Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Terrible Nevada Tragedy - 5 Cyclists Killed
Quote | Reply
From Reno Gazette Journal 12/10/2020

5 bicyclists killed, 4 injured after truck hits group on 'retirement ride' in Nevada

LAS VEGAS – On a highway ride to celebrate a cyclist's retirement, five bicyclists were killed and four others were injured in a crash involving a truck, according to authorities.
The Thursday morning crash happened on U.S. 95 south of Boulder City, according to Nevada Highway Patrol spokesman Jason Buratczuk.
A box truck struck a group of about 20 bicyclists. The vehicle remains on scene as authorities investigate what caused the crash.
"It doesn't appear to be impairment," Buratczuk said. "It appears to be a tragic accident."
Of the four bicyclists injured, one of the riders was flown to a hospital in a helicopter in critical condition.
It appeared the bicyclists were part of an organized ride, Buratczuk said. They had a chase vehicle with them with flashers.
Clay Weeks, an employee at the Pro Cyclery bike shop, knew many of the bicyclists involved in the tragic crash.
"They were on a retirement ride for one of the community cyclists," Weeks said. "We've talked to a couple people who were on the ride. Obviously everybody is super upset and distraught. It's pretty horrific that something like this would happen. There's really no words."
The tragedy startled Southern Nevada's close-knit bicycling community.
"We see everybody on all these rides on a regular basis," Weeks said. "We all ride together."
Weeks is familiar with the stretch of road near Searchlight where the crash unfolded. On Thursday, he struggled to understand how a crash could happen there.
"That shoulder on the side of that highway is wide enough to fit three cars," Weeks said. "We don't really know how somebody managed to get that far off the road. These were all very very experienced cyclists. It's not like they accidentally rode off and into the road. These are people who ride 10,000 miles a year. Some race professionally. How did something like this mistakenly happen?"
Quote Reply
Re: Terrible Nevada Tragedy - 5 Cyclists Killed [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:
"It appears to be a tragic accident."

We really need to force a new vocabulary on incidents like this. This wasn't an accident, it was negligence.
Last edited by: jhammond: Dec 10, 20 15:00
Quote Reply
Re: Terrible Nevada Tragedy - 5 Cyclists Killed [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
trimule wrote:

We really need to force a new vocabulary on incidents like this. This wasn't an accident, it was negligence.

Exactly this.
Unless the driver was genuinely medically incapacitated through an unknown problem like a heart attack or stroke or seizure, then it's negligent and wreckless.
There needs to be more responsibility for driving a multiple-tonne piece of metal at 50 or 60 mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not only was the shoulder wide, the cyclists had a safety chase vehicle. The safety vehicle was taken out too, and the driver injured.

I had multiple teammates on the ride, one dead. So this one hits home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed!

If you're on Twitter, search for "#crashnotaccident" and you'll find a growing movement to pressure media to change the way they report collisions. The Associated Press is already onboard and has updated their writing style guidelines:

We also need to pressure writers to stop neglecting agency, e.g. the truck did not hit the cyclists, the truck driver did.

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Last edited by: Big_Foot: Dec 10, 20 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: Terrible Nevada Tragedy - 5 Cyclists Killed [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Not only was the shoulder wide, the cyclists had a safety chase vehicle. The safety vehicle was taken out too, and the driver injured.

Deepest condolences. Sadly, many of us have been in a similar situation and can empathize.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deepest condolences from myself and the TriScottsdale Tri Club for you, your teammates, and their families. If we can help, please reach out.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Terrible Nevada Tragedy - 5 Cyclists Killed [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
jhammond wrote:
trimule wrote:

Exactly this.
Unless the driver was genuinely medically incapacitated through an unknown problem like a heart attack or stroke or seizure, then it's negligent and wreckless.
There needs to be more responsibility for driving a multiple-tonne piece of metal at 50 or 60 mph.

Couldn't agree more!

When the investigation is over, I would not be surprised this is exactly that: negligence and reckless endangerment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh-I knew Erin Ray when I worked at Life Time Athletic. She was an enthusiastic triathlete who will be missed.

My question that I have yet to find an answer to is were they riding on the shoulder or were they using one of the two lanes in the road? The speed limit on that part of I-95 is 75 mph and riding at 15-20 mph is incredibly dangerous, even with a safety vehicle.

The five who were killed were riding behind the SAG vehicle and the box truck struck them first and the SAG vehicle second, before hitting the bicycles in front third. This is a horrible tragedy and my condolences go out to the families of all involved.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Last edited by: SallyShortyPnts: Dec 11, 20 5:46
Quote Reply
Re: Terrible Nevada Tragedy - 5 Cyclists Killed [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
My question that I have yet to find an answer to is where they riding on the shoulder or were they using one of the two lanes in the road? The speed limit on that part of I-95 is 75 mph and riding at 15-20 mph is incredibly dangerous, even with a safety vehicle.

It appears that they were on the quite wide shoulder.
But yes, riding adjacent to 75mph traffic without a separating barrier is something I wouldn't want to do.

Once did it down in San Diego, going by Camp Pendleton on the 5. Never again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

So sorry Trail.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this sucks.
Trail, and any others who knew them, sorry for your loss, and may their memories be a blessing.

Drivers need to recognize the responsibility they take on when they get behind the wheel. So few do.
Quote Reply
Re: Terrible Nevada Tragedy - 5 Cyclists Killed [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incident is the word.

Accident should be reserved for something like a meteor coming through your roof.

Not gross negligence.

The movie Hot Fuzz really touches on this, despite being a comedy movie.
Quote Reply
Re: Terrible Nevada Tragedy - 5 Cyclists Killed [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to Bob, titanflexr, ironclm, and the PMs.

I'm relatively OK, as my closest friends weren't involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

I'm sorry this happened to your friends and teammates. I agree completely. Negligence.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew 2 of the 5. They were great people. Heard great things from friends about the other 3. It’s just so tragic and scary for the LV community.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
trimule wrote:

So true. There are circumstances where it could be an accident like driver of truck had heart attack but to make it the default comment is just wrong.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG that is horrific! My condolences.

Sounds like a scary road to be riding. I always thought riding on roads 50mph would be scary and dangerous as most drive up to 60-65mph. 75mph speed limit means idiots driving 80+mph. No way is that safe for any cyclists to be out there. But that's just my view from far away across the country in a quiet rural state.

I don't ride the paved roads anymore simply for this reason and also I've had so many other problems from rude, aggressive, inconsiderate, and distracted drivers over the decades. I may do another Ironman again in the near future (depending on the vaccine distribution timelines). And I'll be prepared to sit on my bike trainer for long periods of time and ride the quiet gravel roads close to my house. It's just not worth it to go out on the paved roads. Most are not safe anywhere. And even in Vermont, most vehicles only give cyclists 1 or 2 feet of space and it only takes a second.

I was considering trying to hire a motorcycle driver to accompany me on maybe two 5-6 hour training rides on the paved roads, but even the motorcycle could be taken out by a vehicle.

Terrible all around!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read 4 different newspaper's accounts of the incident.

It looks like US 95 is really a limited access highway like US 30 across Ohio and Indiana, so a big road, grass divider in the middle, 2 or 3 lanes each direction, limited crossings, and a huge shoulder? They were traveling south in the morning, so at this time of year that puts the sun low and possibly in their faces?

The truck ran into the back of the safety vehicle. Because it was very windy on that stretch some of the riders had dropped behind the safety vehicle to let it break the wind for them? So my guess is the ones killed were crushed between the safety vehicle and the truck?

I won't make any excuses for the truck driver, and I feel for the riders, but as a guy that has spent a lot of time on the shoulder of busy roads as a paramedic, the first thing they tell you is drivers will see your vehicle and their brains will not connect that it is off the road and not moving until it is too late. They will drive right into the back of you, regardless of flashing lights and safety markers. Many cops, paramedics, and tow truck drivers are injured or killed each year because of that brain disconnect.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Terrible Nevada Tragedy - 5 Cyclists Killed [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrible news. My heart breaks for all the friends and families of those involved.

In the picture in the NYT it looks like there are rumble strips separating the shoulder from traffic. I usually feel pretty safe on shoulders like that, but this is a bit eye opening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: scca_ita: Dec 11, 20 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just terrible news. Couldn't believe it. We had a tri club member struck on a local highway (it is a highway, but only way to ride through this area)... the driver fell asleep momentarily... so this Vegas event hits home. Tragic. Thoughts to friends and family.

Quote | Reply
I’m sorry :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost embarrassed to post second level hearsay, but a friend who spoke to someone on the ride says that the group was separated in two with some in front and some behind the sag vehicle. They were riding in the slow lane of the multi lane road. He reports (once again - hearsay) that the box truck that struck the rear riders and the sag car was traveling behind another truck. This truck pulled out and passed the riders and sag. Total conjecture on my part, but we have all been behind a truck and could not see what was in front of it. Possibly he saw the truck in front of him accelerate and pull out and he accelerated intending to do the same not knowing that there was more than just a single vehicle ahead of him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:
Almost embarrassed to post second level hearsay, but a friend who spoke to someone on the ride says that the group was separated in two with some in front and some behind the sag vehicle. They were riding in the slow lane of the multi lane road. He reports (once again - hearsay) that the box truck that struck the rear riders and the sag car was traveling behind another truck. This truck pulled out and passed the riders and sag. Total conjecture on my part, but we have all been behind a truck and could not see what was in front of it. Possibly he saw the truck in front of him accelerate and pull out and he accelerated intending to do the same not knowing that there was more than just a single vehicle ahead of him.

Seems to contradict what one or more of the articles that said they were riding in the shoulder - which from the pictures appears to be very wide and have a rumble strip between it and the main lanes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next