Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Texas AG ironman champ 4 yr ban announced
Quote | Reply

I have come to learn there are many sides to these stories. But this ones language is VERY direct. Reads like coach/fellow athlete tried to educate, athlete didnt listen, they went to powers that be.

Discuss your thoughts.

TAMPA, Fla. (February 21, 2017) – Today, the IRONMAN® Anti-Doping Program announced that American age-group athlete Holly Balogh tested positive for a prohibited substance and has accepted a four-year suspension which is the applicable sanction for an intentional anti-doping rule violation. Ms. Balogh’s positive sample was collected at the 2016 IRONMAN® North American Championship Texas and she will receive credit for the period of her Provisional Suspension which began on July 11, 2016.
Balogh’s sample tested positive for the presence of an exogenous testosterone and/or its metabolites, which was confirmed by Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry (IRMS) analysis. The use of any exogenous Anabolic Androgenic Steroid, including testosterone, is prohibited at all times under IRONMAN Anti- Doping Rules consistent with the World Anti-Doping Code and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Prohibited List. In addition, Ms. Balogh did not apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE).
All results-management proceedings and sanctions applied under the jurisdiction of the IRONMAN Anti- Doping Program are determined in accordance with the WADA Code and the IRONMAN Anti-Doping Rules. IRONMAN’s investigation included information provided by two former athlete support personnel who had worked with Ms. Balogh as well as facts gathered in cooperation with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. Through this investigation, IRONMAN confirmed that Ms. Balogh was aware of the inherent risks associated with her conduct and proceeded to knowingly take the prohibited substance. Ms. Balogh initially exercised her right to appeal through the independent arbitration process administered by McLaren Global Sports Solutions under the IRONMAN Anti-Doping Rules. Following the presentation of evidence, she decided to withdraw her appeal and instead accept the sanction.

“It is unfortunate that Ms. Balogh chose to disregard the education, advice and knowledge she had regarding anti-doping and instead competed in violation of the IRONMAN Anti-Doping Rules,” said Kate Mittelstadt, Director of the IRONMAN Anti-Doping Program. “We applaud the decisions of the athlete support personnel to step forward, first to report Ms. Balogh’s use with disregard to their advice, and also for the conviction to include anti-doping awareness in their coaching. They each recognized the importance of honoring their obligations under the anti-doping rules and cooperated with IRONMAN’s investigation.”

As a result of this sanction, Ms. Balogh was and is ineligible to participate in any IRONMAN-affiliated competition or any events organized by any other WADA Code Signatory for a period of four years beginning July 11, 2016, the date her provisional suspension began. All of Ms. Balogh’s results from May 14, 2016 onward are disqualified. Ms. Balogh also did not accept a qualifying slot to the 2016 IRONMAN® World Championship.

@rhyspencer
Last edited by: rhys: Feb 21, 17 17:37
Quote Reply
Re: Texas AG ironman champ 4 yr ban announced [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
help me with something. you too, GMAN, because you're a critical thinker.

maybe i'm like david cassidy and i'm just losing it (as a matter of fact i am routinely accused of that in the LR). i was under the assumption that the ban was always backdated to the offense, if the offense was something occurring at a race.

she was popped at a race on may 14. her ban commenced on july 11. her maximum ban for the offense is 4yr, i think, so starting it on july 11 would exceed the 4yr. unless, that is, she was doping up until july 11 and that was provable (and proven).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kudos to her coach or whoever for reporting her. I feel sorry for the women she cheated out of podiums and Kona slots and world titles.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Texas AG ironman champ 4 yr ban announced [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The presser speaks to fighting case until heard case against her then withdrew and accepted sanction. Could be tied to that? As in subsequent testing or date she acquiesced charges and longer the better.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Texas AG ironman champ 4 yr ban announced [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Fantastic reporting in that piece. "2nd in the Kona Ironman".... My gosh she was 1215 overall, 214 in her gender, and 39 in her division. But yes this is just another sad sad story. Why can't people just play by the rules.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan, I'm with you on this one but if you look at the recent ostarine bans you'll see that both bans were from the date of the provisional suspension and not the date of the offense. So WTC is apparently using that as the ban effective date for whatever reason.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
help me with something. you too, GMAN, because you're a critical thinker.

maybe i'm like david cassidy and i'm just losing it (as a matter of fact i am routinely accused of that in the LR). i was under the assumption that the ban was always backdated to the offense, if the offense was something occurring at a race.

Dan, dementia really isn't joking material...making the joke on the day he announced his diagnosis just seems even more tasteless.

just my $.02

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Texas AG ironman champ 4 yr ban announced [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So according to the Jackson Hole article she broke her leg in 2011 and decided to go into Ironman. Sounds good. She got so good that she ran a 3:51 marathon at Kona. Very impressive.

That's not too shocking of an Ironman marathon when you recognize that she says she has a marathon PR of 3:20, but weird things start too happen if you look up other performances on marathonguide.com.

She ran three marathons in 2010, the year before she broke her leg, and they were all at 3:52 or slower and included fast, fast races such as Chicago and Tucson. The 3:21 was run in 2006, some eight years before the 2014 Kona. And her 2016 IM Texas marathon was a 3:57.

You don't put down a sub-4:00 marathon in an Ironman when you are a 3:50 marathoner to begin with.

She clearly started doping after she broke her leg.

I really hate these people.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas AG ironman champ 4 yr ban announced [Desert Tortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desert Tortoise wrote:
So according to the Jackson Hole article she broke her leg in 2011 and decided to go into Ironman. Sounds good. She got so good that she ran a 3:51 marathon at Kona. Very impressive.

That's not too shocking of an Ironman marathon when you recognize that she says she has a marathon PR of 3:20, but weird things start too happen if you look up other performances on marathonguide.com.

She ran three marathons in 2010, the year before she broke her leg, and they were all at 3:52 or slower and included fast, fast races such as Chicago and Tucson. The 3:21 was run in 2006, some eight years before the 2014 Kona. And her 2016 IM Texas marathon was a 3:57.

You don't put down a sub-4:00 marathon in an Ironman when you are a 3:50 marathoner to begin with.

She clearly started doping after she broke her leg.

I really hate these people.

I saw that too and looked at the rest of the results in her AG. There are a lot of quick women running in the Kona heat!!!!. Regardless, this is just pathetic, I don't know exactly what went down but I would have to assume she was confronted by her personnel and then continues to cheat. What does this say about her work ethic, what kind of lesson is this for her kids.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Texas AG ironman champ 4 yr ban announced [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes it is, actually. when you and your spouse have made the decision that yours is the house where your family members with dementia will spend their last years, you soon discover that the occasional humor isn't just allowed, it's a necessity.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'll have to agree to disagree...having watched my grandfather go through it, there was nothing funny about it.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's probably because you didn't invite him to live in your house, and to die in your house, with you as his primary (or only) caregiver. i have had that pleasure. and it was a pleasure. an honor. and it's an honor we maintain in our household. and will continue to do so until we are ourselves so stricken.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Want to hear a coincidence? There is a picture of Holly Hannock Balogh on Facebook.

She is holding the 3rd Place Female 40-44 award for Ironman Canada 2014. In 2015 my wife received the same 40-44 award because Julie Miller cheated and claimed 1st. I published the investigation that got Julie Miller DQ'd.

Ironically, both my wife and I are in this picture. My wife on stage collecting a 35-39 award and me taking a photo.

Small world!

http://i68.tinypic.com/mhw0wn.jpg

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: JayPeeWhy: Feb 21, 17 21:21
Quote Reply
Re: Texas AG ironman champ 4 yr ban announced [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Kudos to her coach or whoever for reporting her. I feel sorry for the women she cheated out of podiums and Kona slots and world titles.

Wanna know something funny? IM Texas 2016 had this ridiculous fiasco at the finish, with the storm causing some of the leading women in that AG to stop while others continued running.

My mom was running through the field and ended up 2nd in that AG at the finish (both actual and corrected times) but was 5th back at the earlier run mat where they decided a "virtual finish" would be backdated to. All four women "ahead" took their slots, but WTC offered her an extra slot on appeal because even the other women agreed that she beat them. She may not have had the chance to stand on the AG podium, but at least she fulfilled her Kona dream.

Now imagine if Balogh hadn't doped...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Texas AG ironman champ 4 yr ban announced [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is crazy. So the course-cutter cheated the doper out of her award. Who would have thunk it.
And Holly, much like Julie Miller seemed to be the toast of her small town. Getting all kinds of PR in Jackson Hole. The mother, career gal, athlete who overcomes much to make it to Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas AG ironman champ 4 yr ban announced [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
This is crazy. So the course-cutter cheated the doper out of her award. Who would have thunk it.
And Holly, much like Julie Miller seemed to be the toast of her small town. Getting all kinds of PR in Jackson Hole. The mother, career gal, athlete who overcomes much to make it to Kona.

Different years.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Texas AG ironman champ 4 yr ban announced [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:

I was in the audience at IMC Whistler 2014 when all these women go their "awards". I did not realize at the time that we were viewing the ultimate gallery of age group rogues...and to think we were worrying about a certain pro man getting stopped at the border right after that race for his "medical supplies"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes your choice is to laugh or cry. I bet you have done both. Cheers

Slowman wrote:
that's probably because you didn't invite him to live in your house, and to die in your house, with you as his primary (or only) caregiver. i have had that pleasure. and it was a pleasure. an honor. and it's an honor we maintain in our household. and will continue to do so until we are ourselves so stricken.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been telling people for years and people have been ignoring me for years. I'm not at all surprised that this happened at IM Texas. Up until just a few months ago there was a Low T type clinic across the street from transition. I pass by there nearly daily and there was rarely a time when there was NOT an Mdot sticker parked in front.

Granted, she likely didn't "dope" here but its just an example. Doping is alive and well in the age group ranks. The sooner it's acknowledged the sooner something can be done about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas AG ironman champ 4 yr ban announced [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I've been telling people for years and people have been ignoring me for years. I'm not at all surprised that this happened at IM Texas. Up until just a few months ago there was a Low T type clinic across the street from transition. I pass by there nearly daily and there was rarely a time when there was NOT an Mdot sticker parked in front.

Granted, she likely didn't "dope" here but its just an example. Doping is alive and well in the age group ranks. The sooner it's acknowledged the sooner something can be done about it.

this

there seem to be too many "freaks" in the AG rankings.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this case and Moats show it is acknowledged. WTC will chase down and test if they are given the lead to do so. Caveat the athlete must be in the Kona pool. It's at that point AGers sign off to be in the testing pool. For cycling getting a uci license does that. And testers have shown up at AG doorsteps at 6am here in canada. And if you win a national title you are getting tested as well typically.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The "refreshing" news with this incident, if that's what you can call it, is that ounce cornered and caught, she accepted it all. Saves us all from the "Deny, Deny Deny" circus that usually follows with all kinds of he-said-she-said stories, that get's dragged out for years with claims and counter-claims and appeals.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Texas AG ironman champ 4 yr ban announced [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Concur. I was wondering what "former athlete support personnel" meant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree...having watched my grandfather go through it, there was nothing funny about it.

I'm sorry about your grandfather, but if the issue surrounding someone's personal misfortune constituted a valid reason for eliminating all humor on that topic then there would be nothing - absolutely nothing - that people could joke about. And the world would be worse off for it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next