Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TdF Stage 5; Loriant to Quimper...lumpy stage...breakaway wins? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sagan's finishes 2nd-1st-2nd-1st....
he is so good - i don't even know if you'd make a lot of money betting on him to do that.
the gc teams (well, sky, at least) are so good that they can nullify the classics stars going to battle by just riding insane tempo.

yeah, so, what's on tap for tomorrow and for sunday?? it should continue to be interesting...
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 5; Loriant to Quimper...lumpy stage...breakaway wins? [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like the looks of the GC, thanks to the crashes on the first two stages all the contenders are all over the place (albeit within a minute or so) so when it hits the mountains (maybe cobbles too) it should be exciting from the get go with time needing to be made up or saved everywhere by everyone. Feel like usually everyone is together until 2-3 stages in the mountains before gaps are made and shit hits the fan but the shit's all over the place already. Also huge thanks to Sky for not dominating the TTT.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 5; Loriant to Quimper...lumpy stage...breakaway wins? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
I really like the looks of the GC, thanks to the crashes on the first two stages all the contenders are all over the place (albeit within a minute or so) so when it hits the mountains (maybe cobbles too) it should be exciting from the get go with time needing to be made up or saved everywhere by everyone. Feel like usually everyone is together until 2-3 stages in the mountains before gaps are made and shit hits the fan but the shit's all over the place already. Also huge thanks to Sky for not dominating the TTT.

Considering all the national TT champions Sky had (they had 4 and that did not include Froome) their performance was "somewhat" pedestrian in the TTT, BUT it goes show that the TTT is more about doing V02 and then recovering at sub FTP and then another V02ish surge to reattach before "sitting in and building" as they move from 7th man back to 1st. This is a different effort than the ITT, so it's not totally surprising to see Quickstep doing awesome at the TTT
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 5; Loriant to Quimper...lumpy stage...breakaway wins? [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally watching the pvr recording....man some of those roads in the final 30K are pretty narrow.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 5; Loriant to Quimper...lumpy stage...breakaway wins? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn’t have audio on because I was at work but what was up with the crash they showed where the guy was very out of it? Was that today or a replay from sometime?
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 5; Loriant to Quimper...lumpy stage...breakaway wins? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
What about Matthews? He is 11 second back on GC and if he can take an intermediate time bonus and stage bonus yellow is also possible.

Here is the bonus seconds location at 192K: 700m at 9%...probably too steep for Matthews, but I bet he will try:

GVA was pretty smart to take 2 seconds bonus on this climb. Alaphillippe got 3, so he was really the only one to gain anything on GVA for subsequent stages in terms of dethroning the yellow
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 5; Loriant to Quimper...lumpy stage...breakaway wins? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was surprised how early everyone was hammering, @ 60 kph 200m is 12 seconds. Basically your fast twitch is barely good for 10 seconds before some aerobic contribution is needed, so when these guys go too early they use up their fast twitch and they are done. You could see it yesterday with Greipel and today GVA was leading way too early. Sagan just sat in and waited until he only had to hammer for <10 seconds. Sagan literally floats around wheel surfing such that he gets in striking distance and uses his fast twitch at that optimal moment only!
Quote Reply
Re: TdF Stage 5; Loriant to Quimper...lumpy stage...breakaway wins? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I didn’t have audio on because I was at work but what was up with the crash they showed where the guy was very out of it? Was that today or a replay from sometime?

IIRC, it was from the Tour of California last year. Low blood sugar plus likely concussion mades for some very poor decision-making.
Quote Reply

Prev Next