Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Team triathlon - for races and season long
Quote | Reply
Do I have this concept fully developed, nah. The idea is to increase race participation and make what's happening further back in the race important too.

Cycling and XC running do a pretty good job of making the team dynamic almost as important as the individual result. For this reason, the announcers and the public are interested in what's happening farther back in a race. The race isn't over until the team race is concluded too. I for one would rather have triathlon/IM coverage be about team coverage rather than all the human interest drama stories that are emotionally taxing and maybe getting old. I would rather the sport stories cover good performances rather than overcoming odds (just my preference).

Could triathlon have team results? It's rather straightforward during a race that it could be the time/places of three-five people. Season long could be team points be derived from individual performances at multiple races rolled into a team result. So even if you are the only one of your team at that race, your result is still important to your team.

This is not just for pros. It's for AGers too so there is even a greater connection to the results of your friends. Teams could be across AG and gender. There might be some cache to say that not only are you doing triathlons; you're part of a triathlon team.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Team triathlon - for races and season long [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When Michigan was in the Mideast Region for USAT they had a fun team points competition - 3 or 4 categories depending on team size, points for race results, end of season prizes. It was very fun.

Now we moved to Midwest and they unfortunately don’t do anything like that.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Team triathlon - for races and season long [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XC scoring would be sweet. 5 teammates score. Lowest score wins

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Team triathlon - for races and season long [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
When Michigan was in the Mideast Region for USAT they had a fun team points competition - 3 or 4 categories depending on team size, points for race results, end of season prizes. It was very fun.

Now we moved to Midwest and they unfortunately don’t do anything like that.

Sounds like it was motivating. Was it season long in addition to race by race?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Team triathlon - for races and season long [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just season long - cumulative. Definitely fun, and inclusive as you got points just for finishing. More points for top 50 percent, top 5, etc. It encouraged participation in local races as well.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply