Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tapering for Olympic/Sprint Distances
Quote | Reply
Hi!

I would love to hear ideas of what training to do in the last few weeks before an Olympic distance or sprint distance tri.

Thanks!

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Tapering for Olympic/Sprint Distances [DaveH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what works for me, I'm not an exercise physiologist. For Sprints, two weeks before race day I do my last long, hard brick...whatever that distance is for my fitness level and race length. For the following week, I do more speed work than normal and cut back on the distance work. One week out from the race day, I do a long, slow run...that's my last hard workout. The week of the race, I gradually do less and less and throw in at least three rest days. The day before the race, I warm up in the pool, warm up on the bike then ride about 5 miles at race pace, jump off and run 1 mile hard. Race the next morning.

For Olympics, I do almost the same thing...but I try to start 3 weeks out, and the distances are longer...except for the day before the race. It may be important to note that tapering tends to make me depressed, and I feel really sluggish and bad even the day before the race...but, come race-day...BOOM...it all comes together.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply