Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Thanks to slowman for 2020
Quote | Reply
Thanks to slowman and the ST team for hosting this place through this year. During a time of isolation and limitations, being able to come to this forum has been invaluable. Normally we would see friends, training partners and competitors at real life events, at workouts, or social settings. Depending on where we live some or all of that evaporated this year.

There were very few races to talk about but there were all kinds of self generated challenges, be it Everesting, working on 5K PB's, or just putting heads down and training for whenever we get to race, or just training for tomorrow's workout and so on.

Like elsewhere in society the pandemic may habe brought out differences between us (and where we live affects our thought process for sure) and some of that may have been complicated, but the common thread of sport was a nice one, that we may not have elsewhere in society.

Through all of this slowman held a level head, allowed us to discuss freely, rarely with any intervention and on the balance stuck great balance. If I look at the comments section in any mainstream media, it quickly degenerates to uncivilized behavior, but things held out really well here.

In any case, I am sure I am not the only one who wants to give thanks for enabling all of this during a tough time. Thanks Dan. I think now you move ST to year number 19 (started in fall 2002)? Making through this year with no nuclear meltdown, alone, is a big achievement.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks to slowman for 2020 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah Dan, thanks for 2020!

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks to slowman for 2020 [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha....blame it on slowman!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Thanks to slowman and the ST team for hosting this place through this year. During a time of isolation and limitations, being able to come to this forum has been invaluable. Normally we would see friends, training partners and competitors at real life events, at workouts, or social settings. Depending on where we live some or all of that evaporated this year.

There were very few races to talk about but there were all kinds of self generated challenges, be it Everesting, working on 5K PB's, or just putting heads down and training for whenever we get to race, or just training for tomorrow's workout and so on.

Like elsewhere in society the pandemic may habe brought out differences between us (and where we live affects our thought process for sure) and some of that may have been complicated, but the common thread of sport was a nice one, that we may not have elsewhere in society.

Through all of this slowman held a level head, allowed us to discuss freely, rarely with any intervention and on the balance stuck great balance. If I look at the comments section in any mainstream media, it quickly degenerates to uncivilized behavior, but things held out really well here.

In any case, I am sure I am not the only one who wants to give thanks for enabling all of this during a tough time. Thanks Dan. I think now you move ST to year number 19 (started in fall 2002)? Making through this year with no nuclear meltdown, alone, is a big achievement.

Well said.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks to slowman for 2020 [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:

i take full responsibility for 2020. china virus? ha! we refer to it as the slowtwitch virus around here. and that has my juices flowing. slowtwitch virus. i like it. if you see this on the site, you'll know that you were the genesis of the idea.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks to slowman for 2020 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This one's on the house ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Morelock wrote:

i take full responsibility for 2020. china virus? ha! we refer to it as the slowtwitch virus around here. and that has my juices flowing. slowtwitch virus. i like it. if you see this on the site, you'll know that you were the genesis of the idea.

ST virus has been incubating since fall of 2002. Why did it take this long to erupt???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gotta second all of this.

Probably some of the best laughs I've had in all of 2020 were from reading posts on this forum (well, in the lavender room). And laughter is pretty much life's best medicine.

Here's hoping that 2021 (well, ... after Jan. 20 at least) is better for all of us!

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree! Also thanks to those of you have provided useful information regarding Covid-19. It is sometimes difficult to know who to trust during a pandemic, but I could trust most of you regarding your personal experiences with C19 because of our shared desire to continue to SBR.

Happy New Year!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 30, 20 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well Stated - I very much appreciate the distraction that this site has provided for me in a tough year. I am hoping it will help me through the rest of the winter and bring me to a happy place of races in 2021. Cheers to Slowman and all the frequent contributors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers!! Couldn’t agree more!! Thank you Slowman, Slowtwitch authors, and all of you on the forum!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Slowman.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks to slowman for 2020 [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coyote pelon wrote:
Thanks Slowman.

slowman thanks you all right back.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gracias!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
coyote pelon wrote:
Thanks Slowman.

Haha...you are thanking us for making your life complicated in 2020!!!!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 31, 20 18:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
coyote pelon wrote:
Thanks Slowman.

Dan - Man, you gotta take a huge credit here. I mean, this place is just addictive to almost anyone who does triathlon, and even for a lot of "pure" swimmers, bikers, and runners. I would be pretty PO'd if someone decreed that this forum is "illegal" or something similar, which resulted in your pulling the plug. I've been coming here since 2008 but didn't join up until 2012 b/c otherwise I'd never have gotten any work done. I started tri in 1986 so long history pre-ST but I am much more well informed about swimming, biking, running, and fitness in general. So seriously, take a virtual bow. Dave Scott notwithstanding, you're The Man!!!!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Dan, cheers to a happy and healthy 2021.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you feel really good about what you built here :)

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1

I don’t post enough but I love this place. Thanks Slowman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
count me in on a BIG THANK YOU TO SLOWMAN AND THE ST CREW. I get pretty much all of my advice and info from ST, and have found the community very kind and helpful. Let us all count our blessings, and enter 2021 with gratitude. Thank you, Dan. Hope to meet you next time you are at an Austin event, post-covid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concur with all above. I've been doing tri's on and off since 1985, rarely post but have been a member here for 10+ years and am an ardent reader. I'm not fast anymore but am confident I am up to date on the latest technology/bike developments and training regiments based on the recurring themes from the veteran posters on this forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto!
And thanks Dev for thinking of this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Far too kind, Dev. It's been a tough year but I think we did as well as we could navigating our way through it.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks to slowman for 2020 [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Far too kind, Dev. It's been a tough year but I think we did as well as we could navigating our way through it.

I think you guys did am excellent job navigating this year

1. A bunch of frustrated and complaining athletes who have their big outlet outside work and family taken away. All races successively cancelled.

2. All race directors losing all their source of revenue. Their livelihood, those of their staff on hold or gone.

3. Pro athletes and event announcers losing their main source of income. Losing the platform that is the foundation of their careers. No races no real income prospects.

4. Manufacturers and industry types. With athletes not having racing to target an unknown impact on their source of revenues.

5. Polar opposite and in between views between all of us on all topics some fueled by the 4 points above the rest by the world around us.

In the context of items 1-5 above, this place could have easily self detonated and turned into a place not worth coming to. You all kept things rolling, moderated with a very light touch and allowed all topics to take their natural course. That's not easy.

So yeah thanks, and let's hope all of items 1-5 are none issues partway thru this year. It can only get better.

Now let's get out and get on the 2-4 hrs of training per day program since we are a solid 1000 hrs of training away from the 1000 hrs training year. Hopefully we will see people in person at events in 2021!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next