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The DreamCrusher Express needs new dancing shoes! Which tires to get for a P5-3? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
why not Vittoria Corsa Speed 23mm?

Dunno? I've been using Conti's for forever now, and they've always seemed like a solid combo of fast & durable.

I used to use the Bonty TT tires on the race steed, back when they were a thing - and they were very fast, but also very fl_t prone.
And the fl_ts they would get, were often catastrophic. Big gashes.
My concern is that these might be similar in that regard.

I'm not running tubeless tires on any road or TT bikes, so would those great RR #'s still hold up when tubes (latex) are added into the equation?
And since I'm not going tubeless, I think they'd very fl_t-prone on the roads where I live.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The latex of a tube or the latex of a tubeless is effectively the same thing... no additional Crr.

I feel like flats can be controlled by racing only on the good parts of the road, proper tire pressure, and pre treating your tubes with additional latex sealant for A races.

That said, for C2 rims, it’s either the old Conti SS 20mm tires (I have one to sell, LOL) or something current, and current would be Vitoria Corsa Speed 23mm

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply