Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Art of creating a Non Selfie Selfie
Quote | Reply
Instead of a picture of yourself at arm's length or selfie stick length, here is another way you can do it.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...fie_Selfie_7694.html
Last edited by: Herbert: Jun 24, 20 5:33
Quote Reply
Re: The Art of creating a Non Selfie Selfie [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can barely be bothered to stick my arm in the air twice a year. I'm pretty unlikely to exert even more effort to actually set up a contrived shot. But, I'm no instragram model.

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also very easy to do with an iPhone. Shoot video, then in the photos app, you can pause the video and drag frame by frame, and then just do a screen grab of the frame you want to get stills (if you tap the screen first, the controls disappear, then you can screen grab). I have a little dinky tripod that was dirt cheap on amazon, and has legs that articulate, so that you can use it on uneven ground, or attach to a tree, or whatever, and fits nicely into my hydration pack for running or gear bag for swimming (I just put it a foot or two back on the pool deck to avoid splashes, even though the newer iPhones are waterproof). The yield is way better than the boring selfies you'd end up with otherwise, since you can get decent action shots (I usually just shoot 10-20sec of video on the run where there's a decent backdrop and light, and then just look at the photos when I get home and have never had an issue finding a few decent shots to use) without having to ask a random or bribe a family member to snap some shots of you on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always wondered for those taking a "non selfie" like these, are you stopping your run, setting up the camera, running away 20' so you can get in the shot, running back towards and past the camera to get the shot, then doubling back and picking everything up and continuing on your run? I'm sure it becomes more streamline the more you do it, just sounds like a lot of extra work. Nevermind on a bike ride when you'd have to clip in/out and turning around is more cumbersome than on foot. I love to see the cool photos, so please keep doing them and posting them everyone, I just never really thought of what went into it all before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless someone else takes my picture, it doesn't get taken.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Art of creating a Non Selfie Selfie [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one where I am in all black with the Salomon vest on was taken after the run. I ran without a camera and before I changed after returning from that 15 mile run I grabbed the camera from the car as I cooled down and set it up and ran past it before I changed.

But during the activity it is pretty quickly done really. The lead image was on Stone Mountain and I was going to stop there anyway to check the view and take a selfie. But instead I put the camera down and ran past it.
Quote Reply
Re: The Art of creating a Non Selfie Selfie [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Unless someone else takes my picture, it doesn't get taken.

Preach, brother.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great article - Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spoiler alert:

They still look like selfies. Modern-day selfies, like you hope to see on @influencersinthewild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love it. Don't have a Gopro yet but will def do this when I get one (likely soon.) Life is short - in my mid40s, I'm realizing that I'll blink and my best days of training and racing will be over. All the more reason to capture it while I can before health and age takes its toll. No need for Instagram - but will love to have pics of something I love doing that my kid can also remember me by when I'm gone.
Quote Reply
Re: The Art of creating a Non Selfie Selfie [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you - but I said it is a selfie just not the typical selfie. And it adds variety plus entertainment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jond81 wrote:
I've always wondered for those taking a "non selfie" like these, are you stopping your run, setting up the camera, running away 20' so you can get in the shot, running back towards and past the camera to get the shot, then doubling back and picking everything up and continuing on your run? I'm sure it becomes more streamline the more you do it, just sounds like a lot of extra work.
Extra work is fine if you like taking photos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this a belated attempt to compete with Triathlete?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Images of me running are enhanced considerably by my absence

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The Art of creating a Non Selfie Selfie [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty groundbreaking information here.... I've been doing this with my android phone since at least 2018.....
Quote Reply
Re: The Art of creating a Non Selfie Selfie [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually several folks have asked me on FB about these pics and that gave me idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually use a switchback while trail running. Reach up as far as you can and place the gopro, then run around the switchback and scoop it up. Hope there is something usable.
Quote Reply
Re: The Art of creating a Non Selfie Selfie [mountain_erin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you are getting it done with the phone. But did you read the story? I specifically listed the reason why I do not carry a phone. If you carry yours - great for you.

But also the gopro is not only tiny and fully waterproof but it can actually sit on a tree stump or wall without having to be propped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one who looks at these types of photos and just imagine how the person set the scene, put their camera on a timer, and run past?

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lots of boomers announcing their presence in this thread lol
Quote Reply
Re: The Art of creating a Non Selfie Selfie [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True but as I explained that takes a lot more time as it is hard to time it right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see the value of this when you go somewhere cool and you would like to convey the "feeling of the moment" as you run up or down a trail or road with incredible scenery in the background. I saw your photos on facebook and it kind of captures that moment better than a static selfie followed by a scenery pic of "where you were". The action shot completely changes the way the story is conveyed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well I think you look super cool Herbert ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: The Art of creating a Non Selfie Selfie [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice
Quote Reply

Prev Next