Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Thanks FORM goggles, 1 mile TT PR
Quote | Reply
first of all, AOS in the tri game 10+ years, so not fast for some of you. Missed goal of sub 30min 4 years ago by 4 sec, because I did not know what pace I was doing (for sure had better swim fitness back then). Next year got the Marlin audible swim pacing device which I blogged about https://coupleofathletes.wordpress.com/...h-swim-game-changer/ .... 3 or so months before the race someone stole them from me at the pool while showering. Then next 2 years, that lovely time warp disease canceled my go to mile swim race. During this time I learned not to depend on races, make your own! Finally this year got the FORM goggles which displays pace in the lens. Also brought the Tayogo music phones, which i think was something that helped me during my better swim days. Today finally hit the goal, 29:38 !! started off fast first 100, kept 5min 300s, then finished fast with the last 100. Mile should be 1760yd, but the pool was 25yd so the extra distance requires more a push. Speaking of push, open turns only, no flips. Next goal will be to do this flipping, since I am not that great at it.

Last edited by: synthetic: Jan 23, 22 16:42
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks FORM goggles, 1 mile TT PR [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats. I think it would be harder to go under 30 minutes without flip turns. Will be interesting to see what time you get to later when you have a good handle on flip turns.

I can't do flip turns either, but hope to figure it out some day. I'm not trying though, so that might not help my cause. Haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good work! I’m glad you’ve found utility in the Form goggles - I am curious why you feel you attributed earlier attempts to not knowing pace? I would think with your target time that would be swimming 1:40/100’s…if you’re not flip turning you must be able to get a glimpse of a wall clock on the 100 - with the target time and pace you’re landing on the 20, 40 or 60 sec position with every 100. If you’re off make a mental note of the seconds ahead / behind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it really a PR, since you have to attribute your improvement in times to modern, previously unattainable technology?

Last edited by: IKnowEverything: Jan 23, 22 18:03
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks FORM goggles, 1 mile TT PR [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FORM is the carbon shoes of goggles. This PR does not count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
Is it really a PR, since you have to attribute your improvement in times to modern, previously unattainable technology?

Perfect! I was trying to think of a snarky remark only to scroll and see you’d already nailed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks FORM goggles, 1 mile TT PR [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats to the OP.

For the snarky people: What is the difference between seeing the big clock on very open turn, thereby knowing your pace and adjusting accordingly, and the pacing help that form goggles provide?

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks FORM goggles, 1 mile TT PR [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:
Congrats to the OP.

For the snarky people: What is the difference between seeing the big clock on very open turn, thereby knowing your pace and adjusting accordingly, and the pacing help that form goggles provide?

Is this serious? OP has been ripping carbon shoes for a few years now - the snark is in relation to that, not the goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
Skuj wrote:
Congrats to the OP.

Is this serious? OP has been ripping carbon shoes for a few years now - the snark is in relation to that, not the goggles.

And you assume that I have been here for years and read all those posts how?

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks FORM goggles, 1 mile TT PR [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:
Vols wrote:
Skuj wrote:
Congrats to the OP.

And you assume that I have been here for years and read all those posts how?

I answered your question above after I asked if it was serious. To restate, OP has been ripping carbon shoes for a few years now - the snark is in relation to that, not the goggles.

For the record, I also have the goggles and they are helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:

well, i didnt gain fitness but my mind does wander when efforts get longer causing me to slack off. Those mentioning my carbon shoe opinions, the goggles do not propel me faster.... if anything i dont think they are that aerodynamic compared to other goggles, maybe costing some speed.

Currently I have been racing run races without looking at my watch. That is costing me on time goals, yet its not so ergonomic to look at it constantly.... so does anyone know of running glasses that show pace?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Oakley may have made something a few years ago that didn’t gain traction. I could be wrong? I feel like I remember seeing an ad with Crowie but not positive as brief google search turned up nothing for me, but I didn’t search hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
I believe Oakley may have made something a few years ago that didn’t gain traction. I could be wrong? I feel like I remember seeing an ad with Crowie but not positive as brief google search turned up nothing for me, but I didn’t search hard.

looked it up, its mostly an audio device attached to glasses. Closest thing I can think is google glass, but they have seemed to disappeared from the consumer world
Last edited by: synthetic: Jan 24, 22 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:

I know, right? Call me when he does it with swedes and an analog clock.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The goggles to carbon analogy is fair. You use pacing aids (audible aids, visual aids) to assist you to maintain speed you could not maintain without those aids. Just like carbon inserts allow runners to maintain speeds deeper into races.

Anyway, congrats on the PB. I don't even disagree with you on the shoes thing, it's just the fact that you can't see the parallel that is strange.

Quote Reply
Re: Thanks FORM goggles, 1 mile TT PR [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
The goggles to carbon analogy is fair. You use pacing aids (audible aids, visual aids) to assist you to maintain speed you could not maintain without those aids. Just like carbon inserts allow runners to maintain speeds deeper into races.

Anyway, congrats on the PB. I don't even disagree with you on the shoes thing, it's just the fact that you can't see the parallel that is strange.

No because the only similarity would be running a race with a watch vs without, where there is only clock at finish
M----n wrote:
IKnowEverything wrote:

I know, right? Call me when he does it with swedes and an analog clock.

Actually now that I recall my times were faster training with swedes for 1k - 1.5k cause they were so painful you want to get session over asap

###update### found these for run/bike. bit pricey though:

https://everysight.com/ and https://us.engoeyewear.com/
Last edited by: synthetic: Jan 24, 22 18:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To the form goggle users, I have been contemplating getting them. Do you find they are capturing distance and time accurately? I am ok with the clock, but not great. I also find I lose track of the laps on occasion. Stroke count might be nice to have as well. All form users, past and present, and traditional swimmers experiences welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks FORM goggles, 1 mile TT PR [mdeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m almost always in a lane alone. I count by dividing the lane in thirds: each side of the lane and the middle. I swim 100 over each part of the lane in a rotation, which makes it easy to count. I’m always finishing a distance that is the multiple of 200 on the black line.

I’m still shocked at the idea of people dropping $200 on a pair of goggles. I think I’ve spent a total of $200 on goggles over the last 10 years, and in many of those years, I swam well over 1000km/620miles.

If your pool doesn’t have one, buy a small analog pace clock and put it where you can see it during swimming or turns. A few pairs of decent goggles and a pace clock will still cost less than $200.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Form Goggles 3-4 times/week for about a year now. My experiences have been that the distance and time captures are accurate 95% of the time. The only times I've found that the distance is not accurate is when I am in what it referred to at "Drill" mode doing kick drills etc. I really wouldn't trade them. For someone who did not grow up swimming it is great to see information such as pace, dps, distance in the set, and heart rate continuously on what is basically a heads up display. It is also nice on the wall to see your rest time from your last working set.

My only complaint is that the antifog on the lenses is very delicate. My goggles have pretty bad swirlmarks on them and unfortunately have for about 8 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using them for about 2 years. Getting the fit right with the nose pieces took a few tries. I have really liked them so far. They have been accurate in distance for me unless I do something like sculling or stand up mid length, etc. What I have liked about them most is 1) access to pace clock without wearing something on my wrist. 2) no searching for a button at the end of interval or lap 2) a display my eyes can see regardless of fogging or sunlight levels 3) I get feedback on pace after every 25 so for long swims I can see if I'm holding desired pace or lagging 4) hands free feedback on stroke change/efficiency 5) like a garmin, the upload to Training Peaks when they sync with the app.

As of the end of last year, FORM added workouts to the goggles. You can download up to 5 workouts to your goggles from their extensive library using the app. I have really liked this. I swam with a Masters team for 15 years and am now swimming on my own in a facility where indoor pool has one sketchy pace clock and the outdoor pool has no clock at all. so I get in , push one button to start the swim and I get instructions/countdown like a deck coach would give me.

Their customer service has been outstanding so far . I had one pair pixelate a bit and they replaced the goggles no problem.

Cons: visibility beyond the display is not nearly as good as my Vanquishers. Fit can be fussy and I do need to wear them tighter than my Vanq's to ensure no leakage. They fog a bit as they age and you should not ever really ever touch the lens to keep their anti-fog intact as long as possible. They live in their case before and after each swim so they require more care than tossing goggles into bottom of swim bag. I need to charge them about every 2-3 weeks, depending on use.

When I purchased mine they had a 30 day return policy to try them, not sure if that is still the case.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks FORM goggles, 1 mile TT PR [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SusanH wrote:
As of the end of last year, FORM added workouts to the goggles. You can download up to 5 workouts to your goggles from their extensive library using the app. I have really liked this. I swam with a Masters team for 15 years and am now swimming on my own in a facility where indoor pool has one sketchy pace clock and the outdoor pool has no clock at all. so I get in , push one button to start the swim and I get instructions/countdown like a deck coach would give me.

Do they allow you to load a workout from TrainingPeaks?

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks FORM goggles, 1 mile TT PR [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, you cannot import from external source. Here is DCRainmakers review.
Also, the workouts require subscription but there was a hefty discount for first year - maybe that was because I was existing user already?

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...rt-swim-goggles.html
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks FORM goggles, 1 mile TT PR [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For someone else looking for a tool to help pacing, the TempoTrainer Pro is another option for about $40-$50. You can time the intervals for your 25yd lengths down to a hundredth of a second.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks FORM goggles, 1 mile TT PR [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I paid $160 for the goggles, they changed sales format to $99 for goggles + 3 month subscription ($20/mo).

I have analog clock at the pool... many times it is broken. It is also annoying to keep track of laps, as my mind wanders.

Compared using my garmin in pool .... the form goggles do not miss flip turns. It also can track pure kick sets.
Quote Reply

Prev Next