Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my least favourite, worse than italics. Looks like a link
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [andy12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are not the only one that complains, so I'm going to log my complaint here and now about answers and rebuttals. The most annoying thing to me is when someone hits the quote button, and sometimes there is a whole page of quotes to scroll though, and then the next guy does it, and the next, and IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!!

So I just try and cut the appropriate thought and then answer it in a different form to delineate someone else's thought from my response. Because that is my next pet peeve, someone that cuts something and has no gap and just answers. takes a few seconds to figure out it is two different people you are reading..

And lastly, I hate it when threads get derailed!!!! (-; Me so sorry...
Last edited by: monty: Mar 11, 18 15:04
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone has followed Terenzo's history... he has gone on race streaks like this for years. There was a year where he was almost unbeatable, like Crowie was in 2008-2010.

I think we should look at who he beat this weekend at 70.3 Bariloche (somewhere in Argentina)

2nd Place was Igor Amorelli
3rd Place was Kenneth Peterson??? (never even heard of him)
4th Place was TJ

With this in mind... He didn't race a star field. If he would have raced IMNZ and then went and raced some A list 70.3s... then i would consider this performance suspicious.

This back to back performance wasn't suspicious at all.

oscaro wrote:
I don't think anyone is forgetting anything, but results like this warrant suspicion. I would be suspicious no matter whom the athlete was.
There are a few outliers in sports who recover in incredibly fast, in running you have Yuta Shitara who has run sub 2:12 on 2 consecutive weekends, however just because an athlete has a track record of similar feats, doesn't make the person impervious to questioning and suspicion. I am giving Terrenzo the benefit of the doubt, as I do everyone, but we definitely should be able to talk about it.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Last edited by: Brandes: Mar 11, 18 17:58
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
If anyone has followed Terenzo's history... he has gone on race streaks like this for years. There was a year where he was almost unbeatable, like Crowie was in 2008-2010.

I think we should look at who he beat this weekend at 70.3 Bariloche (somewhere in Argentina)

4th Place was TJ

Fwiw, K. Peterson. Former pro cyclist, if his words are/were to believe he once said ~"I can't run more than 16 miles a week without getting injured" then drops a 1:16... in a 70.3. Peterson is a very strong cyclist and great runner for very little run mileage.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also did it on two different continents. So add in a fair amount of travel time between and that is impressive.

I have always enjoyed Terenzo, probably one of the best (and most underrated) 70.3 athletes. Glad to see he hit one of his big Ironman goals in NZ last week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He actually gave up the 4% for the ELITE version/custom ones. They look funny but work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terenzo did this last year after Busso. he is an amazing athlete and has done this for years, agree I don't see him as outlier for suspicion. More he is an outlier genetically and in a sport that is not that deep in the pro ranks, so agree its not a surprise he can show up a week after an IM win and beat some other pros who are not that accomplished at this stage of their career.

Sorry for the mis quote/reply thingy. The under line is terrible, stick with what you were doing it is fine
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think this guy is close to Terenzo’s ability?

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Brandes wrote:

4th Place was TJ

Fwiw, K. Peterson. Former pro cyclist, if his words are/were to believe he once said ~"I can't run more than 16 miles a week without getting injured" then drops a 1:16... in a 70.3. Peterson is a very strong cyclist and great runner for very little run mileage.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
I don't think anyone is forgetting anything, but results like this warrant suspicion. I would be suspicious no matter whom the athlete was.
There are a few outliers in sports who recover in incredibly fast, in running you have Yuta Shitara who has run sub 2:12 on 2 consecutive weekends, however just because an athlete has a track record of similar feats, doesn't make the person impervious to questioning and suspicion. I am giving Terrenzo the benefit of the doubt, as I do everyone, but we definitely should be able to talk about it.
Simply by talking about it you are not giving him the benefit of any doubts you may have.
You are starting rumours through pure conjecture.
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
You think this guy is close to Terenzo’s ability?

Def not. Just saying he is no slouch and definitely somebody to keep an eye on. Terenzo has been on another level kicking butt at everything from short course (island house) to Ironman.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Terenzo did this last year after Busso. he is an amazing athlete and has done this for years, agree I don't see him as outlier for suspicion. More he is an outlier genetically and in a sport that is not that deep in the pro ranks, so agree its not a surprise he can show up a week after an IM win and beat some other pros who are not that accomplished at this stage of their career.

Sorry for the mis quote/reply thingy. The under line is terrible, stick with what you were doing it is fine

Terenzo said in an interview that he was on pace for 7:55 but slowed thinking about the upcoming races. While he hasn't been money in Kona for a variety of reasons (one I think is strength of field) when he is able to do his own race at his pace he's incredible.

I also think that racing like this is crazy if you were doping. It will raise suspicions and ultimately I would think leads to being tested on a more regular basis.

Good job to T, he's awesome when healthy and in my mind at least, a very welcome, incredible addition to my favorite sport in the world!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [andy12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do the italics work for you all?? //

I prefer bold.

i like it like this with the quote in italics but keep the new content (which is hopefully worth reading) in normal font so its easy to read. not that there's anything wrong with the normal practice so why reinvent the wheel?

commenting on this as a new standard for quote replies could be one god thing to come out of this thread. otherwise its just Terrenzo is going really well at the moment, as he does every so often. otherwise its just whether your glass is half full or cracked and emptying.
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Timtek wrote:
So much for taking 3 weeks off after an IM... Terenzo crushed IMNZ last weekend and won 70.3 Bariloche today. Wow.

Yeah, that sounds completely normal. Crush an Ironman, fly half way across the world, win a 70.3. In eight total days. People around here should be more skeptical.
What a sad world we live in or maybe just sad people on this forum when anyone who produces an amazing athletic performance is labelled that it must be due to using PEDs. What would the point be in following any sport if this is the attitude people choose to adopt. There is drug testing protocol in place and unless someone gets caught we have to assume they are clean rather than throw around bullshit accusations based on no factual evidence. Well that's the way I like to see sport and appreciate athletic performance. Try it as it is a far more enjoyable experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think the more interesting question is why he did this and whether it is a good idea. most seem to think that taking some recovery time after an IM would be best. T has a history of having purple patches then falling off so does he do well to make hay while the sun shines or would he be better to take some rest so as to ensure he doesn't burn out? of course we don't know his full situation so its only speculation but it seems like more interesting speculation to me.

i know pro cyclists say you come out of a grand tour and can race very well for a few weeks after that if you manage it right, i'd think an IM would give you much the same "anything else is easy" boost without the same deep fatigue of 3 weeks
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can get your brain to do that, good on you. It would make sport more enjoyable.

Stay away from the interviews with folks who are very candid. They make that approach much more difficult.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember reading an article about him getting ready for Wildflower years ago when he absolutely obliterated the field. It talked about him ramping up training to 50 hours - crazy stuff. Maybe he's one that is good to get fit, and instead of just keeping hammering on himself, he's better off to race/recover/race/recover/race...

He's a little old school it seems with the big hours approach, and this might be a great way to use the fitness, he knows he can get 3-4 weeks out of it (Look at the Cabo/Island House/Bahrain/IMWA stretch) THEN huge recovery and build again - he seems to be a racer and once he's going - he's ready to go go go. It hasn't worked out in the championship races but he's improving and seemingly staying healthy with it, so why not see where it goes!

As to flying around the world to race - he's a truly global racer, and some people have travel and training down and others get smoked by it. He's experienced for sure with it...that has to help.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He whose name shall not be mentioned
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
monty your arguments for are just as inane as the arguments against... you're not going to convince anyone to change their minds.//

Except I'm not making an argument. People are insinuating that he must be taking drugs(without actually saying it, which is chicken shit to me) to be able to do this. I'm not taking a stand one way or the other, just pointing out that he has had tremendous results in the past, even better than now by my reckoning. And I have no idea or not if he doped then, or now, or both. But without any evidence to the contrary, and his history from when he was a kid of being a great athlete, nothing in any of his performances leads me to any suspicion beyond the usual blanket thrown over all professional athletes. To my knowledge he has never been associated with drugs, missed or failed a test, or been in that camp of folks that deserve more scrutiny than others might get..

My argument if you want to take it as one is just that he has been and is a great athlete for a very long time, nothing more, nothing less.

How do the italics work for you all??

GO BACK TO BOLD AND WHILE YOU ARE AT IT TELL SLOWMAN TO NOT CAPITALIZE

Now, can we go back to the topic at hand. That 2006 race he cranked off at Wildflower was awesome. As for a half likely several percent points lower on effort than a full gas half one week after a full IM, what people on this forum are forgetting is that most of us when we were at our peak could do a sub 4 hour RACE at 96% the weekend after an 8 hour race. Age grouper peanut gallery people here are forgetting that there is a diff between an 8 hour race and a 10, 11, 12, 14 hour race, especially if your running biomechanics are as good at Terrenzo's.

He like all pros and KQ age groupers are not above suspicion and scrutiny, but what he did was not particularly noteworthy if he just did a victory lap appearance paycheque day on week 2.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
He whose name shall not be mentioned
I can only assume you are referring to Lance? If so it is no thanks to him that if I talk of Mark Allen or Dave Scott to a cyclist they assume they were both on drugs because of the era and their dominance. As a triathlete I would like to believe they raced clean but hey maybe they weren't caught? Maybe the Germans are so dominant in Ironman now because of the systematic doping by the German doctor equivalent of Dr Ferrari? We can all make up any accusation but we are only tainting our sport based on no credibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, and more recently sky. Thinking back to the 100 metres at Seoul. For triathlon Mark Allens times stand up for me as they have been matched or beaten by quite a decent margin.

Kona is a bit different as it is a full on race with different dynamics to those who have targeted really fast courses and gone all out for a TT record.

Think Terezone's performance is fine. It's really hard to use the no positive test as a proof of nothing to see.
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy is a former 70.3 world champion and despite being around for seemingly ever, he is only 33. Terrenzo is actually just coming into his prime.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, his natural vo2 is amazing - he was top 10 in tough new Zealand fields since he was 15 years old.... Totally gifted ... and won several World championships - duathlon, triathlon....no surprise at all

I thought it was common to cherry pick a B race straight after a A race while you're peaking....it's nowhere near as extreme as a tdf win and gold medal back to back
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is he not peaking at a wierd time? Or are you doing some kind of 2 split season, taking it a bit slow now and prepare for Kona.

Looking at his website, he is racing ALOT compared to other triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who knows but look at his season having his best ever Kona and then backed it up with a second at Island HouseTriathlon. Ironman NZ is his home race and gets early Kona qualification. Ride his good form and then six months to prepare for Kona as he chooses. Coming from Australia it has always been the way we have to structure our season if you qualify for Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Terenzo B. with back to back wins [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he was actually not sure whether he was going to be able to race Ironman New Zealand after being sick around the new year, but he's been trying to win his home country race for over a decade. So peaking now isn't strange at all.

Brent

Quote Reply

Prev Next