Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Testosterone Pellets
Quote | Reply
In the last few weeks I've had 3 people tell me they have testosterone pellets under their skin given by their naturopath.

One has an autoimmune disease and this is one of the treatments, and the other two are women who are low normal for T in their late 40's. I know of 2 other women who have used them in the past (not sure about now) and are top 10 Ironman age group finishers. All are very nice people and say they feel so much better on these pellets and they don't want to podium or qualify for worlds.

I don't want to take away their health or happiness but what do you do with this information? Lock it away and be thankful they aren't in your age group? I like them all and this isn't a judgement on their character. I appreciate they feel healthier on these pellets, but to the best of my knowledge you can't race while using testosterone pellets. Also, if these are the next best thing why don't medical doctors prescribe them?
Last edited by: TriMom95: May 21, 19 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone Pellets [TriMom95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I gather it's just a way to dose long term with testosterone.

It's just as unethical as taking any other PED and racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMom95 wrote:
In the last few weeks I've had 3 people tell me they have testosterone pellets under their skin given by their naturopath.

One has an autoimmune disease and this is one of the treatments, and the other two are women who are low normal for T in their late 40's. I know of 2 other women who have used them in the past (not sure about now) and are top 10 Ironman age group finishers. All are very nice people and say they feel so much better on these pellets and they don't want to podium or qualify for worlds.

I don't want to take away their health or happiness but what do you do with this information? Lock it away and be thankful they aren't in your age group? I like them all and this isn't a judgement on their character. I appreciate they feel healthier on these pellets, but to the best of my knowledge you can't race while using testosterone pellets. Also, if these are the next best thing why don't medical doctors prescribe them?

Regardless of when they took them that doesn't mean they haven't cheated. Enhancements to fitness and endurance have a lasting effect. You can't just take a substance that it is banned inside competition and compete clean. Well you can, but you are still cheating. Maybe they won't get an OOC test but that doesn't excuse their behavior.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: May 21, 19 22:03
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone Pellets [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what would you do?? I'm wondering how common this is? I agree 100%. I told them it's illegal. They all said "I am not looking to podium". Then what?

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
TriMom95 wrote:

Regardless of when they took them that doesn't me they haven't cheated. Enhancements to fitness and endurance have a last effect. You can't just take a substance that it is banned inside competition and compete clean. Well you can, but you are still cheating. Maybe they won't get an OOC test but that doesn't excuse their behavior.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Endocrine Society advises against the use of testosterone therapy in healthy women. Testosterone pellets ruined my nephews life and put my partners kids through college. I keep a copy of this in every exam room. I'll just leave it at that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Naturopathy has no scientific evidence based methods. Most medical professionals consider them quacks or snake oil salesman.

Surely a Naturopath is not allowed to prescribe testosterone.

Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone Pellets [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are and they do.

Ironnerd wrote:
Naturopathy has no scientific evidence based methods. Most medical professionals consider them quacks or snake oil salesman.

Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone Pellets [TriA6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the article. This makes me think the idea of a "recreational athlete category" is warranted. These are good people who mean no harm and don't understand how they are breaking the rules. (Or don't want to understand because they feel better with the pellets.) I'm going to share the article with a few but I suspect they will dismiss it.

TriA6 wrote:
The Endocrine Society advises against the use of testosterone therapy in healthy women. Testosterone pellets ruined my nephews life and put my partners kids through college. I keep a copy of this in every exam room. I'll just leave it at that.
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone Pellets [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:

This.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Under the rules, it's very simple... they are free to take whatever therapy they want, they just can't race. And honestly, if they do, and they truly 'don't care' about their placing, they should have themselves removed from the results. If it makes them feel great and they'd rather continue the therapy than race, that's the choice they need to make.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should go here: https://www.usada.org/athletes/playclean/
Report them. Give as many details as possible.
USADA may investigate. I know USADA has punted at least 1x on someone using T pellets even when given documentation such as a FB post, pics of them being implanted etc, doc they used.

Contact USAT triathlon and let them know, although they really don't care about AG doping.

We can each only do our part to help sport stay clean

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMom95 wrote:
and the other two are women who are low normal for T in their late 40's.

Another term for "low normal" is "normal."

There is no FDA-approved use of testosterone for women.

And there's the irony of a "naturopath" promoting use of powerful pharmaceutical drugs.
Last edited by: trail: May 21, 19 20:56
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone Pellets [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, thank you Brian for your sage advice

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Desert Dude said in regards to protocol. I guess these women may not be as much of a concern to some, but the top 10 Ironman age-group finishers you mentioned as well would surely piss off a lot more people.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMom95 wrote:
So what would you do?? I'm wondering how common this is? I agree 100%. I told them it's illegal. They all said "I am not looking to podium". Then what?
What would I do? I sure wouldn't tell them it's illegal - it's almost certainly not.

If they are MOP/BOP I'd ignore it.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's exogenous, so it's doping. Regardless of their aspirations.

Top 10 AG in an Ironman is far from MOP, let alone BOP! So I can't understand anyone feeling they should get a 'pass'.

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: May 22, 19 2:28
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone Pellets [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
It's exogenous, so it's doping. Regardless of their aspirations.

Top 10 AG in an Ironman is far from MOP, let alone BOP! So I can't understand anyone feeling they should get a 'pass'.

The op posted that the top 10 AG finishers used it in the past but she doesn't know if they are using it now. So assuming we aren't hypothesizing on someone's potential use when we have no clue, how is this an issue? Unless you are saying that a person who uses a banned substance should be stricken for life?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
report them to the tip line if they are actively racing any triathlons, bike races, running or track and field, or Masters swim events.

TriMom95 wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this will be an issue that will be getting harder and harder to deal with. I am a 60 year old male. I have had two of three tests for testosterone because its so low. (49 and 45). I have no desire to take anything to boost it. I have no other symptoms. I am signed up for a 100 miler that my goal is 34 hours (36 hour cutoff)…..If for some reason my Dr thinks I need to do some therepy, you really think I am going to go through all the hassle to get a TUE? Especially since temporary? I also have a 40k where I finished I think 98th out of 138.
My point is this, people in this situation will not be going through all the hassle to get a tue., So what do you do with them? I agree its technically doping. I agree it should not be someonethats on the podium. But this issue is going to be coming up more and more...………………...again, I plan on not taking anything in my case. But I could care less if someone else did.
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone Pellets [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
I think this will be an issue that will be getting harder and harder to deal with. I am a 60 year old male. I have had two of three tests for testosterone because its so low. (49 and 45). I have no desire to take anything to boost it. I have no other symptoms. I am signed up for a 100 miler that my goal is 34 hours (36 hour cutoff)…..If for some reason my Dr thinks I need to do some therepy, you really think I am going to go through all the hassle to get a TUE? Especially since temporary? I also have a 40k where I finished I think 98th out of 138.
My point is this, people in this situation will not be going through all the hassle to get a tue., So what do you do with them? I agree its technically doping. I agree it should not be someonethats on the podium. But this issue is going to be coming up more and more...………………...again, I plan on not taking anything in my case. But I could care less if someone else did.

+1 Olympic level controls are not realistic for everyday people. I'm not advocating a free-for-all system but the level of restriction now will lead to people bending the rules. It's easy to say that they are all dopers but the actual answer is much more nuanced as most seek no true athletic advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should report them to USADA.

https://www.usada.org/athletes/playclean/

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone Pellets [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:

What would I do? I sure wouldn't tell them it's illegal - it's almost certainly not.

If they are MOP/BOP I'd ignore it.

Illegal in the sense of violating the WADA code, not criminal law, is the implied use of the word here.

WADA makes no distinction about competitiveness or MOP/BOP, excepting the RCTUE. The RCTUE sounds like exactly the right choice in this case. If defines what "recreational" means, rather than allowing people to just arbitrarily decide they're "MOP" so they don't need to follow the rules. If they don't have one, they're doping. (assuming they're actively racing in USAT-or-IM sanctioned races).
Last edited by: trail: May 22, 19 6:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMom95 wrote:

To be honest the thing you do with this info is just worry about yourself. They aren’t winning the world championship. They’re treating a disease and triathlon is their hobby. Relax.
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone Pellets [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:

+1 Olympic level controls are not realistic for everyday people. I'm not advocating a free-for-all system but the level of restriction now will lead to people bending the rules. It's easy to say that they are all dopers but the actual answer is much more nuanced as most seek no true athletic advantage.

Yet the nuance is they are still doping. Do I agree there may be a need for a dual license system, competitive & non competitive categories where the latter is less restrictive? Yeah I'd be up for that.

Until then it's doping. There is no black and white. When you register for your license you agree to stay clean. Period.

Look, even the nicest of people dope. Even if they are finishing 120 out of 125, they still shoplifted results from someone that rightfully deserve to be a spot higher. Stealing is wrong and doping is stealing rightful finishes from other people.

Then, at least to me, the question to those that know someone who is taking PEDs is what is your moral character? Do you allow stealing to continue or do you do something to potentially stop theft?

That's the real nuance.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: May 22, 19 6:11
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone Pellets [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree its balck and white,but reality is its not going to stop. Example, someone pays what now ? 800 plus for entrance to IM. Then reserves room for week, Te
hey are shooting for a 13hr finish, then someone on their Tri group informs them they are doping. You think its realistic they will drop from the race and lose all that, or go through all the headache for a tue when probably in their case the race director does not even care? ………….then all the people in their tri group will kick them out and call them a doper? I doubt it
Quote Reply

Prev Next