Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The BAA is offering a virtual Boston, no BQ needed, and I'm not a fan
Quote | Reply
By all means call me elitist, but I think this cheapens the Boston-ness of it. Humph.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-marathon/2021/03/02/boston-marathon-2021-field-size

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: The BAA is offering a virtual Boston, no BQ needed, and I'm not a fan [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wont call you elitist, I think it's more irrelevant because it's a virtual event. Sure some noob will now run around in their boston gear and "cheapen" it for the elitist. But I think it's "meh" because it's a virtual event.

If they turned around and did this for the actual event....I'd be there with you.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: The BAA is offering a virtual Boston, no BQ needed, and I'm not a fan [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically all they have to sell is the "Boston-ness" of it. Since you run it at home, it could be virtual Boston, virtual London, virtual Wallawalla, etc.

I'm guessing this helps with the economics of holding the race, attracting/retaining sponsors, and selling merch.

I'm holding out for the virtual Tokyo Olympic Marathon....already saving up for the tattoo.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every race is a business, BAA generates the majority of its revenue from this race. The BAA also funds professional contracts for runners.

People will buy it because Boston has cult status. Print the money.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are sounding like people who used to post here about families of athletes or tourists going to Kona and buying the generic Ironman T-shirts and wearing them around. People thought they should be burned at the stake. No, it’s marketing and consumerism.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The BAA is offering a virtual Boston, no BQ needed, and I'm not a fan [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Every race is a business, BAA generates the majority of its revenue from this race. The BAA also funds professional contracts for runners.

People will buy it because Boston has cult status. Print the money.

The Cult of Boston - like The Jedi - needs to end

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The BAA is offering a virtual Boston, no BQ needed, and I'm not a fan [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You are sounding like people who used to post here about families of athletes or tourists going to Kona and buying the generic Ironman T-shirts and wearing them around. People thought they should be burned at the stake. No, it’s marketing and consumerism.

I don't think they should be burned at the stake, but I do think those are logos that should be earned. I don't like that it's marketing and consumerism.

I'm also not a fan of generic "lifeguard" sweatshirts - that is another thing that people earn and work hard for. *shrugs*

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

I don't think they should be burned at the stake, but I do think those are logos that should be earned. I don't like that it's marketing and consumerism.

I'm also not a fan of generic "lifeguard" sweatshirts - that is another thing that people earn and work hard for. *shrugs*

I did boston 2014. Saw you can buy that famed jacket --- without running the race. So I saved myself $180 or so
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
By all means call me elitist, but I think this cheapens the Boston-ness of it. Humph.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-marathon/2021/03/02/boston-marathon-2021-field-size

It's a fair point. If you don't have to travel to Boston or get a hotel room there, it definitely cheapens it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like it or not I think this is probably a reality for all of the big majors.

I think that they will all offer virtual options of their events to increase revenue and sell merchandise. Both NYC Marathon and Boston did that this year out of necessity. I heard they were both really well done. Why not add it as a revenue stream? And if something unexpected happens to the actual location - like when Hurricane Sandy hit NYC. Everybody can run the virtual event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

I saw a woman wearing a Tampa Bay Buccaneers jersey with the name Brady on the back. I'm pretty sure she wasn't Tom Brady........

Earn a logo???? Is this some kind of sports culture appropriation thing? Its a trademarked name that the owner can do anything they want with it. It's not something special you truly have to earn, an Olympic medal, or the Lombardy Trophy.

We are talking about a T-shirt or a jacket. Yes, that is elitisms at its best.
Quote Reply
Re: The BAA is offering a virtual Boston, no BQ needed, and I'm not a fan [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

I saw a woman wearing a Tampa Bay Buccaneers jersey with the name Brady on the back. I'm pretty sure she wasn't Tom Brady........

Earn a logo???? Is this some kind of sports culture appropriation thing? Its a trademarked name that the owner can do anything they want with it. It's not something special you truly have to earn, an Olympic medal, or the Lombardy Trophy.

We are talking about a T-shirt or a jacket. Yes, that is elitisms at its best.

You can even buy an Olympic medal or a Super Bowl ring sometimes.

Edit: and I forgot that you can buy a charity spot for Boston and Kona and have a legitimate right to buy a jacket.
Last edited by: AchillesHeal: Mar 4, 21 8:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

I assumed the qualification requirement for Boston marathon was there simply because demand was so high it couldn't be accommodated and some method of selecting who would be allowed enter was needed. Apparently I'm wrong and the qualification requirement is there to make those who can achieve it feel special.

In my opinion, feeling the need for event entry, clothing or anything else to be restricted just so you can feel more special about having it is incredibly pathetic. The whole idea that this "cheapens the Boston-ness of it" demonstrates incredible fragility of perspective. Are you defined by what other people can do?

When I see people here obsessing about whether they can BQ or KQ, I don't think "gosh they're ultra focused and committed and they've got what it takes". I think "Gosh, are they so weak they really need that badge of honour just to feel good enough?"
Last edited by: Ai_1: Mar 4, 21 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: The BAA is offering a virtual Boston, no BQ needed, and I'm not a fan [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found a chart; it may or may not apply here

Quote Reply
Re: The BAA is offering a virtual Boston, no BQ needed, and I'm not a fan [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, there is such a demand to "run Boston" that if it was completely open you'd have a field of 100k.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: The BAA is offering a virtual Boston, no BQ needed, and I'm not a fan [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Well, there is such a demand to "run Boston" that if it was completely open you'd have a field of 100k.

Is that in an annual basis? Why wouldn’t they make a weekend out of it? 40k Sunday women, 40k Monday men or vice versa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe that's what they need to do? Have one year where it IS completely open, let everyone who wants "run*" it do so and get it out of their system, check the box and never "run" another one ever again

* in quotes because you'll get 6-hour or longer finishers who really just walk half of it, but they'll get their medal

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Perhaps. And that's the point. Qualification for the Boston marathon presumably exists simply as a way to reduce the field since demand far exceeds supply. A virtual event has no venue based supply issue so limiting numbers simply to satisfy some idea of prestige or exclusivity would seem rather artifical and cynical to me.
The OP suggested removing barriers to entry devalued the event. To me that attitude is pathetic.
Quote Reply
Re: The BAA is offering a virtual Boston, no BQ needed, and I'm not a fan [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Ironic that you replied to me, not the OP with this!

The OP thinks people who are slow are less valuable to the sport. I think anyone who can run, and wants to run, may run. And I'm not going to judge their value by their speed, the events they've entered or the logos they wear.
Sure, I've somewhat judged the OP based on their opinion, but only because it was volunteered for comment and it endorses restricting the enjoyment of others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

I was just lazy, and clicked on the last post, sorry

Quote Reply
Re: The BAA is offering a virtual Boston, no BQ needed, and I'm not a fan [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:

I just bought my daughter a new dog show bag because she had been using an Ironman AZ bag a friend gave me when I needed a bag. I got sick of answering no to- Oh you did Ironman Arizona?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I assumed the qualification requirement for Boston marathon was there simply because demand was so high it couldn't be accommodated and some method of selecting who would be allowed enter was needed. Apparently I'm wrong and the qualification requirement is there to make those who can achieve it feel special.

You are wrong.

Because at least in recent years, people who exceeded the qualification standards have been refused entry to Boston because the event was already full. Demand by qualified athletes currently exceeds the supply (even before the supershoes) and the supply is further constrained because they do offer entries for other reasons (charity). It was true for many years that they had capacity beyond the demand from athletes meeting their standards, but that changed about 10 years and continued even when they made the time standards more restrictive.

Not clear what your point is, but I agree that being able to achieve any kind of "high standard" that many people are incapable of does impart some level of "specialness" and the higher the standard, the more special.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean, sure, let's take more of a shit on people who are trying to feel like they belong in a sport, and probably especially those of color who are full of passion and talent but can't afford the cost or energy of the weeklong, multi-thousand dollar trip to the 617 to run a race.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: The BAA is offering a virtual Boston, no BQ needed, and I'm not a fan [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
ironclm wrote:

I just bought my daughter a new dog show bag because she had been using an Ironman AZ bag a friend gave me when I needed a bag. I got sick of answering no to- Oh you did Ironman Arizona?

I'd play it like so:

"Oh! Did you do IMAZ?"
"Yeah"
"How did you do?"
"I don't want to talk about it"

And walk away

A lot of my cycling jerseys are finds from the thrift store

If someone were to ask "Why would you wear a jersey from a team you weren't on or a tour/ride you didn't do?"

I'd have to answer "Because they're only a dollar or two, they look great, and I don't give a shit?"

Same applies to race t-shirts, but I'd NEVER buy a Boston marathon one, as I'm almost organically predisposed to hating on all things Boston: it's ONE thing Philadelphians & New Yorkers can agree on

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
RandMart wrote:

The OP thinks people who are slow are less valuable to the sport. I think anyone who can run, and wants to run, may run. And I'm not going to judge their value by their speed, the events they've entered or the logos they wear.
Sure, I've somewhat judged the OP based on their opinion, but only because it was volunteered for comment and it endorses restricting the enjoyment of others.

So that means I can participate as an athlete in the olympics according to you?
Quote Reply

Prev Next