Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
I would roll it back one step further and ask why we assume less stiff is less fast or less efficient or less anything, especially when it comes with some other benefit.

I remember reading an interview with Sean Kelly where he was asked about the frame flex of his aluminum Alan frameset, and if that slowed him down. He replied that he actually preferred the flex when sprinting, as it helped him establish a rhythm, and actually sprint faster. (I forget if he specifically said "helped get over the dead spot".)

I know that when climbing, particularly out of the saddle, I've also though a little flex is good.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
After speaking with the most renowned expert in this field this evening...I'm flip flopping.
There is no way that any results from this test can be regarded with any accuracy.
I'm disseminating information directly from someone who has spent more time in a wind tunnel than probably anyone on this planet.
I'm saying that you guys have wasted a whole lot of time and money....
What sort of nonsense is this?
I absolutely think aerodynamic testing of cycling equipment for mass consumption and to inform purchasing decisions is riddled with issues. But comments like this do nothing to remedy that.
I'd love to know who this "most renowned expert" is and how the hell you, they, or anyone else knows who on the planet has spent most time in a windtunnel. I spent 8hrs a day in one once for about 5 weeks but I don't remember anyone recording that fact (and no, I was testing bikes!).
Time spent in a tunnel isn't even what necessarily matters. There's lots of people with vast experience at activities which they nevertheless understand poorly.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twilkas wrote:
bravo.

dan has been quite clear the he needs to properly vet the people and the process. and anyone who doesn't understand the legal liability he faces is hopeless on this entire subject.

Interesting.

Consider two fact patterns:

1. An internet forum owner/operator provides no input, requirements, funding, etc. with respect to a forum member's post and simply allows that forum member to post information.
  2. An internet forum owner/operator requires prior review and approval of the protocols for generating certain information, states that certain information will be allowed to be published on the forum only if the owner/operator is satisfied as to its content, contributes money toward funding the generation of that information, etc.
Which of those two would you prefer if you, as a forum owner/operator, are trying to claim Section 230 immunity? Furthermore, why would those who would prefer the first fact pattern be "hopeless on [the] entire subject" as to legal liability?
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Joe Public] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just as a point of order, my interest was not in inoculating myself against legal liability. your legal analysis may well be right and it has always been a tension whether to be hands-off or to moderate. i've chosen the latter and i think in retrospect, when one looks at (for example) the history of reddit over the last 5 years my approach is (to date) justifiable.

nevertheless, liability was and is not my consideration. my interest is a little more human and a little less corporate. i would like to do what i can, as a moderator, to balance the needs of the reading audience against the need for bike companies to be treated fairly.

we have at least 2 of the 4 bike companies there at that test who have representatives on hand. slowtwitch had one of its folks there. there are plenty of "witnesses" to the test, both to make sure it's done as fairly as is reasonable.

my intent was to inject scrutiny. in the end it was less my scrutiny and more a kind of crowdsources scrutiny that has helped this process along.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guesses are MITaerobike or Chrisyu. Feel free to IM me to let me know let I'm incorrect and who the third mystery poster is.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Nothing more than I could get from Googling ;-)

Your googlefu must be stronger than mine, grasshopper - I couldn't find anything except a stated tubeset weight.

Scratch that: should have included "dimensions" as a search term from the git-go:

https://kitesurfbikerambling.files.wordpress.com/...lds-older-tubing.jpg

So, thicker walls than standard 531 Competition, but being squashed oval apparently reduced the stiffness to where even a non-sprinter such as myself could feel the difference.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Apr 18, 17 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul Dunn wrote:
joshatsilca wrote:
I would roll it back one step further and ask why we assume less stiff is less fast or less efficient or less anything, especially when it comes with some other benefit.

I remember reading an interview with Sean Kelly where he was asked about the frame flex of his aluminum Alan frameset, and if that slowed him down. He replied that he actually preferred the flex when sprinting, as it helped him establish a rhythm, and actually sprint faster. (I forget if he specifically said "helped get over the dead spot".)

I know that when climbing, particularly out of the saddle, I've also though a little flex is good.

Correct. For example, arrows shot with a longbow actually need flex and use flex to bend around the bow to hit the target straight on. Flex is not inherently bad, especially if you learn to use it for a benefit (loading like a spring for usable return force when pedal is at the dead spot, for example) And no flex can create a structure so rigid that it shatters, like concrete does. A bike frame could easily have flex that is engineered to be useful if it is storing and then returning energy at the same frequency as the highs and lows of human cadence, which would smooth out the peaks and valleys and create a smoother (less surging, which is wasteful) force of propulsion.

Here's a slow mo video of arrows flexing around the bow to create more accurate shooting. A little frame flex around the human body could create better (more accurate, equals faster in the end) drive forward. Good stuff is 2 minutes in.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Apr 18, 17 12:03
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
My guesses are MITaerobike or Chrisyu. Feel free to IM me to let me know let I'm incorrect and who the third mystery poster is.

definitely not.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just rereading this post looking for nuggets and it just occured to me that I know who you're talking about and that I spent some time in the tunnel with him if I'm correct. If you remember our fit, and I know nobody could remember that far back, but he was the guy I saw the year before I saw you in March of 2015.

Eric Reid

Jim@EROsports wrote:
I refer to him as "A Beautiful Mind without the Schizophrenia."

I actually don't know how many aero testing hours he has, but I do respect his opinion more than anyone else here. He's not in the industry.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:

I've been part of testing where two 'identical' carbon frames with different layups showed a difference in BB stiffness of 2x and looking at the speed/power data from control riders on control courses, we found literally NO repeatable difference in speed for a given power under any of the test conditions including out of saddle climbing and out of corner sprinting (most interestingly the out of saddle climbing actually showed an almost statistically significant improvement in favor of the less stiff bike..but not quite). Similarly we've built wheels with 2x difference in lateral stiffness for similar testing and unless there is rubbing of components, you just can't see anything in the data.

Stiffness is a popular proxy for 'fast' and 'efficient' but I think it's importance isn't as well understood as we might think.

Josh

If there were any material losses from frame flexing that were not returned due the elastic nature of a frame, then a frame being operated on a trainer would eventually heat up. Let's say you were losing 3.3% on 300W, then the frame should heat up by 10 joules per second. Over an hour of riding at 300W, 3600x10 joules or 36 kjoules of heat would enter the frame. Or that's like a 100W lightbulb operating for 6 minutes.....do you think we'd notice the frame getting warmer in an hour on a trainer if that much heat entered it from flexing around the BB. I think it would become warm to touch if the flexing was resulting in pure losses rather than "store and return".

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the biggest effect of frame stiffness can be seen in track sprinting.
Look at videos from times past and the bikes are all over the place under full power.
Look at recent videos and the bikes track remarkably true, almost unbelievably so.

I am sure there are less total losses with a bike that the wheels track each other well.

I also think that flexy steel frames were one of the major reasons that when hill climbing we all seemed to get by on ridiculously high geared bikes in the past compared to the gearing used today.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Josh

If there were any material losses from frame flexing that were not returned due the elastic nature of a frame, then a frame being operated on a trainer would eventually heat up. Let's say you were losing 3.3% on 300W, then the frame should heat up by 10 joules per second. Over an hour of riding at 300W, 3600x10 joules or 36 kjoules of heat would enter the frame. Or that's like a 100W lightbulb operating for 6 minutes.....do you think we'd notice the frame getting warmer in an hour on a trainer if that much heat entered it from flexing around the BB. I think it would become warm to touch if the flexing was resulting in pure losses rather than "store and return".

Dev

I rode so hard trying to keep up on Zwift the other day that my frame melted.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Look at videos from times past and the bikes are all over the place under full power.
Look at recent videos and the bikes track remarkably true, almost unbelievably so.

I am sure there are less total losses with a bike that the wheels track each other well.

I also think that flexy steel frames were one of the major reasons that when hill climbing we all seemed to get by on ridiculously high geared bikes in the past compared to the gearing used today.

Also the input amplitude of the vector forces flexing the frame, the degree flex and the period at which said forces apply might be more applicable to the store and release cycle at the longer relative period (and input force) for climbing than the higher input force and smaller period for sprinting...maybe modern carbon frames elastic modulus is more appropriate for sprinting dynamics. Its not that carbon frames don't flex, they do, they just flex in a different way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

Also the input amplitude of the vector forces flexing the frame, the degree flex and the period at which said forces apply might be more applicable to the store and release cycle at the longer relative period (and input force) for climbing than the higher input force and smaller period for sprinting...maybe modern carbon frames elastic modulus is more appropriate for sprinting dynamics. Its not that carbon frames don't flex, they do, they just flex in a different way.

Ayup.

If frame flex didn't matter than we all could saw away a chain stay to save weight. If flex was bad then mountain bikes wouldn't have suspension. You can lose power to the ground through flex, you can lose power to the ground through stiffness. Situational what works best where. At minimum being able to point a bike to a specific point and have it end up there is a good thing, but what might produce this end on a track will likely be different on cobbles.

By the way I have a standing "saw the chainstay" offer with a friend about testing his assertion that flex doesn't matter and that any loss is returned. He hasn't taken me up on that in a decade.

Saying you could feel a frame heat up if the flex wasn't returned as power is trolling. There's this thing called dissipation. If you lost 5w into a frame that would amount to a fraction of that heat in any individual place most of which would go bye bye into the airflow around the frame, with a big stack of variables. I'm sure you could develop a very expensive test rig to verify both this and the first law of thermodynamics. I'm thinking "why bother".

Field testing stiffness to efficiency also has a ton of variables. Rider weight, power, surface, frame design, Etc.

Finally, beware taking anything a pro says at face value. They are both paid spokes people, and not necessarily actually knowledgeable about what they speak of. When I was racing motorcycles professionally I would get boxes of product. The boxes would contain stickers, product, a hat, and an envelope. The sticker would go on the bike. The envelope would go into a bank account. The hat on my head. It was hit or miss if the product went into or onto the bike. But it was the best damn product out there, if I wanted to keep the envelopes coming.

Kelly may have been stroking the interviewer, not the frame.

3 Nats titles, 1 Nat record, 17 State champs. 4 wind tunnels. 100's of hours of testing. Still figuring this stuff out.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [KR Bickel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KR Bickel wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

Ayup.

If frame flex didn't matter than we all could saw away a chain stay to save weight. If flex was bad then mountain bikes wouldn't have suspension. You can lose power to the ground through flex, you can lose power to the ground through stiffness. Situational what works best where. At minimum being able to point a bike to a specific point and have it end up there is a good thing, but what might produce this end on a track will likely be different on cobbles.

By the way I have a standing "saw the chainstay" offer with a friend about testing his assertion that flex doesn't matter and that any loss is returned. He hasn't taken me up on that in a decade.

Saying you could feel a frame heat up if the flex wasn't returned as power is trolling. There's this thing called dissipation. If you lost 5w into a frame that would amount to a fraction of that heat in any individual place most of which would go bye bye into the airflow around the frame, with a big stack of variables. I'm sure you could develop a very expensive test rig to verify both this and the first law of thermodynamics. I'm thinking "why bother".

Field testing stiffness to efficiency also has a ton of variables. Rider weight, power, surface, frame design, Etc.

Finally, beware taking anything a pro says at face value. They are both paid spokes people, and not necessarily actually knowledgeable about what they speak of. When I was racing motorcycles professionally I would get boxes of product. The boxes would contain stickers, product, a hat, and an envelope. The sticker would go on the bike. The envelope would go into a bank account. The hat on my head. It was hit or miss if the product went into or onto the bike. But it was the best damn product out there, if I wanted to keep the envelopes coming.

Kelly may have been stroking the interviewer, not the frame.

You can't lose power (technically you meant energy) to the ground through stiffness from a technical sense. Flexing of a material will ALWAYS lead to energy lose. The only case where this wouldn't be true is if the material generated zero heat from the flexing which isn't possible. A force is required to make a material deform. The distance over which that force acts, or the strain, multiplied by the force is the energy required. That over time would give you power. What I think you meant to say is that the rider's speed:power ratio will be higher with deformation in certain scenarios. The reason why this would happen is if the deformation mitigates another force (rocks or debris) from acting on your bike in a direction counter to your direction of motion. Frame stiffness in a road bike is always a must though. If you want to vary your suspension you should play with your tire choice. Deformation of the frame that isn't in the direction of it's Y-axis is always a bad thing.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Any updates to be had for the donors to this project?

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
“I swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.”
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
Any updates to be had for the donors to this project?

Barring some significant deterrent like a court gag order, the report/results will be released Friday morning first thing.

Thank you for your support and for your patience
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And in other news, Slowtwitch will be doubling the capacity of its servers Thursday night to mitigate an anticipated denial of service attack early Friday AM by impatient triathletes clicking on the refresh button...
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the endless arguments about test protocol, the way the data is shown, marketing, looks, importance, etc., etc., on and on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool! Thank you sir!! Apologies if this had already been covered elsewhere in the forum and I missed it.

Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
And the endless arguments about test protocol, the way the data is shown, marketing, looks, importance, etc., etc., on and on.

Hey man, can't deny the hard-core slowtwitchers there fodder for saying mean things to each other.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Barring some significant deterrent like a court gag order, the report/results will be released Friday morning first thing.

Can you please wait until Monday? Friday is the last day of the quarter and some of us have a quota to hit ...

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh and demands for refunds and acussations of scams.

I believe the whole venture is awesome and the team that did it are aces and should be hugged.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

Party time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
Hey man, can't deny the hard-core slowtwitchers there fodder for saying mean things to each other.

*their

You fucking idiot

:)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply

Prev Next