Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then I do not understand the point of the watch. Seems an unnecessary variable.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, he actually changed his fit (raised the front I think) so it would match the other bikes.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
Then I do not understand the point of the watch. Seems an unnecessary variable.

Does it really matter, as long as he used the watch on all the bikes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
Did Pubes just get Slowtwitch to pay for him to find his fastest optimized set up?

It's ok to be jealous.

He got slowtwitch to pay for him to find the fastest bike with his current fit coordinates and race setup.

Does that make more sense?

And even then he had to raise all the bikes stack just to even the playing field for the p5.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many non-draft triathletes do you know that don't wear watches racing? Just sayin.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Kiley is on the P5-X right now

Did you guys get the right size? I thought I remembered reading that some modifications were needed.

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [dpancotto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I thought I remembered reading that some modifications were needed.

We had to cut some bits & pieces to make the bike work. Needed additional funding to ensure this bike would be able to still be sold.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
MTBSully wrote:
The amazing thing is that a 12x142 rear thru axle may have a different thread from frame to frame, and on forks it is a total shit show on what TA works with what fork. I love how loosely the bike industry uses the term "standard"

Not to mention that TA on a rear is just silly. The ONLY reason a TA rear needs to be 142mm wide is to gain back the locating feature eliminated by getting rid of the axle dropout. It's not any "stiffer" either. Madness.

And TAs on the front don't really solve any problem that large axle cap faces and a forwarding facing dropout wouldn't solve with a regular QR.

"Shit show" is a good phrase for all of it...change just for the sake of change.

My understanding is that TAs make placement of the rotor within the caliper more consistent so your disc brakes aren't as finicky :-). A must have for your new disc TT bike (tongue heavily planted in cheek)!
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
MTBSully wrote:
The amazing thing is that a 12x142 rear thru axle may have a different thread from frame to frame, and on forks it is a total shit show on what TA works with what fork. I love how loosely the bike industry uses the term "standard"

Not to mention that TA on a rear is just silly. The ONLY reason a TA rear needs to be 142mm wide is to gain back the locating feature eliminated by getting rid of the axle dropout. It's not any "stiffer" either. Madness.

And TAs on the front don't really solve any problem that large axle cap faces and a forwarding facing dropout wouldn't solve with a regular QR.

"Shit show" is a good phrase for all of it...change just for the sake of change.

My understanding is that TAs make placement of the rotor within the caliper more consistent so your disc brakes aren't as finicky :-). A must have for your new disc TT bike (tongue heavily planted in cheek)!

I understand the tongue-in-cheek...but, I just have to say that I've got a couple of QR equipped disc bikes and have NEVER had a problem with rotor placement in the caliper. Especially not on the rears, nor on the one with forward facing fork dropouts.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who won? We don't know who won. We won't know who won for some time, or by how much, or what it means -- we did a huge amount of runs and the interpretation task is daunting.

This has been an enormous undertaking and I am derelict in my professional, personal, and athletic duties from all the time and mind share and stress I have devoted to this effort especially in the last 10 days. Simply exhausted.

It's going to take time to get this together guys. I'm sorry. We are going to do this right and likely hand off the data anonymized to some quants with these kinds of chops. If they agree. If they don't, I will get us there with help from Brian and Heath and other advisers. It just won't be in R.

Let me thank a few people as well, many of whom also put sweat and tears into this and some of whom will continue to as we develop the report. Thanks to:

-All if you who donated and shared and followed and commented.
-Brian Stover/desert dude and Heath Dotson/ex-cyclist for putting together and outstanding AeroCamp Aero Shootout and taking charge of the protocol. You all should want to work with these guys -- trust me.
-The guys from A2 for dealing with head aches that this stupidly ambitious project required. Very pro operators.
-Dan Kennison/dkennison from Tactical and Jimmy Seear from Ventum for both providing equipment, attending, wrenching and so much more. DK in particular for taking down many measurements and for facing down the nightmare of last minute assembly with me and BryanD. And don't worry several people verified those key measurements.
-BryanD, Cid, and Mark from Inside Out Sports North Carolina for P5-X
-Dave Luscan from All3Sports Atlanta for P5
-Diamondback for getting me the damn bike in time, and for advising on protocol.
-So many others whom I will credit in the report.

It is early yet but I am happy with the integrity of the results. I think the controls showed strong consistency in the position. I think we did it right. I think we had the right hands on deck and the proper protocol and all that.

Thanks again everyone. I'll try to answer questions here in the coming hours and days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot to say. These are all great bikes. They are all fast bikes. They are all engineering marvels. Grateful to have seen them all and wrenched them and ridden them.

I have bones to pick with all of them too. And don't worry, I will. With respect mostly.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the watt difference comes in as low as some people are predicting... Does that mean that i will be able to go back to buying my bike frame based on weight, looks, and cost rather than perceived aeroness?
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
How many non-draft triathletes do you know that don't wear watches racing? Just sayin.

I no longer wear a watch for long course triathlon. Just causes drag on swim and bike. No issue putting it on as you run out of transition.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Just causes drag on swim and bike.

I agree with you there.

My Garmin might take 60-90" to find the satellite though. And that means no data for the first stage of the run and and three extra steps during the footrace (1. put on the watch 2. start seeking the satellite 3. hitting start when it finds the satellite). I suppose one can lock in the satellite pre-race and refind it during the run which would speed up the seek time. But still requires the three steps.

I've seen a few pros grab their watches in T2 but see far more wearing them the entire race.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Timtek wrote:

I no longer wear a watch for long course triathlon. Just causes drag on swim and bike. No issue putting it on as you run out of transition.

Tangential, but that seems like a really strange decision. We've just all postulated that the difference between a 15000 P5x and an 8 year old B2 is maybe <15w and you think your WATCH is worth chucking because it causes...too much drag?

Weird.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Either that, or the really good frames are just that good. But look at what I wrote about the gennix. That kind of thing adds another dimension to the decision.

That said, my view since 1989 has not changed: how comfortable, powerful, and aero YOU are on the frame trumps how aero the bike alone is.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just start it right away whether it has satellite or not. That way you have the correct time split. My watch usually grabs it right away though. But still, you will be running on feel anyway and just verifying pace with the watch. No biggie if you don't have accurate pace for the first couple minutes in worse case scenario.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Timtek wrote:

Tangential, but that seems like a really strange decision. We've just all postulated that the difference between a 15000 P5x and an 8 year old B2 is maybe <15w and you think your WATCH is worth chucking because it causes...too much drag?

Weird.

How is the watch making me faster on the swim or the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures and some details on the home page

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...bike_test__6309.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just start my watch before the race start, although I never do any races that would get anywhere close to using up all of the battery.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
Judging by the videos on FB, it seems like the Andean cadence was much lower than the others. He could have been spinning up to power before the test. Was cadence (and power for that matter) standardized across the runs?

It's very possible that video was taken when I was simply warming up for the run. Or at the very beginning of the test, like you say.

Cadence and power weren't standardized across the board -- at least, not really. I never saw any numbers on that either. I was told to ride in the manner that allowed me to be most still, which I did. Sometimes that was easier and sometimes that was a little harder, much like you would on any ride. I think it was relatively consistent and at the right intensity.

The hardest part was keeping the head very still, and the second hardest part was not moving around on the saddle at all. Sometimes you want to readjust for a second, you know? Not okay here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cleva' gherl
It's my best jurassic park typing impersonation.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
P5x appears to be moving around more during the test than others. Could this be because of the thru axle issue?

Not an issue of the thru axle. We have video from behind that shoes the thru axle completely still. The frame itself is flexing while affixed. You can see it flex relative to the rear wheel. It's not a huge deal -- I did notice I was moving more, but it wasn't anything crazy; in fact, I actually thought I was just really anxious from losing all the time fashioning the new pieces for the thru axle.

In retrospect, I think I would notice it in a controlled environment, like on a trainer, and frankly I can't say that I would feel all that comfortable riding that bike on a rear-axle fixed trainer, and not because of product integrity reasons but just because I wouldn't want to be moving side to side that much while making watts.

RowToTri wrote:
Also I agree about lower cadence on Andean. What's target cadence? Do you have a head unit to monitor?

Target cadence is comfortable cadence. For me it's usually around 95-100rpm at that level of intensity. No head unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
P5x appears to be moving around more during the test than others. Could this be because of the thru axle issue?

Not an issue of the thru axle. We have video from behind that shoes the thru axle completely still. The frame itself is flexing while affixed. You can see it flex relative to the rear wheel. It's not a huge deal -- I did notice I was moving more, but it wasn't anything crazy; in fact, I actually thought I was just really anxious from losing all the time fashioning the new pieces for the thru axle.

In retrospect, I think I would notice it in a controlled environment, like on a trainer, and frankly I can't say that I would feel all that comfortable riding that bike on a rear-axle fixed trainer, and not because of product integrity reasons but just because I wouldn't want to be moving side to side that much while making watts.

RowToTri wrote:
Also I agree about lower cadence on Andean. What's target cadence? Do you have a head unit to monitor?

Target cadence is comfortable cadence. For me it's usually around 95-100rpm at that level of intensity. No head unit.

Was there any Pubes style banter in the windtunnel, or did they only get Kiley show up there?
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pubes tried to show up but we told him he had to leave

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next