Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thank you!
Quote | Reply
Wow! In our recent USAT special election on bylaw changes, we achieved 4 x the usual number of participation (by percentage). Thank you for voting, and for caring about your NGB!
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you! [ChuckG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChuckG wrote:
Wow! In our recent USAT special election on bylaw changes, we achieved 4 x the usual number of participation (by percentage). Thank you for voting, and for caring about your NGB!

how do you know? i tried to find the actual tally. the results, numerically. i failed.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Percent of eligible voters was 4.67%. Usual turnout has been between 1.0-1.5% as you know. So, at least we got some people to pay attention and vote, and that is never a bad thing, although, I would have preferred a different outcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChuckG wrote:
Percent of eligible voters was 4.67%. Usual turnout has been between 1.0-1.5% as you know. So, at least we got some people to pay attention and vote, and that is never a bad thing, although, I would have preferred a different outcome.

where do you see this? how do you know this?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's Chuck Graziano. On the Board.

I'd assume he'd know results.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you! [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
That's Chuck Graziano. On the Board.

I'd assume he'd know results.

well. okay. but as you know i'm not in love with how this election was conducted, and the fact that the results were not made public (other than what won/lost) is another example of how our federation has backslid on election protocols.

elections are like latex tubes. you have to keep pumping air in them, or they will become unridable eventually. tubes don't pump themselves up. they require your care and energy. likewise with elections. getting the information doled out, in pieces, from behind the secret door, just makes me wonder why we got 4x the number of folks voting than we typically get.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I agree with you. Just didn’t know if you knew the source.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

of course i know chuck. he's a legend! but i guess i naively thought he was behaving as i would behave, that is, going to the website, finding the data that is - excuse me - ought to be there, and reporting it back.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, yeah. That would be the way it *should* work. However, with most things USAT...the way things do work and the way they should are often opposed to one another.

Shame, because I think Rocky’s got some good ideas. But it can’t seem to help finding a new way to shoot itself in the foot once every four years or so.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Well, yeah. That would be the way it *should* work. However, with most things USAT...the way things do work and the way they should are often opposed to one another.

Shame, because I think Rocky’s got some good ideas. But it can’t seem to help finding a new way to shoot itself in the foot once every four years or so.

This^^^ But sadly more frequently than every 4 years.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

of course i know chuck. he's a legend! but i guess i naively thought he was behaving as i would behave, that is, going to the website, finding the data that is - excuse me - ought to be there, and reporting it back.

Oh Snap!

Maybe you should have taken the exclusivity and run with it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan- I asked Rocky for the results breakdown. I think they published the numbers with the press release.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChuckG wrote:
Dan- I asked Rocky for the results breakdown. I think they published the numbers with the press release.

great. thank you. i got that press release. here it is:

2021 USA TRIATHLON SPECIAL ELECTIONRESULTS ANNOUNCED, BYLAW AMENDMENTS PASSEDRevisions reflect best practices for sport governance, alignment with Congress and USOPC requirements
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — USA Triathlon today announced the results of its March 2021 Special Election, which officially closed at 11:59 p.m. MT on Tuesday, March 30. The proposed bylaw amendments have passed.

Through these bylaw revisions, USA Triathlon is now implementing best practices for sport governance, complying with federal law (the Empowering Amateur Athletes Act passed by Congress in October 2020) and new U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC) annual audit requirements, and is in position to react quickly to changes in legislation, and unexpected regional, national or global situations.

“The passage of these bylaw amendments is an important step for the USA Triathlon Board of Directors,” said Joel Rosinbum, USA Triathlon Board of Directors President. “This better enables us to identify and encourage traditionally underrepresented groups to have a voice on the Board and afford equitable representation in both gender and able-body and para athletes, as well as expand the expertise and skill sets of the Board by recruiting Independent Directors. Additionally, we look forward to holding more robust elections by tapping into the nationwide talent pool of our membership and encouraging greater dialogue with the membership in regard to future bylaw amendments.”

What was passed?

Board of Directors

• The 12-member composition of the Board of Directors will now be divided evenly between the three groups: four (4) Athlete Directors, four (4) Independent Directors, and four (4) General Directors. This is a change from the previous composition of three (3) Athlete Directors, three (3) Independent Directors, and six (6) General Directors.
  • General Directors will now be elected by a national at-large vote, with all members being afforded the opportunity to vote for the top candidates regardless of geographic location
  • Increased clarification on the definition of “Independent” for an Independent Director, whose expertise, experience and perspective are derived from their truly “independent” position
  • A broader range of Elite Athletes are now eligible to serve on the Board and Committees through the added definition of “Elite 10+ Year Athletes” along with the pre-existing “Elite 10 Year Athletes” definition
  • Athlete Directors will better represent the full spectrum of Elite Athletes as at least one Athlete Director must meet the Elite qualification requirements as a female; as a male; in a Paralympic competition and in an Olympic competition
  • Athlete Directors will now have an eight-year term limit, consistent with the term limits of Independent and General Directors
Elections

• Amendments to the bylaws will now require a supermajority (9 out of 12 or 75%) affirmative vote from the Board of Directors. Previously, amendments to the bylaws required a majority (6 of 12 or 50%) affirmative from the Board of Directors and a membership vote. Additionally, Board of Directors will actively seek member feedback on bylaw revisions as proposed amendments will be posted prominently on the USA Triathlon website, and proactively communicated to the membership community for feedback for at least 30 days. After the 30-day period, the Amendment becomes effective, or the Board may choose to make further changes based on the feedback received.
The USA Triathlon Board of Directors would like to thank all USA Triathlon Annual Members who cast a vote in the 2021 Special Election. As a membership-based organization, USA Triathlon encourages the active, vocal and engaged participation of its members in future USA Triathlon elections.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've asked if there's any reason why the numbers could not be published and assuming there is none, I'll post them later today.
PS- I personally believe they should be posted. I am also concerned that this is part of the "transition" that USAT is going through in getting away from being a membership organization and moving to being a clone for USOPC, with the overwhelming focus on the Olympics, Paralympics and medals. While these are important areas for our attention, we (USAT) have always been an organization of race directors, athletes (including age groupers), coaches, and officials. Certainly these bylaw changes were a giant step away from our roots.
Chuck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received a survey from them today. There is definitely a shift in focus AWAY from the age grouper if the survey is an indicator.

Hopefully all the races I do will drop the USAT sanctioning so I can drop my membership.
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you! [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
I received a survey from them today. There is definitely a shift in focus AWAY from the age grouper if the survey is an indicator.

Hopefully all the races I do will drop the USAT sanctioning so I can drop my membership.

Yeah, we need more events where there’s no competitive rules or safety standard enforcement.
Ironcowboy, here we come, Yeehaw!

That’s very sad and disturbing news, that amateur athletes may get cast by the wayside.
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you! [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

Yeah, we need more events where there’s no competitive rules or safety standard enforcement.
Ironcowboy, here we come, Yeehaw!

That’s very sad and disturbing news, that amateur athletes may get cast by the wayside.

Out of curiosity - What enforcement do you see at USAT races? Having a USAT ref is option and many races don't pay for them (they cost the RD extra). As mentioned almost daily on this sight when we were racing - Many USAT races are full of drafting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The actual results of the vote can be found at https://www.teamusa.org/...bout/USAT/Governance.
My bad for not having seen this earlier (I find our website a bit difficult to navigate). Apparently, it's been posted since the announcement.
Quote Reply