Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Taupo Ironman info request
Quote | Reply
I'd like to do the NZ ironman in 2004 and need some advice.

1. When can you sign up for this and is it as oversubscribed as other races?

2. How soon do I need to book accomodation in Taupo?

Any info gratefully received about these points. Or any other anecdotal stuff.

Thanks

Colin

Bollocks....I'm knackered - Eammon
Quote Reply
Re: Taupo Ironman info request [colinf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are many here more experienced than I, but I hope this is of use to you.

Entry is at : http://www.ironman.co.nz/entry.html

We stayed with a delightful couple at Chandler House, a B&B/motel. Email them at chandlertaupo@xtra.co.nz, (and please say hi from the Mardell's!). We made the booking only a couple of months in advance, but probably got lucky. Prepare to fall in love with the country, the town of Taupo, and the race itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM NZ is a great race, if not for the airfare I would go back next yr!

Sign up is open now (opened last week, got the email, was tempted for 10seconds but card credit bill is sitting in front of me) It's their anniversary yr next yr so might want to sign up earlier this yr. Last yr i entered in august and it was not full till late Jan (I think) One thing to bear in mind is the number of visitiors from the US, this yr there were over 270, third only to NZ and Aus participants. I suspect there will be more heading over (baring war problems) as the exchange rate and the event is so favourable. Very different atmosphere than an NA IM race, much more laid back.

Lots of places to stay, we rented a house that could have accomodated 6, but as usual when it came down to it only me and the Wife went over for 75 NZ $ a night, about 35$ US. It was just off Lake Terrace and right on the swim turn around so 1500m from the start. Motels were going for $60-70 NZ. Check the internet for estate agents, that is where we found the house.

Another thing is car hire, if you can track down a local company and book inadvance (wagon or mini van) its a hell of a lot cheaper than the multinationals like Herts. We got a 99 Nissan wagon with insurance form 36 NZ$ a day.

If you live on the west coast its an easy 12 hr flight from LA and another 3.5 hr drive to Taupo from Auckland. Was the easiet trip we have ever made (with bike box etc)

IF you want more advice email me at tribuddhatri@yahoo.com or get in touch with CLM and Wy (latter can be found over at Gordo's forum).

Quote | Reply
SimpleS had good info. I've already signed up for next year. As my buddy Roger said, "If I'm not in Taupo the first Saturday of March, I'm not breathing." I LOVE IT THERE!!!! (Except for the speeding ticket they just mailed me.)

For accomodations--go to the website and get in touch with the folks at the Taupo Tourism Board. Or, if you want to do a package, get in touch with Deepak at Premium Plus Sports. They do a great job. I got my flight through them, but I have my own B&B that's like family.

I'd say you probably have until the fall to sign up, but since it's the 20th anniversary, it may fill up early. I know some Kiwis who have already entered and they all usually wait until the end of the year to do so.

To whet your appetite: http://www.laketauponz.com/ourenv/webcam.asp

You might also want to sign up for the yahoo.groups list. Link on the IMNZ website. We (my tri club) are going to do an IM NZ F.A.Q. web page when I get a chance.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Taupo Ironman info request [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your feedback.

Now I need to train!

Colin

Bollocks....I'm knackered - Eammon
Quote Reply