Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tannus airless tires?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone on this forum have experience with or strong opinions on Tannus airless tires?

My fear of flats has caused me to resort to Continental Gatorskins even for my race wheels. I've dismissed the idea of using tubeless tires with self-sealing goop because they seem messy and maintenance intensive. Another option might be Tannus airless tires < https://tannusamerica.com/pages/airless-tires >. They won't work on my race wheels simply because they won't fit the rims, but I have been considering them for my touring bike and possibly for a non-race set of wheels. The following is based on the propaganda I've been reading on various websites and seeing on YouTube.

[Official Disclaimer: I have no association with Tannus. I don't even know anyone who works in the bike industry other than some folks at a local bike shop.]

Weight
There might be an actual weight savings if the weight of the tire change kit is included.

Weight for Tannus
700x25 Tires: 395 grams x 2 = 790 grams

Weight for Continental Gatorskins
700x25 Tires: 240 grams x 2 = 480 grams
Rim Strips: 5 grams x 2 = 10 grams
Tire Tubes: 65 grams x 2 = 130 grams
Spare Tube: 65 grams
CO2 Cartridge: 60 grams
CO2 Inflator Head: 30 grams
Tire Levers: 15 grams x 2 = 30 grams
Total: 805 grams

Ride Quality and Performance
The ride is described as being as harsh as Continental Gatorskins, but I'm already riding Gatorskins. Tannus actually offers three grades of stiffness for their road tires (Regular 100 psi, Hard 110 psi, & Soft 95 psi). One performance distinction that I've seen noted on YouTube is less swerving due to a loss of fear of riding over broken glass and other road debris. Tannus claims that the rolling resistance of their tires is 2% to 8% more than conventional tires, but they don't state the brands and models that they used as benchmarks. My present Gatorskins are among the worst for rolling resistance.

Installation
Installation is a battle that involves brute force and fitting a lot of little plastic pins, but this should be a once-in-the-life-of-the-wheel event. Tannus recommends having your local bike shop install the tires.
Sizing

This is where I find I can't use them for my deep-section race wheels. Sizing is a function of the clear distance between the beads on the inside of the rim. Based on what I've seen on manufacturers' websites, this is 4 mm or 5 mm less than the outside width of the rim.

My touring bike has rims that are 20 mm on the outside, which suggests 15 mm or 16 mm on the inside. If the inside width is 15 mm, my choices as specified on the Tannus website are 23 mm and 28 mm tires. If the inside width is 16 mm, my choices are 25 mm and 28 mm tires. The bike presently has 25 mm Continental Gatorskins.

My triathlon bike has deep-section HED wheels that are 25 mm on the outside and 21 mm on the inside. The only choice Tannus gives me are 40 mm tires, which is ridiculous. The bike presently has 23 mm Continental Gatorskins. My understanding is that the recent trend in bike wheels is to make the rim width larger so that the cross section of the rim-tire combination is more like an airfoil than a light bulb. The takeaway message is that Tannus tires aren't designed for the typical deep-section wheel.

Cost
Tannus tires are $80 each. That's about twice what I paid for the Gatorskins including the tubes. Tannus recommends having a bike shop install the tires, which could double the cost. Tannus offers the option of buying a set of Mavic wheels with Shimano 105 hubs and tires already installed for $375 < https://tannusamerica.com/...re-mavic-wheel-combo >. That might be a good option for someone who wants a set of conventional tires for racing and airless tires for training.
Last edited by: Fredo_Adagio: Mar 21, 20 19:37
Quote Reply
Re: Tannus airless tires? [Fredo_Adagio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have several bikes with Tannus tires: mostly small wheel folders and an old steel road bike converted to single speed/fixie (bikes I pull out of the garage to run an errand, kids bikes, so we don't get stranded around town, or have to fuss with inflating/maintenance).
I have them on those because I live in Arizona, where if you go off the main road (and certain times of year even on the sidewalk) you will pick up so many thorns/goatheads/stickers you can't actually get anywhere on a bike. This way we can take short cuts through alleys etc.

I'd never put them on a mountain/gravel/road/training/tri bike. I don't have Tannus tires on my main commuter bikes either because they don't get that many flats (35 - 45mm 700C) and the ride on air tires is just way faster and less painful on all body parts. The rare screw or rebar will get you with a massive flat, but not worth suffering on solid tires the rest of the time.

The ride is rough, like jolting your disks out of your spine rough. The rolling resistance is high. Unless you are going to be riding over butter smooth concrete, like a F1 track, forget it.

And yes, they are a b*tch to install, so you will be paying extra for the shop to install them.

Tannus tires are wonderful for selected applications. If you have kids commuting on 20" wheels to school, well worth it.

For racing, I race tubulars, and you can ride them even when somewhat flat, and if it's just a puncture flat, then just inflate with a compressed air/goop inflator (like Hutchinson FastAir), and keep riding.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest Continental GP5000 clincher tires with latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've thought about putting one on the front wheel of my trainer bike because I'm too lazy to pump up that tire on a regular basis so I end up riding half the winter in Zwift with a flat front tire. Other than that, I can't think of a single application I'd want to run a solid front tire on.

No worries though, Synthetic will be along shortly to call everyone who's not running Tannus tires a bunch of wankers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were considering distributing these a few years ago, and tested a few sets.

"The ride is described as being as harsh as Continental Gatorskins, but I'm already riding Gatorskins. Tannus actually offers three grades of stiffness for their road tires (Regular 100 psi, Hard 110 psi, & Soft 95 psi)."

We tested the 700x23 110psi version, and I've never ridden a 700x23 that harsh, even when pumped up to 130psi.

"Tannus claims that the rolling resistance of their tires is 2% to 8% more than conventional tires, but they don't state the brands and models that they used as benchmarks. My present Gatorskins are among the worst for rolling resistance."

The rolling resistance on the ones we tested were through the roof. It took about 70w more to maintain 20mph than my GP4Ks.

One thing we discovered, and found mentioned in a few reviews, is the traction when wet. The entire tire is made of foam, including the tread. There is no rubber. On smooth wet surfaces, traction can be unpredictable.

Another problem that I've seen with all solid tires is that your wheels take a beating. As one review put it "These tires are for people who prefer replacing spokes instead of tubes". After a few weeks of testing (and a broken spoke), we decided not to carry them...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the thing - if you care about going fast, which it seems you do since you spend money on things like HED deep-section wheels, you just need to get over your fear of flat tires. It's irrational.

Any time real data has been published about airless tires vs. normal tires, the rolling resistance comes out terribly. Given this company just gives a generic range of % difference in rolling resistance compared to an unspecified tire is BS. Without all the information, I assume these tires are as terrible as all the others that have ever been tested.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Tannus airless tires? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here I am to save the day. If you are planning to race, get the 110psi version, they can fit wheels as narrow as 13mm. The softer models do add serious resistance, but I use them for my commuter/fun bikes since most roads here are pothole hell. Considering the cost for tubes, time to change tires, $80 is definitely worth it. I am laid off now, but worked as a bike messenger. If I am not riding I am not getting paid.

I did 3 races with the tannus tires (sprint tri on fixed gear bike, sprint tri on roadie, bike touring race) and have placed pretty decently. I only use solid tire on my tri bike for zwift riding. All the races I showed up to, it was relaxing to show up knowing I dont have to stress about a bike tire pump
Last edited by: synthetic: Mar 22, 20 9:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like it would be much easier to work on overcoming your fear of flats. They are rare and really not a big deal. In 20 years of racing hundreds of races, I've flatted twice and one of those was my own fault. Takes a couple of minutes out of my race and I'm on my way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. You've talked me out of the idea of going to airless tires. I'll take another look at tubeless.

I found the following website that provides rolling resistance data for a long list of road bike tires. The top four are tubeless. The best tubed tire is Continental Grand Prix TT closely followed by Grand Prix 5000. My Gatorskins are seventh from the bottom.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fredo_Adagio wrote:
Thanks for the input. You've talked me out of the idea of going to airless tires. I'll take another look at tubeless.

I found the following website that provides rolling resistance data for a long list of road bike tires. The top four are tubeless. The best tubed tire is Continental Grand Prix TT closely followed by Grand Prix 5000. My Gatorskins are seventh from the bottom.

I have been racing on the GPTT for years and have had no issues with them. With a latex tube, they are very fast. That said, they *are* very thin and don't offer a ton of flat protection. The GP5k, however, is a close second and is a rather durable tire from a flat-resistance perspective. Unless you are riding through tacks, you shouldn't worry much about flatting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bicyclerollingresistance.com tests clincher tires with a butyl rubber tube in them.

If they had tested the clincher tires with a latex tube, they would have been just as fast as the tubeless tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fredo_Adagio wrote:

still put them on your training wheels. save the race wheel / tire combo .... for a race!
Quote Reply
Re: Tannus airless tires? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try to live by the "nothing new on race day" motto as much as possible. Granted, I don't ride my race wheels all year long, but if I was to race tubeless I'd ride tubeless in training. Yes, getting a flat on a training ride is an inconvenience, but it's part of the learning. The last thing you want is to have your first flat with tubeless be on race day and you have to figure out how to repair it during the race (assuming the sealant doesn't "heal" it.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
still put them on your training wheels. save the race wheel / tire combo .... for a race!
Having race-day only equipment is the surest way to screw something up on race day.

For amateur competitors, it also usually doesn't make much sense in terms of enjoyment of the sport. People spend the vast majority of their time non-racing, and the stakes of a mechanical are far lower in a non-race than in a race. Unless your roads are covered in giant glass knives that are constantly hacking your tires to pieces, why not spend that vast majority enjoying a tire that's reasonably lively and fast?

I have similar feelings about "rain bikes." So often it seems that people start from the assumption that a rain bike intrinsically sucks, and that everything that makes a bike a rain bike inherently has to suck, and they build up a miserable bike around that assumption.
The ultimate expression of this phenomenon are fenders where the primary design goals are minimalism and ease of removal. They inevitably end up being ugly and flexible, and have very poor coverage. They're pretty much designed to make people want to remove them!
I don't have a "rain bike", or at least, I don't have any bikes that I ride in the rain that I don't also ride in the sun. The reason for this is simple: if I don't enjoy riding it in good weather, why the heck would I want to ride it in sloppy weather!?
Quote Reply
Re: Tannus airless tires? [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I bike 30 miles a day on average in a downtown city, where I live near heavy industrial area. I have to work in the rain... which required me 3 drive train rebuilds in a year. my bikes get trashed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I bike 30 miles a day on average in a downtown city, where I live near heavy industrial area. I have to work in the rain... which required me 3 drive train rebuilds in a year. my bikes get trashed.
Most people aren't in that same boat.

I'm also not recommending building an expensive bike. I'm recommending that, for recreational athletic usage, fully-baking the concept and prioritizing enjoyable moment-to-moment characteristics. It's an issue of configuration, not quality tier.
Quote Reply