Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tennis elbow and road cycling
Quote | Reply
Anyone have to give up road cycling to get tennis elbow to go away? It doesn't bother me while riding, but the next day it's sore. I've given up all other activity and done PT, taken oral steroids, had shots and iontophoresis. I've gone 1.5 weeks without cycling outside, which didn't do anything, as soon as I ride outside, it's sore again. Docs and PTs think it should be ok to road cycle, but wanted to see if anyone has had to give up riding for a while to get over tennis elbow.
Quote Reply
Re: Tennis elbow and road cycling [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had tennis elbow for about 10 months now. I do not have your experience of biking irritating it, but I've come to the conclusion that it takes forever to get over it no matter what. I did have a PRP injection (where the doc also punched a bunch of holes in whatever it is that causes tennis elbow (I guess a ligament) which was at a pain level reminiscent of getting a tooth drilled without Novocaine (that's another story)) and that did seem to move the healing process along a little more quickly. Anyway, in month 10 the symptoms are mostly gone now.

BTW, my doc (who has sent me to PT for every injury up to now) recommended against PT for tennis elbow -- he just doesn't think it helps -- but he also didn't restrict my activities (I do not know what I did to get it in the first place, but it was probably a one off and not normal training)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Likely of no help but curious myself as I went straight to a TT bike and was already 4 IM deep before trying a roadie for the first time. Tried it once and my elbows/tris couldn’t handle it.
I’ve got a pretty muscular build but pretty lean so was surprised it was an issue. Embarrassing as I got tennis elbow from my bodybuilding days and flexing my arms 24/7. Pathetic but I was young lol.
Haven’t been on a road bike since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have tennis elbow until I bought a Theraband Flexbar and did the "Tyler Twist" exercise every other day for four weeks. Now it's completely gone. Look up "Tyler Twist" on YouTube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An article on the proven "Tyler Twist" exercise can be found on NCBI: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2971639/
Quote Reply
Re: Tennis elbow and road cycling [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
I have had tennis elbow for about 10 months now. I do not have your experience of biking irritating it, but I've come to the conclusion that it takes forever to get over it no matter what. I did have a PRP injection (where the doc also punched a bunch of holes in whatever it is that causes tennis elbow (I guess a ligament) which was at a pain level reminiscent of getting a tooth drilled without Novocaine (that's another story)) and that did seem to move the healing process along a little more quickly. Anyway, in month 10 the symptoms are mostly gone now.

BTW, my doc (who has sent me to PT for every injury up to now) recommended against PT for tennis elbow -- he just doesn't think it helps -- but he also didn't restrict my activities (I do not know what I did to get it in the first place, but it was probably a one off and not normal training)

I think I got mine from push mowing my large lawn, tractor was in for service and I thought I'd get a workout in.

It's interesting your doc didn't limit your activities. As I said, I've given up everything but road riding, no swimming, paddleboarding, strength training, mountain biking or any construction projects. Perhaps it is as you say, it just takes forever to get over.
Quote Reply
Re: Tennis elbow and road cycling [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
I used to have tennis elbow until I bought a Theraband Flexbar and did the "Tyler Twist" exercise every other day for four weeks. Now it's completely gone. Look up "Tyler Twist" on YouTube.

What color Flexbar did you get? I'll give this a shot, I'm not having much luck with anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I am suffering from this right now for last 4 months. PT thinks it is from increased outdoor cycling due to pandemic. When done riding hurts like hell to straighten arm. Just off bike for 10 days due to vacation and it did settle down some. I also golf once a week and that makes it worse as well. PT does a bit of work in it but very little. He said it does not help alot and is a very pesky injury and difficult to get rid of. I will try the flex bar folks taking about here with the Tyler twist. Odd my enough swimming does not hurt it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tennis elbow and road cycling [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tlc13 wrote:
Yes I am suffering from this right now for last 4 months. PT thinks it is from increased outdoor cycling due to pandemic. When done riding hurts like hell to straighten arm. Just off bike for 10 days due to vacation and it did settle down some. I also golf once a week and that makes it worse as well. PT does a bit of work in it but very little. He said it does not help alot and is a very pesky injury and difficult to get rid of. I will try the flex bar folks taking about here with the Tyler twist. Odd my enough swimming does not hurt it.

I stopped swimming, but I don't think swimming was really bothering it. The PT said swimming should be fine. As you say, I think it's just a very tough injury to get rid of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
RichardL wrote:

What color Flexbar did you get? I'll give this a shot, I'm not having much luck with anything else.

I had a very bad case of tennis elbow and was not able to bend or straighten my affected arm for at least a couple of weeks. I was not able to use it for light daily activities such as brushing my teeth or combing my hair. It was very painful, to say the least. I started out with the red FlexBar and used it for roughly a week and a half and noticed the pain slowly decreased as my elbow tendons got stronger. Once I was able to do three sets of 15 reps daily, I ordered a green one and repeated the exercise for another week and a half. By the end of three weeks, I could resume light duty activities again. Got the blue FlexBar to get rid of tennis elbow for good. It has been over a year, and tennis elbow hasn't returned (knock on wood). I still use the blue one twice a week as a preventive maintenance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a cyclist and tennis player I battled this last year and then finally figured it out and it went away. My issue,which mimicked tennis elbow pain did not ever bother when playing tennis, but was sore when riding. I finally realized that when I sleep I have the tendency to maximally flex at the elbow. When I consciously kept my arm straight whenever I woke up it went away. I tend to ride in the AM,and that is when I always hurt, tennis was in the evening.
Quote Reply
Re: Tennis elbow and road cycling [biker2035] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
biker2035 wrote:
As a cyclist and tennis player I battled this last year and then finally figured it out and it went away. My issue,which mimicked tennis elbow pain did not ever bother when playing tennis, but was sore when riding. I finally realized that when I sleep I have the tendency to maximally flex at the elbow. When I consciously kept my arm straight whenever I woke up it went away. I tend to ride in the AM,and that is when I always hurt, tennis was in the evening.

I sleep like a corpse in a coffin, on my back with my arms at my side, for the most part. Anytime I get awake and my arm is bent, I straighten it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Tennis elbow and road cycling [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s an -itis issue and they are always a pain to heal. Patients will take a bit of time off from activities that cause discomfort then feel a bit better so they jump right back into the exacerbating activity. This starts the cycle all over again. The flexbar and videos posted are good help along with a bit of ultrasound possibly from your PT. Good luck as it can be a pain in the, well...elbow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, finally received an e-mail notification from ST on the reply to my post four days later :(
Quote Reply