Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Aero-Shoe arms race is on?
Quote | Reply
So Bontrager dropped the new Ballista road shoe:

As clean as a Giro Empire, but with the quick-closure convenience of a BOA dial - will this be the new aero-weenie favourite?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero-Shoe arms race is on? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to have to grind off that toe bumper. The toe box also looks a little too roomy to be as aero as the giro. Nice job with the Boa dial though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A single Boa closure? No thank you. I'll stick with my Classiques. Laces are far superior.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero-Shoe arms race is on? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The toe box on Bontrager shoes isn't exactly spacious (at least, my current-gen MTB shoes of theirs aren't) - don't know if it's as tight as Giro, but it's narrower than Shimano for example.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a BOA failure after only a couple rides on a pair of expensive cleats -- and the day before an IM to boot. Saved my race by buying a new pair of tri-shoes at the expo. I won't buy anything with BOA dials again ... too much risk.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero-Shoe arms race is on? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never had a BOA failure myself, but I got two pairs of spares (BOA sends them out for free) in my travel pack just in case... I did, however, have a buckle tear at the mounting point and a Shimano ratchet fall off because of a sheared bolt - shit happens...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my case, the dial unit cracked right off and the tension immediately went to zero so the shoe was flopping on my foot. Since the shoes were virtually brand new I had no expectation of that and only after I came home did I find out about the free spares. But those shoes are relegated to the indoor trainer now. Velcro is proven and I'm not going to sweat a half gram of drag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't Lake make those shoes a decade ago?

i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzMwWDUwMA==/z/II0AAOxycmBS-qvK/$_3.JPG?set_id=2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake beat them by almost 10 years with their CX236....
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero-Shoe arms race is on? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, dammit, you beat me by like 30 seconds....
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero-Shoe arms race is on? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got these in the mail from Sigma UK yesterday, holy sexy. Now if I can just make the carbon tub comfortable....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero-Shoe arms race is on? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar pair in the mid 90's by diadora. Had a "boa" type system on the back of the shoe and velcro strap at the toe.

http://www.oldbici.it/product/diadora-dd-project-road-cycling-shoes-43-eur-nib/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I've had a BOA failure after only a couple rides on a pair of expensive cleats -- and the day before an IM to boot. Saved my race by buying a new pair of tri-shoes at the expo. I won't buy anything with BOA dials again ... too much risk.

I’d chalk that one up to bad luck. Have sold and worn a lot of BOA shoes, I could count in one hand the ones that had issues. None of my personal shoes have ever had any issues.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero-Shoe arms race is on? [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree; most likely a 1 in 1,000 or more defect. And in the first shoes or anything I ever owned with BOA ... also the last time I'll ever buy anything with BOA. YMMV. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the weight of those bad boys, I don't see it listed in the link? The more and more I think about the weight of the Giro SLX the more I am stunned. My 42.5 are basically below 160 grams modified. I know it isn't about weight, but when it comes to material, more weight often means more material, and more material likely means a larger frontal area and it is about aerodynamics then.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are an ugly pair of shoes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I agree; most likely a 1 in 1,000 or more defect. And in the first shoes or anything I ever owned with BOA ... also the last time I'll ever buy anything with BOA. YMMV. :)

I've been through 4-5 dials on my S-works road shoes. The good part is that Boa just sends replacements for free and they only take a few seconds to replace, so I keep a few in my gear bag. I just consider them a consumable, like tires or something.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero-Shoe arms race is on? [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

I’d chalk that one up to bad luck. Have sold and worn a lot of BOA shoes, I could count in one hand the ones that had issues. None of my personal shoes have ever had any issues.

X2 - only had one BOA failure in 1000s of Ks ridden. Company behind Boa sent me 2 replacements quite quickly- still have the second one. Plus Bontager stands behind their stuff in my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello tessar and All,

Very nice.

The Boa dial is of course in the right place on the back of the shoe ... but improperly oriented ... should be so that instead of needing to grasp it and turn to adjust .... the axis should not be in line with the long axis of the shoe ..... but rather at right angles to the long axis of the shoe so it could be operated with one finger to rotate it and most important the structure to support the boa could streamline the heel of the shoe .... a high drag area.

But a good first effort.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero-Shoe arms race is on? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How to do that though? It'd be sticking way off the back then? You need to draw that one up for me, Neil.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero-Shoe arms race is on? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello iamuwere and All,

Actually to streamline the heel ...... condidering the diameter of the heel ..... in optimum fashion would be near a ratio of diameter of heel to length of streamline section of about 1:4 ..... but lesser ratios (perhaps with a trip wire or surface conditioning) would still help. Picture the shape of a cross section of a carbon bicycle fork or a symetrical aircraft wing.

https://books.google.com/...ge&q&f=false

So orienting the boa wheel axis at right angles to the long shoe axis .... (boa wheel itself and support strucure lined up with shoe axis) could be helpful to fill the low pressure area behind the heel and make the boa easier to operate with one hand ..... maybe without running afoul of streamlining rules like Bont.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 somebody like Vittoria did some shoes like this with a heel boa about a gazillion years ago i seem to remember

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero-Shoe arms race is on? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
A single Boa closure? No thank you. I'll stick with my Classiques. Laces are far superior.

I wonder how the latest Sidis test. With 2 central low profile boas.
Quote Reply

Prev Next