Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Taylor and Tayler won ITU U23
Quote | Reply
What's up with kids' names these days?

That aside, that ride by Taylor Knibb was a true tour de force, and her run was impressive as well, coming 3rd best, when everyone says it's her weak link. Not sure what happened to Tamara Gorman, she was in the chasing pack but dropped off on the run. She was super strong last year in the same event, winning the U23 with a strong run. Regardless, with a few very young already in the Elites, and some super fast kids in the junior like Gilian Cridge and Parker Albright coming up, the US women's future is indeed very bright.

On the other hand, the US guys are not looking great. I am not sure why Alec was looking around and seemingly waiting for someone between his first swim lap and coming out of the water into T1. Was he looking for a teammate or something to swim and ride with? It was kind of weird. In any event, hope the Podium Project by USAT/ASU will produce some results fast. We will see how the Junior races will go for the boys on Saturday.
Quote Reply
Re: Taylor and Tayler won ITU U23 [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is nobody talking about this? All power napping to stay up tonight and watch the women?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was super surprised by Tamara Gorman's performance as well. If I'm not mistaken, Emma Jeffcoat, the reigning U-23 champ from 2016, also had a less than stellar performance last year in Rotterdam. Maybe it's a year-after curse?

After last night though, I guess my money is on Taylor Spivey to win tonight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I am not sure why Alec was looking around and seemingly waiting for someone between his first swim lap and coming out of the water into T1. Was he looking for a teammate or something to swim and ride with?

-----

Yes he was racing for Seth last night.

In regards to the Podium Project, I take the opposite approach. We need a much longer viewpoint with this than quick results. They have some good talent in that group right now, but let them train, let them race and get their ass handed to them on international field and then lets see if they win. Let them.....develop!

Results right now shouldn't be any justification in that process, as we aren't close to getting on a podium at an itu event with the men. They need to time to train and not worry about results.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Taylor and Tayler won ITU U23 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That explains it, but why’s he racing for Seth in the first place?
Quote Reply
Re: Taylor and Tayler won ITU U23 [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeffcoat crashed last year didn't she, which hampered her ability to defend. It's also worth noting that the courses are very different between Cozumel, Rotterdam & Gold Coast... so in the case of Gorman, Rotterdam was super wet and super technical, Gold coast is a tougher swim with the surf, dry, and not very technical, and quite flat... In fact the GC course is much closer to Cozumel (just not as scorching, since it's still technically winter in Oz...), but Rotterdam was drastically different... That probably is a large influencer... The other factor is that Gorman raced a lot more this year than last year if my memory serves correctly, so she was probably coming in less fresh... And then the obvious difference, that Knibb is the Spirig-like bike monster of the U23 field... completely shifting the race dynamic...

The men's race, all I can say is that Reid smashed it, but holy shit, Bicsak's close was ridiculous... if he can make some improvements in the swiim, he could be Mola like a few years on, and might give others nightmares like Mario does these days... Little disappointed in how Bergere rolled over at the end there, but I think he was absolutey cracked (based on how wobbly his legs looked when he made the turn into the finish chute)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To do exactly what he did last night. Crack the swim, create a gap and bike to keep chase pack away. Alec did great job last night. Put Seth in position to run for top 5 place. Seth just didn’t have it. Shit happens, sometimes at the worse time and most important race.

ETA: Alec hasn't developed the run *yet*, and Seth Rider for the U-23 field has a very competitive front pack swim and run. A lot of funding opportunities can come when you "play ball" with federations and Alec did his job great last night. Seth just had some stomach cramp issues, and watching he kinda looked antsy on the bike from watching the feed. But he'll live to fight another day.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 14, 18 16:42
Quote Reply
Re: Taylor and Tayler won ITU U23 [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeffcoat didn't crash at U-23 Worlds last year, that was a different race (New Plymouth earlier this year). She had a rough swim in Rotterdam though, and one of the girls in her pack crashed, but she didn't. She ended up 18th after attempting to make up a 1:50 deficit off the bike. But yes, that bike course was super technical, more so with the weather that day. As for Gorman racing more this year, that could have definitely played a role. She came off the bike with the first chase group, but after her run, ended up 18th.
Quote Reply
Re: Taylor and Tayler won ITU U23 [velox canis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are on the other thread.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Taylor and Tayler won ITU U23 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great call Brooks. Let them develop! The model seems sound, the talent seems strong, now let’s give it some time to work.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tamara has been injured on the run. Just getting healthy. Give her time, she'll be back. She was 2nd and 7th in W.Cups this year, so I think her season has been solid. Just needs to be healthy for a few months.

Seth looked like he was cracked from the get go on the run, and frequently was dangling on the back of the front group. (I watched in person) He might have had a stomach cramp but it looked like he was toast in the first 400 of the run. He's had plenty of strong races and is only 21. I will not be surprised if he's in Tokyo for the MTR or the individual race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HeartRN wrote:
I was super surprised by Tamara Gorman's performance as well. If I'm not mistaken, Emma Jeffcoat, the reigning U-23 champ from 2016, also had a less than stellar performance last year in Rotterdam. Maybe it's a year-after curse?

After last night though, I guess my money is on Taylor Spivey to win tonight?

What???
Emma Jeffcoat isn't the reigning champion of anything, pretty sure Lindeman won in 2016.
Quote Reply
Re: Taylor and Tayler won ITU U23 [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep you’re right. Jeffcoat was ranked 1st coming into the race in Rotterdam, wasn’t the reigning champ though. My bad! Good catch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was at a 5k turkey trot in DC yesterday spectating with about 1/2 mile to go and noticed the first woman looked extraordinarily strong and powerful stride and was quite close to the male leaders. Looked her up afterwards: Taylor Knibb. 16:54.
Quote Reply