Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The 100 in 100 is starting early?
Quote | Reply
Saw the challenge up in the training log section so joined - it says it starts in 16 days, spanning from Nov 15th, 2019 to Feb 22nd, 2020.

After something like 13 years it's been moved up a month? Why?

(I may be a bit peevish about my ultra season running from January 5th to October 26th - I usually at least get a full month of "off season")

Quote | Reply
Isn't the protocol:

1) Airing of Grievances Thread opens
2) 100/100 Challenge opens in the Training Log
3) People start complaining they can't link to the Log almost immediately thereafter

???

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. Nov 15 is the day before USAT Draft Legal Nats - I'm gonna have to run through that finish line and add on another 10 or so minutes to get in my minimum. I guess I'll have to count these two weeks of So Cal fires as my "off season".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recall a poll some months ago about when it should be. Maybe the change in date is the result?
Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Isn't the protocol:

1) Airing of Grievances Thread opens
2) 100/100 Challenge opens in the Training Log
3) People start complaining they can't link to the Log almost immediately thereafter

???

I'm going to get all bent out of shape about the dates, sign up anyways, maybe log one run and then get lazy and ignore it all until next year...
Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Hmmm. Nov 15 is the day before USAT Draft Legal Nats - I'm gonna have to run through that finish line and add on another 10 or so minutes to get in my minimum. I guess I'll have to count these two weeks of So Cal fires as my "off season".

Backdoor brag much? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also slightly bitter that it now looks like I'll have to run the day after a really stupid race I signed up for - I thought I could take a week to wallow in the results of my inability to make good decisions, but here we are.

Quote | Reply
Take off the Week Of Wallow* as planned, then do doubles down the road [so to speak] to make it up?

* "MEH > WOW" ... I kinda like that

Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna have to run through that finish line and add on another 10 or so minutes to get in my minimum//

How about a 10 minute run warm up before the race, makes more sense, and I believe you can split one run on a single day? Or is it an 8 minute warm up? (-;

And yes to those wondering, there was a poll last year asking when you would like the 100/100 to start, and the majority said November 15th, so there you have it, majority rules..I would have preferred Dec 1st myself, but whatever, I like it is finishing sooner. IT gets it out of the way of early season races here, and swimming nationals too..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope this year run minimums are 30 min (purist, 30min total 1 session) and based on effort as I ask every year... So if your 6 min mile runner.. 9 min+ shouldn't count. That way we don't promote junk miles
Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I hope this year run minimums are 30 min (purist, 30min total 1 session) and based on effort as I ask every year... So if your 6 min mile runner.. 9 min+ shouldn't count. That way we don't promote junk miles

You may just have the concept of "junk miles" exactly backwards within the context of this challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may just have the concept of "junk miles" exactly backwards within the context of this challenge. //

No kidding ha!!! It is the embodiment of junk miles, and how they can get you to the quality ones!! If you want to have it be a real time/pace challenge, join the one guy that was doing a 5k every day under 20 minutes, then it can be a party of two!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I am just a customer of 100/100 these days, so I take whatever the organizer (slowman) decides. I originally had things starting on Dec 15th vs the usual post Xmas/New Year's programs that start on Jan 1st AFTER everyone gains 15 lbs. My reasoning for starting before is that I know that everyone goes nuts 3 weeks with the exhuberence before they either give up, or dial back, but minimally they don't gain those 15 lbs and they are active during holidays due to the challenge.

I think slowman wanted to start earlier to encompass US Thanksgiving. On my front it makes no difference as long as it starts before Jan 1. I liked the later end date as it was a good lead into spring marathons or spring triathlons (Northern Hemisphere)....but for some the later end date (March 23rd typically) meant it ate too much into swim and bike prep for spring marathons....so there is no perfect answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dates for the 100/100 Run Challenge (posted on 2019-07-18)

We've always started this on Dec 15. There's a question afoot about starting it on Nov 15. What is your preference?

Dec 15: 13 %
Nov 15: 37 %
Won't participate: 33 %
What's the 100/100? 17 %

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 29, 19 16:20
Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

We've always started this on Dec 15. There's a question afoot about starting it on Nov 15. What is your preference?

What's the 100/100? 17 %

We’re triathletes and always pushing the boundaries, so with the Date move up we can now keep the previous end date and do the:

130/130 Run Challenge
Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

What's the 100/100? 17 %

Oh great, so that means I barely have 2 weeks to get some semblance of a base to do this stupid challenge. The problem is that it only leaves us 16 days for any Airing of Grievances. That really sucks. ST needs at least a month of complaining before shutting up and actually doing sport. On a plus note those registered for IM Arizona get to log a solid 26 miler
Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I screwed up last year and started a day early not knowing how far I would make it. Today was 320 days. ..99% junk miles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
I'm also slightly bitter that it now looks like I'll have to run the day after a really stupid race I signed up for - I thought I could take a week to wallow in the results of my inability to make good decisions, but here we are.

Just b/c you signed up does not mean you have to do the race, espec not that race. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Slowman wrote:

What's the 100/100? 17 %

Oh great, so that means I barely have 2 weeks to get some semblance of a base to do this stupid challenge. The problem is that it only leaves us 16 days for any Airing of Grievances. That really sucks. ST needs at least a month of complaining before shutting up and actually doing sport. On a plus note those registered for IM Arizona get to log a solid 26 miler

... Aaaaaannd, we have our first grievance.
Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

So @mistressk needs to change the thread title then? Or are we starting a separate thread for further grievances?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That being said, I've got my bib ready

PM me is you want one of your own

Last edited by: RandMart: Oct 30, 19 6:38
Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
You may just have the concept of "junk miles" exactly backwards within the context of this challenge. //

No kidding ha!!! It is the embodiment of junk miles, and how they can get you to the quality ones!! If you want to have it be a real time/pace challenge, join the one guy that was doing a 5k every day under 20 minutes, then it can be a party of two!

I'm pretty sure that was synthetic....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

So @mistressk needs to change the thread title then? Or are we starting a separate thread for further grievances?

That's DEV's job....kinda funny that's he's the one griping about his own thread. Technically, he's got 40 hours to get the 2019/2020 thread started though.
Quote Reply
Re: The 100 in 100 is starting early? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Slowman wrote:

What's the 100/100? 17 %

I do believe my original post probably counts as the first grievance, so I can either edit the title or we can just let it roll as is. I'm feeling lazy. It's my fortnight of off-season, after all. I might not even run in the pissing rain today.

I must have missed the poll - I'm thinking it'll end too early to provide the motivation to run through some of the worst weather that winter has to offer, but since I don't usually need a lot of extrinsic motivation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. It also means the challenge will end just as my professional life hits its worst crisis point of the year, so perhaps its a blessing in disguise. Hell, if I'm not doing doubles on Sundays in March I might have more time for some back-to-back long runs for a late spring 50mi.

ericmulk, I'm just too dumb to DNS, even though I know it means I'm going to have to put in a couple of long road runs - blecch! - fairly soon. I'm also on the wait list (because I made the mistake of trying to sign up 5mins after registration opened, and it was already full) for this one, too. I really do make bad decisions.

Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:

I do believe my original post probably counts as the first grievance, so I can either edit the title or we can just let it roll as is. I'm feeling lazy. It's my fortnight of off-season, after all. I might not even run in the pissing rain today.

Ok, fair enough. Dev is demoted to the second step on the podium race to whining. :-D

Pissing rain here, today also.

Haven't decided if I'm in on this one, yet or not. I guess I have 16 days to decide. Hmmm....
Quote Reply

Prev Next