Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [Alfredo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alfredo wrote:
Many thanks for coming on Ben, really cool on your part.

Will you be going back to Island House and 70.3 Worlds this year?

Why did you pick Texas over Oceanside? Any particular reason or it came down to travel logistics?

All the best this 2018!!

I am planning on racing Worlds and then if Island House invites me back I am in! Both are amazing races.

It was a lot of things. Oceanside is a race I want to do someday, but Texas provided a lot of opportunity. Plus, it had a super fast course and everyone knows PRs are the most important thing ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [BenKanute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, we could only track the race through the Ironman app. That being said, that was one heck of a great race all the way around. Congratulations on the win and we wish you continued success. You are going to be fun to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I just want to know if you can dunk a basketball.

You think a pro triathlete has any sort of vertical? Haha I have been working on plyos like jump roping and just jumping and my Physio has laughed at my ability to jump...i try so hard and just get nowhere...so that's a no haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you speak to your experience training with run power? Im curious what you might have learned and how it has changed how you train and race.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [tritontoby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritontoby wrote:
Can you speak to your experience training with run power? Im curious what you might have learned and how it has changed how you train and race.

So just like bike power, Jim does a majority of the analyzing. However, the post race analysis from pacing and power stand point is awesome no matter the distance. We also concentrate a lot on Leg Spring Stiffness which stryd tracks. In short, for a 70.3, I use it as a governor so I don't go out too hard. It is easy for me to hop off the bike and go "steady" but look down and see I see I am 20 watts too high. The bike speed messes with your proprioception, and the effort and speed feels easy and slow and it will catch up with you later. In particular, the stryd was very useful on a hilly course where run pace is not as relevant like St. George and Chatta.

Jim can also attest to the fact that we now have enough data to construct some workouts on, and that has been useful to me. This may be off, but I like to think of it as mph vs power on the bike. We all want to go fast, but power is closely related to effort, and effort is easier to wrap my brain around. Same way on the run, 5 min miles seem tough mentally, but 370w on the run seems easier. It's the effort that is being measured, and I know I can give a good effort...if that all makes sense...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woa - you are Ben Kanute.

Nothing to add other than how awesome is triathlon as a sport haha you dont see Lebron, Tiger Woods, Messy, or any other sports professional posting on forums.

Good on ya! congrats on your win by the way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BenKanute wrote:
synthetic wrote:
What is long term out look, back on ITU circuit to shoot for Tokyo 2020?

I am enjoying racing everything from super sprint to half ironman races. A major goal is to race in Tokyo on the relay and win a medal, but I also want to win the half ironman championships as well.

Yes, but what about the non relay classic triathlon in the Olympics? Keep us updated with what local San Diego races you do. That was awesome when you did the 4th of July double 5k race then 1 Mike swim in Coronado
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BenKanute wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

You think a pro triathlete has any sort of vertical? Haha I have been working on plyos like jump roping and just jumping and my Physio has laughed at my ability to jump...i try so hard and just get nowhere...so that's a no haha

True story, when Ben started with me about 18 months ago, he couldn't jump worth a damn. He did a bunch of jumping tests at the OTC in Colorado Springs. We made it a priority, and one year later he improved an incredible 25% in his jumping test there. I believe it is key to his continued run development.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
BenKanute wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

True story, when Ben started with me about 18 months ago, he couldn't jump worth a damn. He did a bunch of jumping tests at the OTC in Colorado Springs. We made it a priority, and one year later he improved an incredible 25% in his jumping test there. I believe it is key to his continued run development.

noted: work on my vertical and go hard in the paint
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always, always go hard in the paint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BenKanute wrote:
dktxracer wrote:
How did the colder weather affect your race, if at all?

It was just a bit different than expected. Mainly it was running off the bike and having numb feet. I tried not to think too much about it though since it wasn't too brutal. Just a bit chilly by the finish.

haha!! i was two miles into the run before feeling in my feet started coming back. i was getting very concerned something was wrong!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great ST article and thanks for this posting! Can't wait to see how the next few years shake out for you - I predict some really amazing stuff to come!

Curious what a training week looks like for you - maybe the March 12 at 17:05 or March 26 at 18:05. A general breakdown of time spent on swim, bike, run, strength and any key sessions you had would be really insightful!
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [trbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim called Ben's 1500 seed of 3:58, and he nailed it today: 3:58.81 !

That is called a good coach/athlete combo :)
Last edited by: synthetic: Apr 14, 18 14:26
Quote Reply

Prev Next