Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell me about Cyclops PowerBeam Pro + VirtualTraining
Quote | Reply
Currently using Kinetic Kurt Road Machine and looking to step up a level with some virtual training...

I read about Tacx but heard it has lots of issue and poor customer service but cyclops looks good.. Does the Powerbeam Pro adjust the intensity/resistance based on the virtual trainer software? So when I'm climbing a hill on the screen, the resistance will get tougher on the trainer as well?

Is it realistic?
Last edited by: 125mph: Nov 21, 13 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Cyclops PowerBeam Pro + VirtualTraining [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the trainer and love it. It will adjust based on the virtual software and there is large number of maps out there. I also have the matching head unit which is great for doing interval work. The trainer is extremely smooth and quiet for a trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Cyclops PowerBeam Pro + VirtualTraining [mancala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mancala wrote:
I have the trainer and love it. It will adjust based on the virtual software and there is large number of maps out there. I also have the matching head unit which is great for doing interval work. The trainer is extremely smooth and quiet for a trainer.

Are you talking about the joule unit? Is that necessary or can I use my garmin?

Which one do you have, the Ant+ or the Bluetooth?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Cyclops PowerBeam Pro + VirtualTraining [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one as well, only differences between riding the PowerBeam and outside are no wind and no bugs hitting you in the face. To answer your questions, Yes, and Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Cyclops PowerBeam Pro + VirtualTraining [801pe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
801pe wrote:
I have one as well, only differences between riding the PowerBeam and outside are no wind and no bugs hitting you in the face. To answer your questions, Yes, and Yes.

So in order to use the virtualtraining online, you have to get the powerbeam with the virtual training software right? The online subscription simply allows you to download new courses?

What does the Joule GPS do or can I use my garmin?

How come I see powerbeam Pro with virtual training costing a lot more than just the powerbeam pro? But if I go to cycleops site, I can download virtual training for free?
Last edited by: 125mph: Nov 21, 13 20:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually when you buy a PowerBeam with the Virtual Training software, all you get is a Ant stick (CycleOps) and a code. The Ant stick isn't needed as you can use your Garmin stick. You download the VT software and input the code from the CD case you bought and it unlocks, locked features. The Joule is not needed either, you can just get the PowerBeam by itself.

The software has gone to a subscription based model that anyone can subscribe too. If you bought the software with your PowerBeam, they will give you one year of free VT or you can use it as a desktop version that will not get updated.
I bought one last week and have used it a few times. My unit was not emitting an Ant+ signal so I sent it back to Saris for a replacement. The VT software seemed to do a good job of adjusting the resistance to follow the grade of the road that I was riding. I rode a half and hour on both the IMMOO and IMAZ courses along with video.

TrainerRoad is also able to take control of the trainer and give you "ËRG" mode to use with their software. You can also use a spin setting to use the PowerBeam just like any other trainer and shift or increase cadence to simulate power output.
Last edited by: Burnt Toast: Nov 21, 13 21:27
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Cyclops PowerBeam Pro + VirtualTraining [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
Actually when you buy a PowerBeam with the Virtual Training software, all you get is a Ant stick (CycleOps) and a code. The Ant stick isn't needed as you can use your Garmin stick. You download the VT software and input the code from the CD case you bought and it unlocks, locked features. The Joule is not needed either, you can just get the PowerBeam by itself.

The software has gone to a subscription based model that anyone can subscribe too. If you bought the software with your PowerBeam, they will give you one year of free VT or you can use it as a desktop version that will not get updated.

Ah thanks!

For the joule, it allows me to control the resistence as I ride whereas the garmin won't do that right? I read to set a specific wattage such as 250watts, I need the joule too? The VT wont do that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
Burnt Toast wrote:

Ah thanks!

For the joule, it allows me to control the resistence as I ride whereas the garmin won't do that right? I read to set a specific wattage such as 250watts, I need the joule too? The VT wont do that?

VT will do that once you sign up for the subscription. They also have an app for Apple products that I believe you can make custom workouts but I don't have an ipad or smart phone so I can't say for sure. I'm also not sure if you can st target on your Garmin and control the resistance as my trainer would not connect to my Garmin. When I get it back from Saris, I can try that out.

If you have a GPX from a route you've recorded with your Garmin, you can upload that and ride that route. I believe it will control the resistance although I haven't use that yet. You can go into Google Earth (through the software) and draw your own routes, then ride them. I think PerfPro and do it also.

Again, if you currently use TrainerRoad, you can use their workouts and ride along as TR controls yout PowerBeam.
Quote Reply