Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, if the results are half as exciting as this thread it'll be awesome!

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Dan.. what I hope is a fair question. Are you going to apply that policy universally?"

no. i don't have to ask trek or cervelo to do the test correctly, and unbiased. since rchung has chimed in (with a comment the meaning of which i can't decipher), i would not question him or ask him to establish his bona fides if he proposed to publish on a test of his, because he hasn't made outrageous comments about some of the products he purports to test, and because he has in the past established his bona fides.

we're in unprecedented territory here. we're in the era of trump. i don't know what era we're in. but after having been at this business a good long while my instinct tells me to look hard over the shoulder of this before i let it be published in a place i control and am responsible for.

and, look, i'm happy also just saying fuck-all, i don't have the time to scrutinize this test. circle-jerk it on twitter amongst yourselves. i've got better things to do. nevertheless, i'm willing to accommodate this test as well as i know how. but those are my non-negotiable terms.

Do the parties involved have any known and/or suspected ties to Russian oligarchs, who might have financial interests in the outcome of these tests?

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Just because it irks me, "freedom of speech" is a right guaranteed by The US Constitution from infringement by the GOVERNMENT."

he can't read your post. i've lost my patience.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

i think the distinction here is between people trying to do tests and sharing on the forum (chung aero, toma tires, etc) with the intent of learning stuff, vs someone using dans forum to gain resources and an audience for what has at least been indicated to be a biased publicity exercise. sounds fair to me.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
I traded emails with Mat Steinmetz almost two months ago, and he was going to work towards borrowing the same (very expensive) mannequin Cervelo used to facilitate their testing. The reality was that if we were to use that mannequin then neither of
my two bikes would have been an option. Manny is two sizes up from my bikes. So in order to effectuate this testing I would have needed to come up with five new bikes. That just wasn't going to happen. Moreover, the mannequin needs to be bolted into the pads, so if you want to amass a slate of pads and cups -- as I have, to best normalize the ergonomics of that variable -- they aren't going to be much use after the testing. And then, if you use manny -- after all that -- there's still this question of does the static position of Manny really adequately capture the nature of the drive side slow for a pedaling rider? The Andean and the P5-X both have very different designs in this area, than say, Ventum.

Will there be more noise in the "rider on" (vs. "rider off") output data -- yes! The data will need to have larger error bars. Even with the rider on testing we are working to eliminate variables. I will not be wearing a helmet, for instance, because that's a variable that makes the head position variably doubly difficult to control (helmet moves and head moves). My plan is to look straight down for the duration, which is also not something that is practical, but it helps reduce the noise.
The one thing that, above all else, could help make the testing reproducible and informative has been punted on because it's too hard.

That you even pursued the idea is commendable. The thing is, I agree. It makes testing slow, expensive, and tedious. But that's the price to be paid in order to adequately answer the questions you're hoping to answer.

EDIT: One additional note - at A2 they have a camera and projector so your head position is projected on a whiteboard sitting in front of your front wheel. You can establish a position, they'll trace your head, and then you just simply have to put your head in the lines to reproduce a previous position.

It's not foolproof, but it's clever and definitely reduces error.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Apr 12, 17 12:21
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said Jordan.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might have missed Jordan's post above about how not even a mannequin is a silver bullet in terms of repeatability. I have heard similar things from others, including one experienced tester who became so frustrated with a mannequin moving around that he threw it in the garbage.

You also may have missed my point about a static mannequin not properly capturing drive side flow that is much more turbulent with a pedaling rider. It is conceivable that the Andean's "aero core" would test quite a bit differently with a pedaling rider vs a static mannequin, especially at yaw.

So no, I wouldn't say that I or we discarded the idea of manny just because it was too hard. There's disagreement among very experienced and informed people about whether even a static dummy bolted to the frame is a better or more reliable model of reality than a live rider. Both can have errors and both types of errors should be admitted and detailed and where possible quantified.
Last edited by: kileyay: Apr 12, 17 12:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
You might have missed Jordan's post above about how not even a mannequin is a silver bullet in terms of repeatability. I have heard similar things from others, including one experienced tester who became so frustrated with a mannequin moving around that he threw it in the garbage.

You also may have missed my point about a static mannequin not properly capturing drive side flow that is much more turbulent with a pedaling rider. It is conceivable that the Andean's "aero core" would test quite a bit differently with a pedaling rider vs a static mannequin, especially at yaw.

So no, I wouldn't say that I or we discarded the idea of manny just because it was too hard. There's disagreement among even very informed people about whether even a static dummy bolted to the frame is a better or more reliable model of reality than a live rider. Both can have errors and both types of errors should be admitted and detailed and where possible quantified.
Fair enough and I respect that opinion and Jordan's opinion as well. And we're in agreement on another point - neither of us is very informed. :)

But I will note that repeatability isn't something that the Specialized tunnel really does at all - with Jordan, with mannequins, with bikes on their own, etc. I don't believe there is a meaningful explanation to the idea that somehow a human being is more repeatable than a static mannequin, but I don't doubt that wasn't the result Jordan and the S engineers experienced.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Apr 12, 17 12:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares? All these bikes are FUGLY.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally. Some rational thought.

Though, the B2 included in the test is pretty hawt.

And more seriously, these non traditional frames have grown on me. I'm not sure I like any of them aesthetically more than say, a really nicely appointed P5. But over time they've become less appalling. That includes the Ventum, Omni, Andean, P5x, etc.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

You posted this without error bars??! We can't even evaluate the possible sources of error in fugliness. Like if you're drunk. Also you're a nordic skier, and nordic skiing went full fugly when they started allowing so-called "skating." You, sir, have a long way to go if you want to establish credibility.

Also, I think the Felt B series looks OK. And the Premier is OK, borrowing from what I think is the pretty sexy Canyon design language. I'm with you on all the others.

* All assertions are +/- 10% on the NBFS (Normalized Bike FUGLY Scale). .Normalized where 100% is the P5x and 0% is the English Cycles Time Trial Mk2
Possible sources of error are: GFY.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 12, 17 13:14
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you basing your assessment that the Specialized tunnel is not repeatable off of?

I've been in the Specialized tunnel twice. A year apart. Position between the two trips was unchanged though.

In both trips we did a comparison test of CdA with the Evade vs the McLaren TT. And the CdA differential between those two helmets was virtually identical between the two trips - 0.006 m^2, or just over 5w.

Since the purpose of this thread is - to a large extent - the very real issues with baseless accusations against the credibility of those who have established their bona fides, I'd ask what proof - if any - you have the Mark, Chris, & Cam aren't able to demonstrate repeatable data? Because that certainly doesn't jive with either my own experience or with subsequent discussions I've had with them about other findings.

Mark can also speak, if he wants, to the challenges with dealing with a mannequin. The fact that I was more repeatable than the mannequin was noteworthy, but it also wasn't surprising to either Mark or Chris.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Secondhand discussion with folks that work at two other tunnels. I think the general criticism revolved around the shape of the tunnel and the difficulty in straightening the air.

Trent Nix
Last edited by: trentnix: Apr 12, 17 13:55
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More agreement here. Man, agreeing can be fun.

But the English TT bike is so hawt. I've always wondered how it'd compare in the tunnel against the best carbon.

Who owns it? Can they ship to A2 by end of week?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Secondhand discussion with folks that work at two other tunnels. I think the general criticism revolved around the shape of the tunnel and the difficulty in straightening the air.

Are you sure you/they were/are talking about the Specialized tunnel? That would surprise me. Because those issues sound like you are describing Faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess this also assumes that the people you were talking to are more knowledgeable of the Specialized tunnel than Mark or Chris?

You spent a lot of time talking about the potential pitfalls of attempting a comprehensive tunnel test (all valid - not disagreeing there). But then repeat second hand information about the validity of data coming out of a tunnel you've actually never been to? Seems an odd stance.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
trentnix wrote:

Are you sure you/they were/are talking about the Specialized tunnel? That would surprise me. Because those issues sound like you are describing Faster.
I'm certain they were talking about the S tunnel. Isn't the S tunnel a big rectangle?

The way it was described for my public educated brain to grok was that air moves well in a column, a la the shape of a tornado, hurricane, etc.

Additionally, one of the notes the Texas A&M folks mentioned was that their tunnel is a big loop, meaning that it helps make the air more straight when it enters the testing area (as opposed to sucking air in one end and just pushing it out the other end).

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
I guess this also assumes that the people you were talking to are more knowledgeable of the Specialized tunnel than Mark or Chris?

You spent a lot of time talking about the potential pitfalls of attempting a comprehensive tunnel test (all valid - not disagreeing there). But then repeat second hand information about the validity of data coming out of a tunnel you've actually never been to? Seems an odd stance.
I feel confident that the people I talked to are educated on the subject. But I concede that doesn't make them correct.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good god... Precisely my point. It's not really worth getting into the tall weeds of tunnel design here. There are valid of criticisms that can be made about every type of tunnel design. And there's absolutely no clear answer about what sort of tunnel design is "best."

The Specialized tunnel has quite a few positives that really stand alone in the industry. The biggest one is that it was it was designed solely for bikes, so the balance is perfectly flush with the floor. And, of course, the balance never gets taken in or out.

But, to the larger point, for someone who has spent most of this thread attempting to pick apart the test protocol presented here, for you to say, "Repeatability is not something Specialized does well" and to not state that you are basing that off what is AT BEST secondhand - and possibly third/fourth/fifth/Nth-hand - information that you do not fully comprehend is totally absurd.

If you can elaborate a thoughtful criticism about what - EXACTLY - is wrong with the Specialized tunnel AND/OR present data DEMONSTRATING that it is not repeatable, fine. Until then...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

You posted this without error bars??! We can't even evaluate the possible sources of error in fugliness. Like if you're drunk. Also you're a nordic skier, and nordic skiing went full fugly when they started allowing so-called "skating." You, sir, have a long way to go if you want to establish credibility.

Also, I think the Felt B series looks OK. And the Premier is OK, borrowing from what I think is the pretty sexy Canyon design language. I'm with you on all the others.

* All assertions are +/- 10% on the NBFS (Normalized Bike FUGLY Scale). .Normalized where 100% is the P5x and 0% is the English Cycles Time Trial Mk2
Possible sources of error are: GFY.

I think the Andean hits 105%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Guess I didn't realize how sensitive the topic was. You guys have a great day. I'm punching out.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Inside the error bars, so I'll allow it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW Dan, I think the main requirement for posting here should be that they need to be completely transparent about their testing protocol. Tell us what the setups were that were tested, in detail, and how those were determined. Also, report EVERY test, not just the ones you like. That's already a way higher bar than almost any other tests we discuss here.

Sure, most people have some biases, and some of the guys involved have some opinions that they've already stated. However, their commercial interest/biases can't possibly be anywhere near the likes of Cervelo or Trek, or Flo, or whoever else's tests we discuss here all the time. The fact that they want to run the tests at all, at considerable expense to themselves presumably, means they have some interest in finding the right answer. I would urge you to require transparency but let them post the results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Inside the error bars, so I'll allow it.

The Mk2 is a beautiful bike but looks like it would have the stiffness of a wet noodle.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Sure, most people have some biases, and some of the guys involved have some opinions that they've already stated. However, their commercial interest/biases can't possibly be anywhere near the likes of Cervelo or Trek, or Flo, or whoever else's tests we discuss here all the time. The fact that they want to run the tests at all, at considerable expense to themselves presumably, means they have some interest in finding the right answer. I would urge you to require transparency but let them post the results.

You're being reasonable, and I think our two moderators have communicated this poorly, with some odd rationalizations. But I've kind of come full circle on this. The closest thing to this effort might be TomA's wheel testing. Which was quasi-independent, but had a Specialized "flavor" to it, using a lot of Specialized products and the Specialized wind tunnel.

And he served the results on his own blog. Just pointed to it from here. This forum, being based on like 1970's InterWeb technology, isn't even well served to displaying data well. Formatting, etc.

No big deal to post them on one of the many free blog services. And if it becomes very popular for these guys, that way they can start getting their own ad revenue instead of driving it all to Slowtwitch.

The results *will* get discussed here. That pretty much can't be stopped unless the moderators go full Kim Jong-il on our asses.
Quote Reply

Prev Next