Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tenex procedure for pes anserine
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any experience with the Tenex procedure? I found other threads on hear people talking about it for their plantar fasciitis. I've been having tendonitis where the hamstring passes across the inside of the knee and we've tried everything else so this will be the next thing on the table. I had been putting it off but with the season likely toast it may be the time to get it done.

It would be great to hear from anyone with experience or input
Quote Reply
Re: Tenex procedure for pes anserine [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has your doctor confirmed you have scar tissue there? If not, then it don't work.
Quote Reply
Re: Tenex procedure for pes anserine [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. MRI after having a couple of cortisone shots showed a thickening of the tendon. Scarring I guess? Now he's recommending Tenex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine drives me crazy too, but there is no evidence of scar tissue. I just have to take a few weeks off and it calms down. But it's aggravating.
Quote Reply
Re: Tenex procedure for pes anserine [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine has been dragging on since Savage man last yr.... Super annoying
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, you aren't going to find data on this, yet. The registries on unltrasonic needle tenotomy (Tenex and TenJet are the big ones, but there are others) are just getting to the point of having enough data. One of my partners does a ton of these, publishes a fair amount on it, and participates in the biggest registries. But even he will tell you that, while it seems to work for a lot of tendinopathies, there is really only good data at this point for a few sites, mostly about the elbow. Not much for pes bursitis (which, as you know, is almost never a true bursitis, but rather an insertional tendinopathy, usually of the hamstring).

That said, it seems pretty safe. The studies that are published are showing very low complication rates, and most insurance companies are paying for it. So, not a ton of down side if you haven't responded to the usual stuff. And by usual stuff I mean hamstring rehab with focus on eccentrics, soft tissue work (we tend to use ART, but whatever), and topical nsaid creams or patches (we tend to use either compounded ketoprofen gel or flector patches -- mainly based on what patient's insurance will cover -- I think the patches work better, but they are expensive). I'll add +/- corticosteroid injections. They do provide good short term relief, but there is some data (again, mainly from other tendons) that it isn't great over the long term.

You also aren't going to find a lot of meaningful info on recovery time. It is widely variable, mostly based on how much work the person has to do on the tendon.

Not sure if that helps. Hopefully your doc has already discussed all of this.

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Tenex procedure for pes anserine [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your reply and yes a lot of that is what he had already told me. Still good to hear from another source though.
Quote Reply