Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I don't know anyone who reaches back to get gels out of their suit while on a bike.

Uhhh, what? You've jumped back on the crazy train.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so thankful for your opinion

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
It's really funny to read the comments on the P5-X and realize that no one really stopped to understand the protocol. They just use their keyboard to be Internet Keyboard Warrior and talk about things they barely understand.

Not sure if that was aimed at me in particular, but I don't think it is a very fair comment. We don't have the protocol described anywhere so that we can stop and understand it. I watched the video and it was pretty vague, and we don't have a white paper. Just a statement that it is faster than all of the main competitors in "Ironman configuration". This is what people mean when they talk about transparency. You managed to find out more than we have been told by asking them, and actually now I know the protocol for storage (flat kit, 3 bottles, 8 gels) I can make up my own mind how I should feel about the results, and whether they are very relevant to me. And as it happens they aren't very relevant to me, so thank you for helping me to understand that.

What I find weird and a bit inconsistent is that the protocol seems to have been designed around the average age grouper, which is your claim. Here is what Lisa Bentley says in the video linking into the tunnel testing.

"the Cervelo has an amazing aerodynamic advantage for the professional athlete, and they need every advantage they can get because this race can come down to seconds, and that podium can be determined by half a percent over the course of the day".

.. cut to test showing competitor's bikes set up in a fashion that I would never expect to see under a pro.

Anyway it is totally your prerogative to disagree, but I was happy to chip in a few quid for what I expect to be a more balanced and fair test.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
BryanD wrote:
I don't know anyone who reaches back to get gels out of their suit while on a bike.

Uhhh, what? You've jumped back on the crazy train.

its just bryan thinks like a MOP for whom the p5x are made ....

it think the thread should be divided into 2 one for people that want to make sub optimal decisons ( and then its totally fine to put 4 gels on a speed concept frame ) and one thread for people that look for simple solutions (where those 4 gels go into the tri suit in places where the have close to 0 impact and are easy to reach)
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahahahhahahahhah I wouldn't consider myself a MOP athlete.

Edit: after taking 3 months off and gaining weight, I'm now a MOP athlete.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 21, 17 5:37
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No that comment was not aimed at you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
stevej wrote:

it took them 5 months to show us that and it has only created more questions. Yeah it was nice to have but it still doesn't paint the whole picture. Again... they haven't been transparent to customers. Do people know what transparent means? Sure they don't have to be and that's their choice. But if you want people to buy a p5x, those people who can afford one and who want a top of the line bike, are going to want a bit more data before buying one. How are sales on the p5x right now? I can't imagine they are earth shattering.

You even said it yourself in that thread linked, that you were waiting for the white paper. Still waiting.....

Have you read the trek white paper? It's not perfect, but it's by far the best one we have seen.

You wonder why there is so much hate for this bike... well for starters it's because of marketing bs that hasn't been proven or backed up with valid data. But also because you and slowman keep trying to shove this bike and lack of data down our throats. And slowman probably has data that we haven't seen. And yet he keeps saying that cervelo has released more data than any other mfg...... yet we the customer can't get see it. You want to argue and say just trust cervelo and that's fine. But don't be surprised when there are a bunch of people that don't trust any mfg's and want to see data to make their own judgements. If you would just stop fighting it and stop trying to convince people, there probably wouldn't be so much hate for it.

I'm waiting for the white paper just like everyone else. I'm 99% sure it won't change my opinion of the P5-X. Yes, I have read the Trek white paper. The P5 white paper was good too. Cervelo doesn't have valid data? Really? You do know every protocol for testing is different and you can make any bike look bad or worse depending on the protocol. Cervelo chose to do a protocol based on the average age grouper. Kiley chose a protocol based off of what he does.

I'm sorry you don't view Cervelo's data as valid but that is YOUR opinion. I'm perfectly fine with their test. I won't stop defending Cervelo just because you don't like the bike.

How can we say the data is valid on the p5x if we can't even see the data to make that determination? Like I said if my first post...... there is no transparency to the customer and that's the issue first and foremost.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
BryanD wrote:
I'm perfectly fine with their test.

Bryan I don't want to give you too much of a hard time because a lot of what you say makes sense, and you contributed massively to this test and the following discussion.

But are you really fine with THIS? Gels taped up into the air on a bike that has both an integrated bento AND an integrated draft box, and then 3x 750ml bottles. In the absence of a white paper to justify the protocol it just looks like handicapping. I think this is the kind of thing that has some of the more critical thinkers on here rubbed up the wrong way.

I was only there to bring the P5-X and take photos and video of the testing. I helped Kiley install tires and tubes and that was about it.

Yes, I am fine with it and I will tell you why.

I asked Cervelo why they had those gels taped like that. Their answer was the bikes needed to carry a flat kit of 1 tube, 2 co2, 2 tire levers, and an inflator. 3 bottles were to be carried on each bike and 8 gels.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can fit 8 GUs in any of those bentos without the sides bulging out. The P5-X bento is MASSIVE. You take out the tab in the bottom and it goes down into the frame. That is why there is no gels taped on the P5-X. I can almost fit my Iphone 7 Plus into that bento. Cervelo put 4 gels in each bento and taped 4 more on the bikes. On Slowtwitch, everyone is pissed about that. In the real world, this is what you see. If you don't, then you haven't spent enough time around age groupers or walked around in transition.

This was Cervelo's protocol that every bike had to carry the same amount of stuff. So they figured out how to do it and that was taping 4 GUs onto the stems. You can call it handicapping if you want but you are ignoring the reality that these bikes were setup for an Ironman distance race for the average age grouper.

Everyone is ignoring that the P5-X is 3W faster with this setup because apparently aerodynamics is the most important. No, it's not. Not anymore. The bikes are so close to each other that storage and integration is the new Aero.

Take time to reflect on why they set these bikes up, examine the average age grouper, and realize this was all set up for Ironman distance racing and you will see why Cervelo did what they did.

Where are you going to put 8 gels on these bikes?

I can fit 8 gels into a speed concept speed box no problem, no bulging. Same goes for DSW 483D.

And who the hell carries 8 freaking gels on the bike??? Yes I know there are people that do (tyler butterfield comes to mind) but there really is no need to carry that much.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
BryanD wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
BryanD wrote:
I'm perfectly fine with their test.

Bryan I don't want to give you too much of a hard time because a lot of what you say makes sense, and you contributed massively to this test and the following discussion.

But are you really fine with THIS? Gels taped up into the air on a bike that has both an integrated bento AND an integrated draft box, and then 3x 750ml bottles. In the absence of a white paper to justify the protocol it just looks like handicapping. I think this is the kind of thing that has some of the more critical thinkers on here rubbed up the wrong way.

I was only there to bring the P5-X and take photos and video of the testing. I helped Kiley install tires and tubes and that was about it.

Yes, I am fine with it and I will tell you why.

I asked Cervelo why they had those gels taped like that. Their answer was the bikes needed to carry a flat kit of 1 tube, 2 co2, 2 tire levers, and an inflator. 3 bottles were to be carried on each bike and 8 gels.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can fit 8 GUs in any of those bentos without the sides bulging out. The P5-X bento is MASSIVE. You take out the tab in the bottom and it goes down into the frame. That is why there is no gels taped on the P5-X. I can almost fit my Iphone 7 Plus into that bento. Cervelo put 4 gels in each bento and taped 4 more on the bikes. On Slowtwitch, everyone is pissed about that. In the real world, this is what you see. If you don't, then you haven't spent enough time around age groupers or walked around in transition.

This was Cervelo's protocol that every bike had to carry the same amount of stuff. So they figured out how to do it and that was taping 4 GUs onto the stems. You can call it handicapping if you want but you are ignoring the reality that these bikes were setup for an Ironman distance race for the average age grouper.

Everyone is ignoring that the P5-X is 3W faster with this setup because apparently aerodynamics is the most important. No, it's not. Not anymore. The bikes are so close to each other that storage and integration is the new Aero.

Take time to reflect on why they set these bikes up, examine the average age grouper, and realize this was all set up for Ironman distance racing and you will see why Cervelo did what they did.

Where are you going to put 8 gels on these bikes?

I can fit 8 gels into a speed concept speed box no problem, no bulging. Same goes for DSW 483D.

And who the hell carries 8 freaking gels on the bike??? Yes I know there are people that do (tyler butterfield comes to mind) but there really is no need to carry that much.

Actually, I find it silly to even suggest carrying gels packaged like that. A couple of gel flasks are a lot less costly than a P5x, to say nothing of the mess and danger of tearing them open on the fly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Speaking of, Tyler Butterfield is one of the reasons people think this bike is so fugly: https://instagram.com/p/BTHWB6IBaPs/

I mean -- is that even the same bike I rode on Tuesday? Gross.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know why anyone would carry 8 gels (or any on their bike) but Cervelos unscientific experiment suggested that the average AGer does. We have no way to prove or disprove that but it would hardly be shocking to see an average AGer making a poor setup decision from an aero perspective
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
stevej wrote:

Actually, I find it silly to even suggest carrying gels packaged like that. A couple of gel flasks are a lot less costly than a P5x, to say nothing of the mess and danger of tearing them open on the fly.

you're asking these questions rhetorically. cervelo answered them actually. every bike company makes a wager when it makes a bike. you wager on the what the customer is going to consider important. sometimes you win and sometimes you lose that wager.

cervelo made a wager with the P4: if you treat hydration the way we tell you to treat hydration, this is the fastest bike you can buy. people didn't respond to that.

cervelo made a different wager with the P5X: we traveled to a lot of races and documented how you treat hydration, how you treat nutrition. then we built a bike that accommodates your existing behavior instead of trying to get you to change your behavior.

in the test just performed we'll see how the P5X does against the best-in-class bikes without forcing those bikes to conform to what it is people actually do when those bikes don't have the P5X's on-board storage. but for its testing, which was considerable, cervelo set up bikes in the way most people ride most of the time. and then tested it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
We have no way to prove or disprove that but it would hardly be shocking to see an average AGer making a poor setup decision from an aero perspective

I think it'd be easy? Set up a camera at T1 exit. Then go back and count visible gels / bottles (and maybe some indication of location). Not a perfect method, but I think it'd give the data to arrive at a reasonable conclusion. E.g. you could do a gel histogram (how many bikes had 1,2,3,4,5 gels) and a bottle histogram.

I have no particular problem with Cervelo doing their "Age grouper picnic load" test. But I feel they should have provided a "naked" baseline test as well. Like Ventum did in their whitepaper with the "Naked" P5.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 21, 17 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
We have no way to prove or disprove that but it would hardly be shocking to see an average AGer making a poor setup decision from an aero perspective

I think it'd be easy? Set up a camera at T1 exit. Then go back and count visible gels / bottles (and maybe some indication of location). Not a perfect method, but I think it'd give the data to arrive at a reasonable conclusion. E.g. you could do a gel histogram (how many bikes had 1,2,3,4,5 gels) and a bottle histogram.

I have no particular problem with Cervelo doing their "Age grouper picnic load" test. But I feel they should have provided a "naked" baseline test as well. Like Ventum did in their whitepaper with the "Naked" P5.

Cervelo has 14,000 pictures. There is your proof.

Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

Because I chose the size at the bottom of the stack envelope, you don't have that sort of unstable looked single pillar spacer with all that space, which I think makes the bike look kind of strange. It also looks pretty bad loaded up with all those round bottles.

you say this like it's optional when you know full well that for us a slammed "stem" is a screening criteria (and thus mandatory) and not an evaluation criteria.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, but then don't come crying when the people who make smart, reasoned decision about their kit aren't convinced it's a fast bike for their purposes. Without the "naked Kiley", optimised-rather-than-average setup test, the detail-oriented Age Grouper is less convinced. Which is why the ST crowd was critical of Cervelo's testing: It is aimed at convincing a very different demographic. A fully-faired recumbent would be a great place to store a stack of pizzas, but since I don't plan to carry those...

The SC Gen II bento, the one pictured, can hold 8 Gu gels comfortably. I've seen friends squeeze in the larger High5 gels too, or at least 5 of these enormous IsoGel things. The rear storage can even hold two tubes, three CO2s, a full-featured tool, and levers. There's no reason to have anything sticking out on a Speed Concept in IM trim, and the third bottle, if you insist on it, can go as a pair behind the saddle. On a bike as narrow-tubed as the SC, it's stupid to put anything on the downtube.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiley's setup was too minimalist for me. Also, I don't cry over bikes.

Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 21, 17 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I don't know why anyone would carry 8 gels (or any on their bike) but Cervelos unscientific experiment suggested that the average AGer does. We have no way to prove or disprove that but it would hardly be shocking to see an average AGer making a poor setup decision from an aero perspective

There is actually a way to prove or disprove, and I've attempted it to counter Cervelo -- and, it turns out, Cervelo is pretty much right and I am pretty much wrong. Goes like this

1) Go into the results for last year's Kona.
2) Pull the bib numbers of the Umeke winners. Try for an obsessive compulsive age bracket like M30-34 or M40-44. It doesn't matter really.
3) Go to Finisherpix. Type in Bib Number. Scroll to side profile shot in the lava fields.
4) Review hydration and nutrition and storage setups.

The reality is this. Even the best age groupers in the world are carrying bottles on the down tube in a hot 140.6. Even the best age groupers in the world commit aero sins. In general, their setups are far cleaner than the MOP'r at your average MDot race. They don't have gels strapped on the top tube. But they aren't necessarily all out aero, as I was in the tunnel.

Do I agree with how Cervelo designed the bike? No, not really, not for me. But I understand why they did now that I've done some of my own research.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

cervelo made a different wager with the P5X: we traveled to a lot of races and documented how you treat hydration, how you treat nutrition. then we built a bike that accommodates your existing behavior instead of trying to get you to change your behavior.

in the test just performed we'll see how the P5X does against the best-in-class bikes without forcing those bikes to conform to what it is people actually do when those bikes don't have the P5X's on-board storage. but for its testing, which was considerable, cervelo set up bikes in the way most people ride most of the time. and then tested it.

Slowman,

I have only read some of the posts on the P5X, so pardon my ignorance. I view the P5X as a tri superbike that can do everything and anything long distance tri-related at a price point that only the really deep pocketed or FOP athlete looking to squeeze out some extra speed, that also likes to carry much of their hydration/nutrition of choice, without aero penalty, aboard from the transition area to bike finish.

Your statement, "cervelo set up bikes in the way most people ride most of the time. and then tested it" would seem to be talking about the every person's long distance triathlon bike, the MOP Long Course athlete, and would probably be more interested in the P2 price point range. Does Cervelo plan to come out with a P2X with a price point marginally higher than a P2 and the P5X is more the initial concept, lust bike, that the design can be done? Maybe I'm not understanding or correctly interpreting your statement about Cervelo?

I don't race IMs, so maybe the typical IM FOP / KQ athlete has their bike fully loaded in the transition area with bottles and gels, if that's the case, than I fully understand the P5X design and thought process.

Thanks for any clarification to my ignorance.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Apr 21, 17 7:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"it's like a jab in the eye to all the so called research these companies feed us and expect everyone to blindly believe."

second time i've read this today. what if it turns out that this test confirms the "research these companies feed us"?

what is it you're asking for? i've seen cervelo bashed today for not giving us enough research on its P5X. now it's a company that is "feeding us research"?

you guys want to tell me what your expectations are here? because i'm getting whiplash.

The problem is that no one ever believes the scientists/engineers because it is always filtered through the marketing people. I have yet to find a way around it that does not end with a distasteful change to the marketing department.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Kiley's setup was too minimalist for me.

Your setup is atrocious.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Does Cervelo plan to come out with a P2X with a price point marginally higher than a P2 and the P5X is more the initial concept, lust bike, that the design can be done?"

i'll answer this in two ways. first, buying power and bike power do not track. i would argue that the MOPers are the ones with the buying power, so cervelo has accurately gauged its audience (i.e., it learned from the P4 experience).

second: felt already sells an IA that is $2,000 more than the P5X. when you set up a P5X the way other top-end frames are set up the price is pretty similar. would you rather have an $11,000 ultegra di2 bike with profile design wheels? buy a dimond. with HED wheels? buy a P5X.

cervelo chose to make this bike in the U.S. (the frame is made by HED, the fork, aerobars and wheels by ENVE). i suspect that production will eventually be expanded (they already can't make as much as they're selling). brand new projects like this are typically sold this way. if there is not a $6,000 version of this bike for sale in 2 years i'll be surprised. if you want a $3,000 bike, i don't blame you. P2.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Does Cervelo plan to come out with a P2X with a price point marginally higher than a P2 and the P5X is more the initial concept, lust bike, that the design can be done?"

i'll answer this in two ways. first, buying power and bike power do not track. i would argue that the MOPers are the ones with the buying power, so cervelo has accurately gauged its audience (i.e., it learned from the P4 experience).

second: felt already sells an IA that is $2,000 more than the P5X. when you set up a P5X the way other top-end frames are set up the price is pretty similar. would you rather have an $11,000 ultegra di2 bike with profile design wheels? buy a dimond. with HED wheels? buy a P5X.

cervelo chose to make this bike in the U.S. (the frame is made by HED, the fork, aerobars and wheels by ENVE). i suspect that production will eventually be expanded (they already can't make as much as they're selling). brand new projects like this are typically sold this way. if there is not a $6,000 version of this bike for sale in 2 years i'll be surprised. if you want a $3,000 bike, i don't blame you. P2.

Your answer makes sense, but leads to a follow up question. Are there a lot of MOPers buying these high end bikes (say price points 10k to 15k)? I made the assumption that people generally buy speed, if they have maxed out other areas first (training/weight/coaching/fit/etc.), of course knowing there are the deep pocket outliers that train a little, eat a lot, and have a really nice bike. Maybe my buying speed assumption is way off the mark.

If so, then I can understand exactly what Cervelo is doing, as that would be their main market for the bike (those with the $) and if they are not able to make enough due to high demand, than that is great to hear.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Apr 21, 17 8:17
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
trail wrote:
Flo and the Coggan-led TriRig brake testing are the gold standard for industry transparency in testing, in my opinion. It rapidly goes downhill from there.

Thanks, but just to be clear: I'm just a hobbyist, and have no real connection to the cycling industry.*

*Obviously my ideas are incorporated into WKO4 as well as lots of other analytical software/websites...but at least according to the Interbike folks, the cycling industry consists of those who produce things that are sold in bicycle shops.

Do you mean as opposed to those who CAUSE things to be sold in bicycle shops? ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Says the guy who tried to store a flat kit in his chest in a wind tunnel.....Let me know how that giant bulge in your suit works out when trying to get clean data

Quote Reply

Prev Next