Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell me about swimming n cycling n running in & around Greensboro NC
Quote | Reply
Sometimes work gets in the way of training especially when it's long haul travel to different time zones.
I have a couple of long haul trips from UK coming up during peak weeks of training for IM 70.3 Oceanside in April, trip 1 is to Dubai for 5 days, I'm sorted for a pool (The Arabian Gulf is pleasant enough this time of year) and running, I'm not even bothering with cycling there unless it's on a spin bike in a gym having witnessed first hand the driving standards & traffic there.

I also have a 5 day trip to Greensboro NC, the hotel (O.Henry) has a gym and a pool, I think it's 12 meters so I'll probably aim for The Y and do a day rate membership to lap swim at 5 am when I'll be wide awake anyway, running I was planning to do short sessions on treadmill up to 60 minutes but for a long one drive out to Lake Brandt and run some longer trails. Can anyone recommend anywhere I can rent a road bike for a couple of days? I've tried online but just seem to find butchers bikes to pootle round town on.

Any other suggestions for public swimming pools? Looks like there's a few Y's in Greensboro, any other running route ideas, not keen on running in town, too many intersections.

Thanks all, appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about swimming n cycling n running in & around Greensboro NC [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greensboro here, member of our local Triad Triathlon Team!
For pools, hit up the Greensboro Aquatic Center (GAC). They have multiple pools, day rates, and are a world-class facility. In fact, they just hosted a TYR Pro Swim Series.
For riding, you might have to call up the shops to see about rentals. Trek Greensboro is awesome, as are cycles de ORO, Revolution, and Recycles. There are some group rides to be found at http://bikegso.org.
For running, there's a great track and athletic complex in High Point. Salem Lake in Winston-Salem has a 7 mile gravel loop trail. Country Park and Guilford Courthouse National Military Park are connected and have awesome running (and riding) paths and trails and are close to downtown. There's also a couple miles of paved greenway that runs through downtown. The parks and rec department has a great online mapping tool.
Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about swimming n cycling n running in & around Greensboro NC [hokietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great thanks hokietris, very helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about swimming n cycling n running in & around Greensboro NC [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The go to bike shop/organization out that way is Cycles de Oro. They have website/Facebook etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about swimming n cycling n running in & around Greensboro NC [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I messaged them a few days ago, no reply yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are in the Winston area or will wonder a bit westward at times, I cannot recommend Mock Orange Bikes enough. Super friendly, really good people and have hooked me up on all sorts of things in times of need.

Lots of good low traffic rolling hills around Blowing Rock, Pilot Mountain. Really any direction, get a bit outside of Greensboro proper, its pretty good.

Decent Trail systems around the Lakes to the north side of GBO, good place to run.

Trivium puts on great races, as does SetUp Events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been 15 years since I lived there, but I'll 2nd or 3rd what others have said about Cycles de Oro. There used to be a good week day group ride that left from the Farmers Market (A, B and C rides). Generally rolling rural terrain. If you want a long ride, you could ride up to Hanging Rock SP and back (gets you into the foothills with some 1-2ish mile climbs, nothing too hard).

For running, tons of trails along Lake Brandt and Lake Jeanette (I had trails out my back door when were were in Lake Jeanette). You can take the paved bike path up towards Bur Mil Park and then jump off at one of the trail heads along the way.

Only swim experience I had was a the Y (Spears YMCA). Wasn't too crowded, pretty standard 6 lane, 25scy.

Great area. I miss the proximity to the epicness of the nearby mountains.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely thread as I'm starting to plan my annual pilgrimage back east to escape the Tucson summer heat. grew up in HP but was thinking about trying gboro out for part/all of the summer.

While I know I can go the airbnb route if any triathlete in the area has a furnished place/semi furnished to rent PM me.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply