Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Collins Cup: Pro Game Changer?
Quote | Reply
When the Collins Cup was announced last fall, I was open-minded — but I wasn't entirely convinced the pros were going be able to pull it off. It sounded crazy ambitious. One of the biggest questions I had was how they'd ever get a live audience to show up. With Roth as the launch venue next summer, I think there's a possibility that they’re putting together a product that has the potential to really mix things up for the pro sport.

Three more reasons I’m optimistic:

1. The introduction of an independent athlete ranking system. I wanted to cheer, when I saw the PTO ranking system included in the Roth announcement. The pros have needed this so badly. It can be leveraged to build energy, excitement and an audience throughout the year — and it can be sponsored. So great — and bravo to Thorsten Radde for designing the algorithm that drives it.

2. Wasserman's involvement. They're one of the top media and talent groups out there, and they’re executive producers for the race broadcast. They do exceptionally good work.

3. Many of the top pros have deleted Ironman's name from their Twitter profiles and are simply identifying themselves as professional triathletes. Jan Frodeno's bare-bones profile was the first one that caught my eye, causing me to check others. Not everyone has done it, but a lot have. While it may seem like a small detail, I'm guessing: it may be a sign that the pros are taking other steps behind the scenes to create a balanced platform for themselves — which would be good for everyone in the industry, Ironman included, if so.

My additional two cents — these are four business model elements that would be great for the pros and the race — hopefully they're all already in play:

1. A PTO ownership stake in the race — or, absent outright ownership, allocation of a percentage of all of the race’s media rights, sponsor and merchandise revenues to the PTO.

2. A basic, subsistence appearance fee for every pro who participates, no matter where they and their team place in the race.

3. Not only a live TV broadcast of the event, but also live streaming on Twitter, Amazon or YouTube.

4. Independent of the Collins Cup — introduction of a well-designed, integrated pro website and mobile app, making it easier to follow the pros across all races and creating a platform for sponsors to get involved with the pros directly in a variety of ways, throughout the year.

I'm not completely starry eyed — they still have huge sponsorship and production challenges ahead — that said, to me, the early signs are really promising. I'm watching with continued interest.
Quote Reply
Re: The Collins Cup: Pro Game Changer? [MarianGibbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Following up on this post to link to two relevant articles.

First, from Bloomberg today re. niche sports broadcasting on Twitter. As noted in the article, production companies are springing up/costs are coming down. Added bonus: if Ironman were to pursue this route too.

Second, from early last week ESPN has redesigned and relaunched their pro cricket website and mobile app. Both can be personalized by users, feature brief highlight clips of matches, interviews with players and new material all week long. That keeps users coming back repeatedly -- and that makes sponsor-partners happy. There aren't a lot of bells and whistles, but it is a good model of a basic single sport website and app.

It would be great for the PTO/pros to develop something like it for long-distance pro tri, including each pros' individual race history and coverage of all of the pro races each weekend -- Ironman, Challenge and any other independent races. With just those two features, the pro sport would be much easier to follow than it is now. And more features and modules can be added over time, especially now that the PTO has a ranking system.
Quote Reply
Re: The Collins Cup: Pro Game Changer? [MarianGibbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
judging by the number of replies to the OP, i'm guessing not a game changer.
Quote Reply
Re: The Collins Cup: Pro Game Changer? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they want to change the pro game, they need some more cocky triathletes who can win talking trash and calling out rivals. (like Macca vs Norman Stadler or Mark Allen/Dave Scott). All the pro's are friendly towards each other and no one is out there calling anyone out. The only exception I find is Lionel Sanders. He is active in calling out drafting abuses and the fact that he wants to race Jan Frodeno in his prime.

We need a good feud or other dynamics that make us want to see what happens
Quote Reply
Re: The Collins Cup: Pro Game Changer? [Consultri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No please let's not. Our sport should not be a reality TV show.

Pretty sure this isn't popular because we all suffer from pro cup fatigue. MLT was announced and how did that go? Rev 3 stadium supersprints? Not to mention four competing nondrafting circuits, plus ITU. We are in no want of another race series. And even if we were, absolutely no one would expect it to succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: The Collins Cup: Pro Game Changer? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
No please let's not. Our sport should not be a reality TV show.

Pretty sure this isn't popular because we all suffer from pro cup fatigue. MLT was announced and how did that go? Rev 3 stadium supersprints? Not to mention four competing nondrafting circuits, plus ITU. We are in no want of another race series. And even if we were, absolutely no one would expect it to succeed.

Yeah... Collins Cup....yawn.

I don't fully understand it, but it seems like a some type of TT in a mixed gender team format...for long course.

Hamburg mixed team relays are 1-2 weeks after and always way more popular and fun to watch.

Can we just finally give up on the whole "lets find a way to make long course triathlon a spectator friendly, tv watchable sport" and just accept that it is a very bland event to watch for a very niche group of athletes?
Quote Reply
Re: The Collins Cup: Pro Game Changer? [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happened with this? I can't really see much online except it was put back a year
Quote Reply
Re: The Collins Cup: Pro Game Changer? [Simo429] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simo429 wrote:
What happened with this? I can't really see much online except it was put back a year

No news I really doubt this will take off? The format is not exactly exciting IMHO, the way i understand it, pros will be racing "each other". For long distance triathlon, it ain't going to work. Someone could be out of the swim 10 mins ahead of the next person and might extend this further on the bike and this yawning gap will never be closed. Its just not a compelling format
Quote Reply