Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Big Kahuna--the final numbers!
Quote | Reply
Another year in the books!

We had 203 entrants this year with 36 (18%) achieving at least the bronze. 3 of us crossed the 20k line in the last two days and we ended up with 11 Big Kahunas (5%). Here are the 11:

1. kerikstri 28,034
2. anakinpm 25,140
3. Herbert 24,152
4. TJ56 23,384
5. ericmulk 23,014
6. devanshish_paul 22,697
7. still moving 22,060
8. Scot 20,266
9. rcmioga 20,033
10. Eljeffe76 20,021
11. do3b 20,016

Looking back over the last 5 years, we can make a number of (somewhat) interesting observations:

-The top 3 this year have the 3 highest ST point totals in the Big Kahuna challenge
-The number of entrants has grown steadily--it was 74 in 2016, 148 last year and 203 this year
-Over these 5 years, there have been 19 BK level point totals--this is about 2.7% of the total entrants.
-11 STers have been in the challenge for these last 5 years--stillmoving has the most points during this time (103,760), with dev paul close behind at 101,383--these are the only two to average 20,000+ over the last 5 years.
-These two also are the only STers with 3 20,000 point seasons. anakinpm, Scot and rcmioga has 2 20,000+ seasons

These is pretty significant difference in points/hour across the 11 BK winners--a function of mix and pace. Scot was the highest at 29.7 and rcmioga was the lowest at 17.0

Although, I'm a bit of the outlier (ie, I'm way slower than others) here are my stats for the year:

Time: 1,179 hours
Swim: 164k
Bike: 12,926 miles
Run: 1,367 miles

Hopefully BK11 will be up shortly!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: The Big Kahuna--the final numbers! [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
Hopefully BK11 will be up shortly!

Yarp!

Happy New Year, all you awesome exercisers :)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the challenge; I've medaled every year since we started. I got another silver this year.

When you get the new challenge set up, I've got a 7 mile run yesterday and a 28 mi bike + 4200m swim today toward the new point count.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice one. I'm in for Big Kahuna 11
It'll be good to now who's who on Strava too so we can follow/Kudos/stalk
I'll start, I'm https://www.strava.com/athletes/5420936
Quote Reply
Re: The Big Kahuna--the final numbers! [SidSnot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any reason we can’t use a private “club” on Strava?
Quote Reply
Re: The Big Kahuna--the final numbers! [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see why not
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not realize where I was at until Herbert passed 20K points, which prompted me to see how much I had left to get there.

But my formula is not an annual formula. It is really simple. I have one primary workout per day and one secondary workout for the day. The primary workout is target 60-90 min, the secondary workout 30+ minutes. The daily target is 2 hrs. If I am below 2 hrs often, I will go set on the spin bike for some recovery spinning to get me over 2 hrs. This process repeats day over day over day. On weekends, my target is 3 hrs per day. It does not matter what the sports are, I want to add up to around 3 hrs per day.

Basically this gets me to 16 hrs per week if I hit every day of the year in terms of a minimum of 2 hrs on weekdays and 3 hrs on weekends. Most weeks just end up being at least 14 hrs, but many blow past 16 hrs consistently.

But the plan is simple: Mon-Fri 2+ hrs per day, Sat-Sun 3 hrs+ per day.

For me the key is not any big days, just always keep moving. And on every day, keep at least a hard 5K worth of energy that you never use in training, but you have in reserve for life. I can't perform in life if I am totally cooked from the day before. This is even more important from Sunday workouts as I can't spend all of Monday fried and not performing. If this simple approach helps others then great.
Quote Reply
Re: The Big Kahuna--the final numbers! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing Dev!

My “approach”:

-working out/training/being active is a long standing lifestyle choice for me. Through the years, it’s taken several different forms. For example, there was a 3-4 year period where I was focused on climbing and helping my son climb the 7 summits. Since 2017, I have been refocused on Long course and specifically trying to see if the two of us can KQ and race there together

-my left knee is not good and will need to be replaced...probably in the next 2-4 years

-I spend a lot of time just “noodling”. Easy spin, long continuous swim, long easy walk/runs. I like to workout! I average about 3 hours a day but have many longer 4-7 hour days

-this year is all about getting ready for that last IM. As a result my actual trading will vary a lot. I’m focused on building my bike volume now (lots of Zwift and trainer time) and beginning to slowly ramp my running volume and intensity. I’m staying away from the pool now for health reasons.

-looks like we’ll go to the desert for 4+ weeks in late Jan/Feb and will be able to put a big block of swimming in. I hope to get to 100,000 yards by end March, be riding 1,000+ miles/month and maybe get to 100 miles/month running...

-over the summer, I go “bike monster” and will hit 1500 miles/month and try to do a “fast” century every 7 days or so.

-down the stretch, I focus on long stuff in all 3 with a bigger emphasis on running...

-I also try to add 2-3x/week of stretching/weights...

-I seldom take a day off, but do have real easy days instead...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also I could add that the training I do is almost totally random other than the 2 and 3 hrs daily target. Between work schedules and weather, I pick what sports work best that I feel like doing that have the path to highest enjoyment on that day and least logistical challenges. Wherever possible, I try to minimize logistics overhead because logistics overhead over time adds up to a lot of stress. Inside the workout I go hard as often as my body allows it, and go easy when it does not want to cooperate.

I remember Oct 2019 showing up for my first vacation in years and sharing a condo with Ultraman World champ (and multiple time 2nd and 3rd place guy) Rob Gray. Rob was on the 5-8 hrs per day program in a big build. I basically joined him for 4 hrs per day. It was "whatever training....more is better". I cut myself off daily at 4-5 hrs and logged a 30+ hrs training week. I knew what my body could sustain and repeat daily. I believe this is the trick on a regular day too. What can your body handle not just for training but all of life. 2 hrs training plus 7-10 hrs of work (office work) or 4-5 hrs of trainning and 3 hrs of office work was roughly the same "load" that was repeatable over and over and over.

Keep in mind during the past 5 years I only had 1 year of triathlon racing (2019). The rest was training for training. I had 3 years of masters swim racing in there before everything was shut
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was only out of top 10 cause I dont log my bike stuff to strava (until covid19 lock downs). I use a dumb magnet computer, which i log the miles on BT (the first log I ever used). o well
Quote Reply
Re: The Big Kahuna--the final numbers! [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't happen if not in the Big Kahuna scoreboard!
lol--just kidding

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
Any reason we can’t use a private “club” on Strava?

So I went to the Windows version of Strava and found the dialog to create a club. It looks pretty straightforward. It appears to me that the name "Big Kahuna" is still available as a triathlon group. I clicked on the help button for the invite only option and it reads that an admin must grant access. I really don't want to be the admin and I'm curious if we can get the person responsible for administrating the challenge on the ST website to create and administrate the group? I really think those of us that use Strava for the challenge will appreciate this feature.

Invite-Only Clubs
Athletes must request permission to join an invite-only Club.
Only admins can approve new Club members. Recent activity, club announcements, discussions, and private group events will be hidden from non-members
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am currently skiing with my family but have managed some running every day, but no access to my bike nor swimming until the end of the week.

Last year I averaged over 20 hours a week, and with so many races not happening I kept pushing the Big Kahuna. Thinking about not doing the Big Kahuna this year as I otherwise really will heavy load again every week. But want to do some big races and can't be constantly "loaded." One goal s to run sub 17:30 for the 5k, plus qualify for Western States and UTMB, but most importantly keep my family happy.
Quote Reply
Re: The Big Kahuna--the final numbers! [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my BT log

Swim: 82h 52m 55s - 268050 Yd = 2680 points

Bike: 645h 54m 34s - 10072.88 Mi = 10072 points

Run: 476h 42m 03s - 3532.66 Mi = 14130 points

So would have got 26882 points putting me in 2nd overall. Well this year using my garmin for everything since I have a new job (before used bike computer since I was mainly in and between skyscrapers losing gps signal) .

FWIW - I wont the USAT NCC challenge couple years back (similar to this, but just 3 months). There were actual prizes involved too. I am not saying this to toot my horn, rather , I have backed out focusing on these challenges. Too many injuries from overtraining simply. Probably the worse stuff than visible physical injury is hormonal damage (adrenal fatigue, etc)
Last edited by: synthetic: Jan 5, 21 18:00
Quote Reply
Re: The Big Kahuna--the final numbers! [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just register, but just do what you need to do, and whatever points are whatever points you would generate out of what your training is. Don't change your training for this challenge, just train for whatever goals you have. I use the challenge mainly as community support to see how others are breaking down their training. Most of the big point getters are bike focus, then swim focus. I think Herbert was the odd man out last year with so many points from running. My year ended up being balanced hours between swim:bike:run (it was literally 1:1:1 in hours so swim heavy points, then run heavy points and low bike points).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran 3,896 miles in 2020
Quote Reply