Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
If you read through Kiley's posts you'll see we are testing with 2 things in mind. How Kiley would race as a FOP athlete (multiple top 3 OV amateur at 70.3 races) and how FOP athletes tend to set up their bikes for a race.

I have not been given any indication that we're gearing this towards those that prefer to carry 3,4 or more bottles at the start of an IM or 70.3.

It's partly about how the avg FOP athlete set up not how the average triathlete sets up which is how some recent testing was done.

Yes, I've read the testing, but people are bringing up items that go counter to what was stated by you and Kiley, I think it's a red herring if a bike can carry (x) without aero penalty, if that item matters to very few. Thanks for your reply.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Apr 16, 17 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I assume for the B2 you're going to run the Torhans bottle all the time no matter what (even if it's just called a "flat kit?") I've never seen anyone not use it, since, like the Cervelo P4, it's faster with that bottle.

Actually not in this case. The Torhans bottle doesn't scale down to the 51 B series/DA. The junction between the seat tube and down tube is narrower on the small size so the bottle and cradle don't fit.

trail wrote:
But I think it can be stipulated that it's possible to set up a BTS in such a way that it's nearly aero neutral. So I don't think much is learned by spending a ton of time actually doing so in a perfectly normalized, verified way. For transparency I think you just have to explicitly call out the Ventum's results with asterisks highlighting its tremendous hydration flexibility. Everyone already knows this, but just to avoid appearance of bias against Ventum. Normalizing around the Ventrum's integrated capacity for the other 4 bikes just adds too much risk and cost. (IMO)

You nailed it. This is exactly where we ended up as well
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
trail wrote:
I assume for the B2 you're going to run the Torhans bottle all the time no matter what (even if it's just called a "flat kit?") I've never seen anyone not use it, since, like the Cervelo P4, it's faster with that bottle.

Actually not in this case. The Torhans bottle doesn't scale down to the 51 B series/DA. The junction between the seat tube and down tube is narrower on the small size so the bottle and cradle don't fit.

trail wrote:
But I think it can be stipulated that it's possible to set up a BTS in such a way that it's nearly aero neutral. So I don't think much is learned by spending a ton of time actually doing so in a perfectly normalized, verified way. For transparency I think you just have to explicitly call out the Ventum's results with asterisks highlighting its tremendous hydration flexibility. Everyone already knows this, but just to avoid appearance of bias against Ventum. Normalizing around the Ventrum's integrated capacity for the other 4 bikes just adds too much risk and cost. (IMO)

You nailed it. This is exactly where we ended up as well

When are we getting the "while I was banned from ST, what shook out at Oceanside" race report????
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Did you decide on a minimum flat kit for all bikes?

Tactical, P5X and Andrean have flat/spare built in to the design....as Ventum has built in hydration.

Yes, decided. I'm not sure you're going to like the answer because I don't think the way I carry my flat kit materially impacts the designs that don't offer integration (in aero terms). These are small and compact items and there's little reason for you to not carry them in a way that is basically aero neutral.
Last edited by: kileyay: Apr 16, 17 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you have any type of control bike, like a Cervelo P3, too see how truly aero these new(er) bikes test to an old design?
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that's why he is testing the felt
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thankfully we are designing the protocol not everyone else. We did read a lot of the points made, discussed, discarded some/most, used others.
But most haven't been in the tunnel or designed testing so...

To your other post:

Yes a control bike, Kiley's Felt run as first runs & last runs.
We also have 3 zero yaw data points per run.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably sick of all the questions,

IIRC when I tested with Len Brownlie at UW he tested 3 point at 0 yaw, one at minus 3 mph one at 30 and one at +3 mph. These runs were like 6-8 minutes.

Are you varying speed as well as doing yaw sweeps, probably missed it already here but are you testing at +/- 10 degrees yaw?

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are not varying the speed as it is pretty simple to calculate from 30mph. We are doing yaw sweeps +10/-10 with a zero at the beginning middle and end.

mauricemaher wrote:
Probably sick of all the questions,

IIRC when I tested with Len Brownlie at UW he tested 3 point at 0 yaw, one at minus 3 mph one at 30 and one at +3 mph. These runs were like 6-8 minutes.

Are you varying speed as well as doing yaw sweeps, probably missed it already here but are you testing at +/- 10 degrees yaw?

Cheers,
Maurice

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
trail wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

I think the Andean hits 105%.

Inside the error bars, so I'll allow it.

The Mk2 is a beautiful bike but looks like it would have the stiffness of a wet noodle.

First off, it's steel..and secondly, you don't know the wall thickness of the tubes. Making a judgement of it's "stiffness" based on external looks is an exercise fraught with error.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
trail wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

The Mk2 is a beautiful bike but looks like it would have the stiffness of a wet noodle.

First off, it's steel..and secondly, you don't know the wall thickness of the tubes. Making a judgement of it's "stiffness" based on external looks is an exercise fraught with error.

From the Rob English site:

"Frame – My original bike used round tubes that I ovalised. This one uses actual airfoil shaped cromoly. I could only find these in a thicker wall than I would normally use, and so I was reluctant to use tubes that heavy. But upon reflection, I realised that the thicker wall would add stiffness and allow me to use a narrower profile. The downtube is only 14.5mm wide, with an 18mm wide seatmast. Lateral stiffness is maintained by using an ovalised toptube, which being horizontal doesn’t increase the frontal area."

Now, only Rob has ridden the bike AFAIK, but thick-walled ovalised cro-mo would seem to me to be a pretty stiff material to build a bike frame frame out of.

Plus the triangles are pretty small.

I would be very surprised if a lack of 'stiffness' in that frame would be holding back its rider, not that stiffness/flex is a problem in any steel-framed bicycle anyway, with the possible exception of some ultra thin-walled 'specials'.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
trail wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

From the Rob English site:

"Frame – My original bike used round tubes that I ovalised. This one uses actual airfoil shaped cromoly. I could only find these in a thicker wall than I would normally use, and so I was reluctant to use tubes that heavy. But upon reflection, I realised that the thicker wall would add stiffness and allow me to use a narrower profile. The downtube is only 14.5mm wide, with an 18mm wide seatmast. Lateral stiffness is maintained by using an ovalised toptube, which being horizontal doesn’t increase the frontal area."

Now, only Rob has ridden the bike AFAIK, but thick-walled ovalised cro-mo would seem to me to be a pretty stiff material to build a bike frame frame out of.

Plus the triangles are pretty small.

I would be very surprised if a lack of 'stiffness' in that frame would be holding back its rider, not that stiffness/flex is a problem in any steel-framed bicycle anyway, with the possible exception of some ultra thin-walled 'specials'.

Exactly. It's a pet peeve of mine when people "ass-U-me" stiffness properties based on section size.

It's the same thing when many assume a carbon bike with aero section tube shapes is undoubtedly stiff in the plane of the frame :-/

Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would roll it back one step further and ask why we assume less stiff is less fast or less efficient or less anything, especially when it comes with some other benefit.

I've been part of testing where two 'identical' carbon frames with different layups showed a difference in BB stiffness of 2x and looking at the speed/power data from control riders on control courses, we found literally NO repeatable difference in speed for a given power under any of the test conditions including out of saddle climbing and out of corner sprinting (most interestingly the out of saddle climbing actually showed an almost statistically significant improvement in favor of the less stiff bike..but not quite). Similarly we've built wheels with 2x difference in lateral stiffness for similar testing and unless there is rubbing of components, you just can't see anything in the data.

Stiffness is a popular proxy for 'fast' and 'efficient' but I think it's importance isn't as well understood as we might think.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After speaking with the most renowned expert in this field this evening...I'm flip flopping.
There is no way that any results from this test can be regarded with any accuracy.
I'm disseminating information directly from someone who has spent more time in a wind tunnel than probably anyone on this planet.
I'm saying that you guys have wasted a whole lot of time and money.
My apologies to you Dan for carelessly and recklessly speaking too quickly.
I don't believe that any results should be published in any form...because I have complete confidence in the inaccuaracy of the results..now.

My apologies...
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John. You need to quit.

Quote:
After speaking with the most renowned expert in this field this evening...I'm flip flopping.
There is no way that any results from this test can be regarded with any accuracy.
I'm disseminating information directly from someone who has spent more time in a wind tunnel than probably anyone on this planet.
I'm saying that you guys have wasted a whole lot of time and money.
My apologies to you Dan for carelessly and recklessly speaking too quickly.
I don't believe that any results should be published in any form...because I have complete confidence in the inaccuaracy of the results..now.

My apologies...
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you can't leave us hanging! Who is your incredible source?? And how can he speak so confidently without knowing any of the protocols?

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, how narcissistic are you that you apologize to Dan, suggesting that he made his decision to (potentially) allow the results to be published here simply because the test had your blessing?

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
Also, how narcissistic are you that you apologize to Dan, suggesting that he made his decision to (potentially) allow the results to be published here simply because the test had your blessing?

Don't feed the trolls.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:

No you're not, though I assume this was supposed to be in pink. At least I hope so. Actually, there's one person on this forum who probably does have more aero testing knowledge than anyone else here, but most of you don't know anything about him. I won't out him, but I pay very close attention to everything he types. He may have even posted in this thread. I don't know, I'm too lazy to go back over it and look.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what the fuck? this thread took a weird turn.

"there's one person on this forum who probably does have more aero testing knowledge than anyone else here, but most of you don't know anything about him."

i think i know the person to which you refer. i meant to ask him what he thought about it all, but i just didn't get around to it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I refer to him as "A Beautiful Mind without the Schizophrenia."

I actually don't know how many aero testing hours he has, but I do respect his opinion more than anyone else here. He's not in the industry.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers,

I discussed this with Brian, basically my thoughts after being to the tunnel X1 and spending 4-8 hours after with Len were that *maybe* "now I know what I don't know"

This is a project which is very tough for you guys, but interesting for the rest of us.

Hit it out of the park tomorrow!

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The result I think we will see is that we see a "winner", even though I think the numbers will be relatively close. I also think the bikes will each have an "out" for why it didn't test "great", etc. So I think in the end it will be cool to see the numbers and then the ......caveats will come in. X bike didn't use stock setup, Y bike needs rear hydration (or name your caveat) etc etc. So I think having Brian and Heath are going to setup a decently fair protocol. Then I think it's going to be nit picking the data, which will be fun for the guy in the wind tunnel who's famously called out much of the industry for it's processes. A very likely fun and appreciative process to be had.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
trail wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Any idea/resources on the dimensions of the old Reynolds 531 Speedstream tubeset? The Mike Melton-built aero steel frame I had back in the early 1980s was definitely not as stiff as conventional frames of the time.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: New vs. Old; Rim vs. Disc; Direct to Consumer vs. Retailer; Beam vs. Double Diamond (*an update*) [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
trail wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Any idea/resources on the dimensions of the old Reynolds 531 Speedstream tubeset? The Mike Melton-built aero steel frame I had back in the early 1980s was definitely not as stiff as conventional frames of the time.

Nothing more than I could get from Googling ;-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next