Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Big Kahuna: Crazy Start to the Year!
Quote | Reply
Looking over the Big Kahuna 10 challenge this morning and happy to see 140 signed up so far--already on a par with last year! Awesome!

What struck me is the amazing amount of training getting done--I'm in awe. One person is swimming 5+ miles/ day. That would crush me! He is on a pace for 42,000+ points--almost double what anyone else has ever done. Truly amazing. Another person is doing 2X IM distance swims at sub 50 min IM pace and another is doing 6 separate runs a day. Wow, I feel bad about skipping my 3-mile run on Monday because my legs were sore.

Overall, 14 of the 140 are on a 20,000+ point pace. This 10% level is about 5X what has been the average overt the last 4-5 years. It must be the promise of a T-shirt!

keep it up!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Last edited by: rcmioga: Jan 16, 20 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: The Big Kahuna: Crazy Start to the Year! [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who is doing 15 miles per day of swimming? That's 26k yards per day and would probably take ~8 hours unless you're hammering the whole way through. Unless I'm missing something I don't think anyone is actually swimming that far.... Eric is doing about 9000 yards/day (about 5 miles) which seems mind-numbing to me already.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: The Big Kahuna: Crazy Start to the Year! [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Erikmulk is on a big swim training block right now with a target around 9000yds per week and 6 miles running.
Quote Reply
Re: The Big Kahuna: Crazy Start to the Year! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I believe Erikmulk is on a big swim training block right now with a target around 9000yds per day and 6 miles running.

FIFY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Who is doing 15 miles per day of swimming? That's 26k yards per day and would probably take ~8 hours unless you're hammering the whole way through. Unless I'm missing something I don't think anyone is actually swimming that far.... Eric is doing about 9000 yards/day (about 5 miles) which seems mind-numbing to me already.
. Yes, I effed that up, I fixed it above. I’m still in awe of 5 miles a day. I can’t even run that much.

It is inspiring and when I get back in the pool I’m going to see if I can do that at least 1 or 2 times this summer!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:

But surely when you were a 4:00 400 LCM swimmer you were going at least 70,000 yd/wk, or more???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: The Big Kahuna: Crazy Start to the Year! [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric: how do you stay motivated to get into the pool 3X a day, day after day? Are you a former young swimmer? Just discipline?

I'm really impressed!

rc

Quote Reply
Re: The Big Kahuna: Crazy Start to the Year! [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

But surely when you were a 4:00 400 LCM swimmer you were going at least 70,000 yd/wk, or more???

For sure - but I also wasn't running 6 miles per day! And that much volume in one sport year after year eventually burned me out. More power to you - certainly impressive - keep it up!

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: The Big Kahuna: Crazy Start to the Year! [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
Eric: how do you stay motivated to get into the pool 3X a day, day after day? Are you a former young swimmer? Just discipline?
I'm really impressed! rc

Thanks Randy, I just really enjoy swimming and the feel of the water. I have built up to the 9000 yd/day (BTW, it's just one 3 hr workout, not 3 separate swims) gradually over the past 6 months. i did swim on a team from age 13 to 18 but then took 3 yrs off before re-starting with Masters swimming at age 21. Generally I tend to swim around 4000-5000 yd/day so I have doubled my average in last 6 months. As I mentioned in another post, I have been kinda sorta intrigued by the USMS Go The Distance event, which is basically a contest to see who can swim the most in the calendar year. The guy who has won the past 3 yrs has averaged 14,700 yd/day over the past 3 yrs. That's (147 ST points/day) (365 days) = 53,655 points/yr on the average for 3 straight years. So, really I'm way behind this guy. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply