kjmcawesome wrote:
We are 30 days removed from test day.

Which bike is the fastest?
Oh are they supposed to be telling us?

/pink
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about this today and whether or not my donation was stupid. I am beginning to think it is. 1 month, no update. I would guess the next gofundme campaign won't be met with as much enthusiasm as this one was.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Earlier communication indicated results would come within 6 weeks of the wind tunnel visit. It is still early.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the time frame since the test I've moved and have been sick 2x.
We've also not gotten all the analysis back from the people we sent the data to.

It's coming out

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone should chill, it's 180.6 days away.

More seriously, credit to you all for making this happen.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A question for the testers:

Now that you, one month later. still haven't been able to give a clear result, do you think that a) the differences are insignificant, b) wind tunnels are too variable or c) the test was flawed?
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
Now that you, one month later. still haven't been able to give a clear result, do you think that a) the differences are insignificant, b) wind tunnels are too variable or c) the test was flawed?

The 'delay' has nothing to do with any of that. And this isn't a delay at all -- I was very clear that this would take 6 to 8 weeks, which I said on multiple occasions.

There is a result. There were results immediately. But getting this thing together takes a lot of work and I would ask everyone to please be patient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most likely there will not be a clear "winner". My guess is one bike does slightly better at 0 yaw, another at 5. Probably all are pretty close.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We really haven't talked about the results with anyone. At least to my knowledge. I've had lots of conversations with people in the industry about how everything went down but even then I've not said here is the rank order.

There are tunnels out there that are more variable than A2 and more variable than they should be.. In the past major brands used A2 to develop their products. Some of those companies built their own or have gained access to tunnels closer to them that were off limits previously. Many companies still use A2.

There are still major brands using A2. I tried to book 6h in a month or so and was told sorry someone booked the tunnel for 3 full days.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm beginning to think you didnt even go to the tunnel - bunch of fake news. Those images/videos look photoshopped on closer inspection. Can't believe I was taken for $25.

More seriously. Damned if you rush the data. Damned if you take the time to compile appropriately. Just, damn you.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I was thinking about this today and whether or not my donation was stupid. I am beginning to think it is. 1 month, no update. I would guess the next gofundme campaign won't be met with as much enthusiasm as this one was.

Kileyay et al were pretty transparent about how long a report would take. You can't rush a good report!

But honestly, serious props for taking on such an ambitious project with everyone staring over your shoulders.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know we are only at just over 6 weeks (I think)..
Any update?
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
I know we are only at just over 6 weeks (I think)..
Any update?

It's coming right along. We have some of the analysis elements done. I spent all weekend working on written sections of the report. Brian is doing stuff on the protocol. Just need to bring it all together in the coming days

But yeah, I feel comfortable that we will be ready to release this in a couple weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
I assume the YAW data is entered, not measured. Would be nice to know more about how the YAW of the wind vs the body is dealt with. As I see it, there are eight (8!) sources of errors here: wind flow vs tunnel geometry vs load cell vs platform rotation vs rotation measurement vs wheel struts vs wheel hubs vs fork/frame vs rider position. Yikes!

So much error! Error everywhere! Will somebody please consider the children!?

Just kidding. I do appreciate your thoughts even as I can't claim to understand most of what you're saying. However, I'm closing in on a solid draft for this paper and I've completed the sources of error section insofar as I feel I have adequately quantified the variability associated with rider-on testing. The rest of it, I'm not able to well articulate. I'll offer the option again for you to submit a long-form explanation of the above quote. I'd be happy to put you in touch with the tunnel operators to discuss how the data is derived.

Also, I scaled the data to 24mph to play with and forgot that I had prior to sending you that screen shot. Plan is to display results in grams of drag at 30mph. Tom A. will receive a separate report with all data in CdX.

And re grown engineers swapping between metric and statute, you should see the time model...absolutely intolerable. And hard-coded inputs all over the book. If this were Goldman, these guys would be taken out to Battery Park and shot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next