Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Testosterone -- my perspective [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually it is legal to take testosterone for low levels provided that governing bodies are forewarned with medical evidence and thereby exempted. Low testosterone levels has been labeled a disease process. Low levels have been associated with a symptom complex, and those often debilitating, and sometimes deadly (heart disease) effects actually gets better with treatment.

A hematocrit of 39 or 40 is not associated with a disease process and would not qualify for treatment by a physician. The only reason to take epo would be for athletic superiority and that is cheating.

people who suffer from low T levels and want/need to take them to ameliorate symptoms should not be ban from sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
gpdtx wrote:
How on earth is a testosterone level of 300-400 doping. I treat people with weight gain, impotence, depression, and incredibly low testosterone level for their age. I check levels to make sure they never get above PHYSIOLOGIC range. Lance and others were going for super human ranges. Physiologic dosing is just that: NORMAL levels.

Well the obvious answer is that it's doping because the rules say that it is doping.

But aside from the rules, this sort of argument necessarily must raise the question of what is normal, who decides it, and why should we take the position that every athlete is allowed to manipulate themselves into what has been defined as a normal range?

If the population of Cat 1 racers in the US has an average Hct of 47 and mine is 39, does that mean I should be able to do 'physiologic dosing' (your words) of EPO to raise mine to what is 'normal' for that population? I'm 50+ now, so shouldn't I be able to raise mine to be on a level field with the younger guys?

yes, you'll come back and make the argument that you're treating abnormally low levels, blah blah blah. But the overall question remains, and there is no answer that satisfactorily justifies the doping.

----

But then why are inhalers and cortisone injections allowed?

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not clear if you're having a problem with what I said or with what was said by the poster I quoted.

As was said by others after me (and probably before, as well ... I haven't read everything in the thread), who's to say what's normal when you're talking about aging athletes? The way I see it, normal is what you have at any given moment without any boosting. That's your normal. Deal with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone -- my perspective [gpdtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gpdtx wrote:
Actually it is legal to take testosterone for low levels provided that governing bodies are forewarned with medical evidence and thereby exempted. Low testosterone levels has been labeled a disease process. Low levels have been associated with a symptom complex, and those often debilitating, and sometimes deadly (heart disease) effects actually gets better with treatment.

A hematocrit of 39 or 40 is not associated with a disease process and would not qualify for treatment by a physician. The only reason to take epo would be for athletic superiority and that is cheating.

people who suffer from low T levels and want/need to take them to ameliorate symptoms should not be ban from sports.

---

I agree but sadly it seems this whole "doping" madnees is starting to get out of hand.It would be a tragedy if people now have to choose between treatment for a condition and the ability to participate in a recreational sport (notice I did say "participate" and not race)

---
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone -- my perspective [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobby11 wrote:
I'm not clear if you're having a problem with what I said or with what was said by the poster I quoted.

As was said by others after me (and probably before, as well ... I haven't read everything in the thread), who's to say what's normal when you're talking about aging athletes? The way I see it, normal is what you have at any given moment without any boosting. That's your normal. Deal with it.

----

So asthmatics should just deal with it then as well and people with joint injuries should not be able to have cortisone shots to enhance their abilities at that time?

There are too many condtradictions..

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bobby11 wrote:

agreeing with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gpdtx wrote:
Theories abound as to why some people are low in T. One theory is that years of meat and dairy consumption loaded with steroids suppress natural testosterone release. In fact vegans, which I am, tend to have higher levels. Of course, there are many meat eaters with normal T levels.

I have read a lot about this as well.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone -- my perspective [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
I agree but sadly it seems this whole "doping" madnees is starting to get out of hand.It would be a tragedy if people now have to choose between treatment for a condition and the ability to participate in a recreational sport (notice I did say "participate" and not race)

no one says you can't participate in anything you want. But if you are racing under a federation with doping rules, then you are expected to follow them or don't race.

As has been said over and over and over ... if you want to get a prescription for "low T" then fine, get the TUE from the federation. But good luck to you in getting that.

The bigger question that still goes unanswered by the "anti-aging" folks (who also to fail to acknowledge the conflict of interest that they make their livelihood off this) ... is who is to answer the question of what is normal, and why should we even take the position that everyone is allowed to manipulate themselves into a normal range ... in the context of competition?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gpdtx wrote:

Your attitude is sickening and ignorant. Good luck with anyone having a non-zero testosterone level getting a TUE. Aging is not a disease process.

I don't care is someone has no naturally occurring testosterone: if he takes exogenous testosterone, he shouldn't be allowed to compete. Period. Participate without competing, maybe, but not eligible for any results/prizes/accolades.

I'm 54, and I would like to think that the guys I compete against are playing the cards they were dealt.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone -- my perspective [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 54, and I would like to think that the guys I compete against are playing the cards they were dealt.
-----------------------------------
Ken L. /

You would like to think that, but like i have been saying for about 10 years now, you guys have no idea how many AG'ers are doping. And this doc here is a prime example of how it all gets justified, in their minds and their docs. He has no clue what we are talking about here, to him fair play is not about the natural process in humans. He is right in that if people would be helped by drugs to live a better life, they should take them if they choose. But he is dead wrong that they should be allowed to compete in sport. They can participate all they want, but competition should be a sacred arena where normally aged humans compete for top honors. He uses the old and tired slippery slope argument too, what about asthma and some other ailments that are routinely medicated without any problems? It's easy, we make up rules to govern the sport and competitors and follow them. If in the future sometime T is determined to be in that category, then fine. But it is not as of yet, unless you are "REALLY" low. He mentioned that you can get a TUE, but neglects to say how hard it is, he probably does not even know himself. Just prescribes it to his patients, tells them it is like taking asthma medication(It is not) and they go about their merry way to races to thinking everything is hunky dory.

It was bad 10 years ago here in LA, i knew of docs doing what this guy is doing for just about everyone that walked through the door, I can only imagine how much worse it has gotten since then. And it is really hard to blame most of the athletes when there are docs like this guy justifying it to them that it is ok, when it clearly is not..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if they were dealt a bad knee? Or dealt asthma? What if they have surgery to relieve a bulging disc that then makes them run faster? You are also completely wrong that you need a level of zero to get a TUE.

Let me also tell you that testosterone, ESPECIALLY at the doses prescribed, would make absolutely no difference to performance. People that dope take MUCH higher doses. In the thousands of mg compared to the 30-60 mg commonly used with low levels. My patients that take T do not become Lance Armstrong. They don't go from BOP to FOP. To be worried about the guy next to you taking a small physiologic dose of testosterone is completely ignorant. Worry about your own performance and not the unfortunate disease that may affect others.
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone -- my perspective [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was bad 10 years ago here in LA, i knew of docs doing what this guy is doing for just about everyone that walked through the door, I can only imagine how much worse it has gotten since then. And it is really hard to blame most of the athletes when there are docs like this guy justifying it to them that it is ok, when it clearly is not..

Not to mention all the ads for Androgel and all those kinds of products that make it sound like if you're a little tired or maybe you didn't get a boner this morning when you woke up then you may have a "treatable condition" called "low T." Uh ... how 'bout you might just bet getting older! DEAL WITH IT! ON YOUR OWN! WITHOUT A PRESCRIPTION AND WITHOUT SOME "DOC" WHO'S JUST OUT TO LINE HIS POCKETS WITH A KICKBACK FROM THE PHARMA COMPANY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are probably right. I'm sure the 40+ crowd only uses it for the right reasons.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The strangest thing is your belief that we in any way get kick back for treating people with meds. It is so unbelievably illegal to take any kick back in any form. I can't even get a pen from a pharmacy company. I get nothing for prescribing a med. Furthermore, people don't come to me for low testosterone. They come to me because they are sick. There are multitude of reasons, the main being diet. My treatment consists of diet intervention, exercise programs, vitamin supplementation, treatment for high cholesterol and hypertension and diabetes. If they have an abnormally low testosterone and lack of libido, impotence, high waist to hip ratio, high lipids, and/or depression I give them testosterone to bring them to normal levels BECAUSE SCIENCE SHOWS THIS IS EFFICACIOUS. My job is to make people healthy and fixing low testosterone levels is part of that process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
gpdtx wrote:

Your attitude is sickening and ignorant. Good luck with anyone having a non-zero testosterone level getting a TUE. Aging is not a disease process.

I don't care is someone has no naturally occurring testosterone: if he takes exogenous testosterone, he shouldn't be allowed to compete. Period. Participate without competing, maybe, but not eligible for any results/prizes/accolades.

Except many are ALREADY not playing the cards they were dealt and doing so legally. The asthmatics, the joint folks, the low vitamin D folks, the depressed folks, the heart diseased folks, the diabetic folks. All these folks are allowed to change their "dealt cards" and improve their abilities - albeit, the improvement is simply a leveling of the playing field, and in the case of diabetics, they are constantly just trying to reach that level playing field - they're almost always still disadvantaged. You've got a doctor here saying that bringing someone to a heart-healthy situation without increasing his T over the norm (and honestly just barely TO the norm) will not give him superhuman abilities but *you* (in general) seem Stuck on the illegality of T regardless of the logic. I recently got tested and I'm at 0 T. Zippo. My quality of life has sucked for a while now but I'm trying to figure a way out if it without hormone supplementation. HOWEVER, I wouldn't think twice about HRT if that became the choice I had to make because triathlon is just a SPORT, a HOBBY and FUN and my quality of life is so much more than that.

It seems you guys just cannot reason at all and are stuck at the "illegal" and can't see the forest you're in. Can you explain to me how, when 200 ng/mL is the low end of normal, supplementing with T to reach the absolute bottom of normal is giving someone an advantage over someone else in the normal range of T? The logic simply Does Not Follow. Unless the only logic you can follow is "it's illegal".

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone -- my perspective [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems you guys just cannot reason at all and are stuck at the "illegal" and can't see the forest you're in.

You ran down a lengthy list of medical conditions that are not necessarily a natural part of the aging process whereas declining T levels are a natural part of the aging process. Most of the things you mentioned are things a few people here and there are dealt, not things that are dealt to every male on the planet.

But hey ... thanks for playing.
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone -- my perspective [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
You are probably right. I'm sure the 40+ crowd only uses it for the right reasons.

This guy gets tired when training 30 hours a week? Not natural. He defnitely should take some drugs so he can easily put in thoae hours like all the rest of us!

Most doctors I know are very concerned with the negative side effects of testoserone and avoid prescribing it specifically because the they feel the risks usually outweigh the rewards. They say the people most often asking for it have poor health because they have not taken care of themselves and are looking for a fix that requires no work.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone -- my perspective [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
klehner wrote:
gpdtx wrote:

Except many are ALREADY not playing the cards they were dealt and doing so legally. The asthmatics, the joint folks, the low vitamin D folks, the depressed folks, the heart diseased folks, the diabetic folks. All these folks are allowed to change their "dealt cards" and improve their abilities - albeit, the improvement is simply a leveling of the playing field, and in the case of diabetics, they are constantly just trying to reach that level playing field - they're almost always still disadvantaged. You've got a doctor here saying that bringing someone to a heart-healthy situation without increasing his T over the norm (and honestly just barely TO the norm) will not give him superhuman abilities but *you* (in general) seem Stuck on the illegality of T regardless of the logic. I recently got tested and I'm at 0 T. Zippo. My quality of life has sucked for a while now but I'm trying to figure a way out if it without hormone supplementation. HOWEVER, I wouldn't think twice about HRT if that became the choice I had to make because triathlon is just a SPORT, a HOBBY and FUN and my quality of life is so much more than that.

It seems you guys just cannot reason at all and are stuck at the "illegal" and can't see the forest you're in. Can you explain to me how, when 200 ng/mL is the low end of normal, supplementing with T to reach the absolute bottom of normal is giving someone an advantage over someone else in the normal range of T? The logic simply Does Not Follow. Unless the only logic you can follow is "it's illegal".

Asthmatics take medicine so they don't die while exercising. "Joint folks" get treatment to allow them to participate at all. All those examples you cite take treatment to allow them to participate. T supplementation allows guys to compete *at a higher level*. Do you see the difference? There is a reason by inhaled asthma medication is allowed, but T supplementation is not.

You don't know what "the norm" is for any given individual, nor does anyone else. There are ranges of "normal." You don't know what the minimum is for a given individual or age group. Following your logic, people should be allowed to supplement with EPO to bring their hematocrit up to "the norm."

I'm not stuck on the "illegal:" I'm stuck on the "unfair."

I don't take supplements, vitamins, or anything other than "food" (excepting my infinIT mix in races). No medicines, no chemicals, no drugs. I sweat like a pig, thereby restricting my ability to do longer distance races. Perhaps I should supplement with glycerol to bring my ability to retain water up to "the norm." You okay with that? It's against the rules, but heck, I'm only bringing myself up to the absolute bottom of normal for sweat rate, so I should be good to go.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone -- my perspective [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out his results on athlinks.com. Methinks he is doing his training wrong. Or he counts sleeping as training hours, or something.

But hey, he's buff and a Christian, so it's all good.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I refrained from judging his truthfulness regarding training hours...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gpdtx wrote:
The strangest thing is your belief that we in any way get kick back for treating people with meds. It is so unbelievably illegal to take any kick back in any form. I can't even get a pen from a pharmacy company. I get nothing for prescribing a med. Furthermore, people don't come to me for low testosterone. They come to me because they are sick. There are multitude of reasons, the main being diet. My treatment consists of diet intervention, exercise programs, vitamin supplementation, treatment for high cholesterol and hypertension and diabetes. If they have an abnormally low testosterone and lack of libido, impotence, high waist to hip ratio, high lipids, and/or depression I give them testosterone to bring them to normal levels BECAUSE SCIENCE SHOWS THIS IS EFFICACIOUS. My job is to make people healthy and fixing low testosterone levels is part of that process.

Funny you didn't mention "surgery" as one reason people come to see you....I thought you were a surgeon.

Huh.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Testosterone -- my perspective [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a surgeon and do plenty of surgery too. My specialty is weight loss both surgical and medical
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gpdtx wrote:

It's not getting a "kickback". It's that a whole industry has sprung up around the idea of aging-as-a-disease. So that means people like you are staking their livelihoods on convincing people of that.

From what I've seen and read many doctors involved in this have absolutely no training in endocrinology. They just cite some studies that fit their view, while developing their "anti aging" clinics and playing on fear of aging and death.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:
klehner wrote:
gpdtx wrote:

Asthmatics take medicine so they don't die while exercising. "Joint folks" get treatment to allow them to participate at all. All those examples you cite take treatment to allow them to participate. T supplementation allows guys to compete *at a higher level*. Do you see the difference? There is a reason by inhaled asthma medication is allowed, but T supplementation is not.

See, that's what I think is wrong AND what the docs have also stated. T does not let the guys complete at a higher level WHEN dosed correctly - just like with albuterol. I am allowed my puffer before during and after races (and have used it before and after but never during) but I'm not legally allowed to nebulize myself with the SAME medication. So we already have an example of a med that is allowed at low levels (inhaler) but not high (nebulizer). The same situation exists with T. I see the difference but i'm not arguing to allow high levels of T (i.e. nebulizer in the asthma example) but simply leveling (inhaler in the asthma example) levels for overall quality of life and heart disease issues.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was somewhere around 300th overall in my first IM event. If I find out that the guy who was 299th was on TRT, god help that fucker!!!
;)

Actually, I have to agree with the doc. After being involved in many sports and knowing lots of 'dopers', I don't believe that TRT doses of testosterone would give anyone any real advantage over me. And in some cases, could even give them a disadvantage.
Cheating? Maybe, because the rules say so. Fair enough. But I ain't gonna lose any sleep over it, because I know its not why someone will beat me....
Quote Reply

Prev Next