Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada
Quote | Reply
I think this deserves its own thread: https://www.bikerumor.com/...ft-approach-1x-road/

Now Jordan can tell us all that 1x is practical, accessible, and versatile, and it may actually be true (for the Strada)

Can't wait to hear Tom A.'s take.

Dave, when can I order?
Last edited by: kileyay: Aug 31, 17 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So can that SRAM XD Driver free hub body fit on say a ZIPP,HED Mavic wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$290 for a cassette?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't buy it on Wiggle

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. About the same range as my 11-40 and probably a LITTLE lighter. Just pop an XD driver on my DT240s hub and good to go. Really like the Overdrive option. Don't mind the big gap for the single purpose gear meant for catching back up on a downhill.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
don't buy it on Wiggle

LMAO!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 9-tooth cog in a 1X will wear out SUPER quick because of so few teeth and because you HAVE to use it to keep up with riders who can use use a 12 tooth cog. Also, a 9-tooth cog causes a lot more friction with the chain because of excessive angles the chain has to contort to.

I also don't recommend sprinting on a 9-tooth cog, very likely to jump your chain because of so few teeth to handle sprint power.
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:
A 9-tooth cog in a 1X will wear out SUPER quick because of so few teeth and because you HAVE to use it to keep up with riders who can use use a 12 tooth cog. Also, a 9-tooth cog causes a lot more friction with the chain because of excessive angles the chain has to contort to.

I also don't recommend sprinting on a 9-tooth cog, very likely to jump your chain because of so few teeth to handle sprint power.

I hadn't thought about that, but these seem like pretty significant liabilities for this sort of wide-range 1X option.
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And nobody has mentioned the elephant yet.
There is about a 7% speed variation tooth to tooth due to chordal action.

Q rings for your cassette but with no consistent alignment with pedal strokes.
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

Care to translate that for laypeople? :)
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:

So, a sprinter would either not use the 9t cog (maybe keep it in the 10 or 11, depending on the rest of the course and cassette option chosen), or simply stick with 2x whatever, like they do now.

I almost never sprint, and when I do, I'm almost never in my very biggest gear.
So, this wouldn't be any sort of dealbreaker for me.
YMMV.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Hybridlete wrote:

So, a sprinter would either not use the 9t cog (maybe keep it in the 10 or 11, depending on the rest of the course and cassette option chosen), or simply stick with 2x whatever, like they do now.

I almost never sprint, and when I do, I'm almost never in my very biggest gear.
So, this wouldn't be any sort of dealbreaker for me.
YMMV.

Yea, I've done a fair amount of bike race sprint finishes and I've never been in the biggest gear. Probably not even much beyond thr middle of the cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

Potential random mini-torque spikes.
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Closer to 6%.
An 11 tooth is already 4%. How much do you feel that?
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

Closer to 6%.

Basically not at all, since the only time I'm in a 11 w/ a standard crankset, is right before I spin out on a descent.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Yea, I've done a fair amount of bike race sprint finishes and I've never been in the biggest gear. Probably not even much beyond thr middle of the cassette.

Sounds like you only sprint for the coffee shop door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh good, if only this had been around for a year.

https://bythehive.com/...ts/trs-race-cassette

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

Closer to 6%.

It's obvious. I can feel it in the 12 and 13 also. Plus I think the ratios on those cassette options suck.

I don't think sprinting in the 9t will be a problem though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

It is simple, a chain squares off the cog to some degree with each link so the diameter effectively changes.
On a large cog it is of little concern as the squaring off is a tiny portion of the overall diameter.
On small cogs the squaring off is a very large percentage and this is the reason Shimano doesn't go smaller than 11 tooth.

Jump on a MTB with a 10 tooth and ride it on the road and you will feel the vibration through the frame as well as the strange sensation through the legs of the gear ratio constantly changing.

I don't really notice it on an 11 but I sure do on a 10.
And the percentage ramps up very quickly as the cog sizes go down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Can't wait to hear Tom A.'s take.

The things people will do to compensate for poor design decisions... đŸ™„

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I run a 9 tooth cog with my overpriced and oversized 15t rear derailleur pulleys?
:-)
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

I knew it! Micro-accelerations! Exactly what I need for my physics model.

Edit: I'm not serious. But it does look like you would ride very jerky if you used a 9-tooth cog in a group ride and people tried to draft you. You could become unpopular with a reputation for not riding smoothly at high speeds.
Last edited by: Hybridlete: Aug 31, 17 23:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Edit: I'm not serious. But it does look like you would ride very jerky if you used a 9-tooth cog in a group ride and people tried to draft you. You could become unpopular with a reputation for not riding smoothly at high speeds.
You're not serious about your physics model? I think most of us already knew that ;)

You may feel the "chordal action" due to a small sprocket via the pedals but I can't see any reason why it would bother anyone else. It's not going to be the least bit perceptible to anyone else from your bike speed. You don't need a fantasy physics model to realise that the frequency is far too high for any perceptible variation in bike speed due to this.
However in case this isn't intuitively obvious to you, let's just look at an example of the sort of numbers involved. Lets say your speed is 36km/h (22.5mph), which is very slow to be riding in the 9 tooth sprocket anyway, even for a real grinder on a small 36T chainring. At that speed your rear wheel is rotating at a little over 4.5 times per second (about 273rpm). You have 9 teeth so the frequency of any torque or speed changes due to "chordal action" is about 41Hz (273*9/60). That sort of frequency may be noticed as vibration through the pedals by the cyclist but there's not a chance in hell that it results in bike speed changes that effect fellow riders in a group. How much do you think your bike slows down and speeds back up in 24 milliseconds? And it's not even that power is switched on and off every 24 milliseconds. No, we're talking about less than a 10% reduction from peak to minimum power during that 24 millisecond cycle. If you ride your bike and stop pedaling for a moment you'll find that a thing called inertia (may have cropped up in your "physics model") prevents the bike from suddenly coming to an abrupt halt. Neither aerodynamic drag, gravity, rolling resistance, nor bearing or other losses, are capable of providing sufficient braking effects in the world of cycling for this to be a problem. This should be a surprise to no-one.

Your pedalling frequency and smoothness has much more scope for variation in than the "chordal action" in question. This has a typical frequency of about 2.5-3Hz for both feet combined (assuming cadence of 75-90). So pedalling inconsistencies would have 15 times more impact based on the frequency and thus the time available for the bike to decelerate and accelerate between peaks. And that's if the variation in output was comparable. In fact, I'm certain that pedalling variation is a lot more than 6 or 7% being suggested for the sprocket chordal action. Also bear in mind that my example uses a rather unrealistically low speed. At higher speeds the effect would be even more negligible. So, in conclusion, there is absolutely no truth to the suggestion that this could gain you a reputation for not riding smoothly at high speeds. That's just nonsense - surprise.
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Hybridlete wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

You're not serious about your physics model? I think most of us already knew that ;)

You may feel the "chordal action" due to a small sprocket via the pedals but I can't see any reason why it would bother anyone else. It's not going to be the least bit perceptible to anyone else from your bike speed. You don't need a fantasy physics model to realise that the frequency is far too high for any perceptible variation in bike speed due to this.
However in case this isn't intuitively obvious to you, let's just look at an example of the sort of numbers involved. Lets say your speed is 36km/h (22.5mph), which is very slow to be riding in the 9 tooth sprocket anyway, even for a real grinder on a small 36T chainring. At that speed your rear wheel is rotating at a little over 4.5 times per second (about 273rpm). You have 9 teeth so the frequency of any torque or speed changes due to "chordal action" is about 41Hz (273*9/60). That sort of frequency may be noticed as vibration through the pedals by the cyclist but there's not a chance in hell that it results in bike speed changes that effect fellow riders in a group. How much do you think your bike slows down and speeds back up in 24 milliseconds? And it's not even that power is switched on and off every 24 milliseconds. No, we're talking about less than a 10% reduction from peak to minimum power during that 24 millisecond cycle. If you ride your bike and stop pedaling for a moment you'll find that a thing called inertia (may have cropped up in your "physics model") prevents the bike from suddenly coming to an abrupt halt. Neither aerodynamic drag, gravity, rolling resistance, nor bearing or other losses, are capable of providing sufficient braking effects in the world of cycling for this to be a problem. This should be a surprise to no-one.

Your pedalling frequency and smoothness has much more scope for variation in than the "chordal action" in question. This has a typical frequency of about 2.5-3Hz for both feet combined (assuming cadence of 75-90). So pedalling inconsistencies would have 15 times more impact based on the frequency and thus the time available for the bike to decelerate and accelerate between peaks. And that's if the variation in output was comparable. In fact, I'm certain that pedalling variation is a lot more than 6 or 7% being suggested for the sprocket chordal action. Also bear in mind that my example uses a rather unrealistically low speed. At higher speeds the effect would be even more negligible. So, in conclusion, there is absolutely no truth to the suggestion that this could gain you a reputation for not riding smoothly at high speeds. That's just nonsense - surprise.

States Assumptions -> Check
Provides Calculations -> Check (Bonus points would have been awarded if calcs, however simple, were presented using LaTeX)
Conclusions Clearly Stated -> Check + Bonus Points awarded for appropriate level of snarkiness

I hereby approve this post!
Quote Reply
Re: The 1X paradigm shifted: 3T bring 9-32 cassettes to market on the Strada [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
Oh good, if only this had been around for a year.

https://bythehive.com/...ts/trs-race-cassette

that's quite a bit more money with a range that doesn't really make a lot of sense for road applications.
Quote Reply

Prev Next