Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Taking the Forum's advice on vehicles
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for a new car. I have researched, researched and researched some more. Then I read the thread a week or so ago about vehicles appropriate for triathletes. I had never even heard of the Honda Element prior to reading the thread. After hearing what several of you had to say, I looked it up and did some reading. After I got past the appearance (it ain't much to look at) and into the features, I found it to be quite a nice little vehicle. Took the next step and went for a test drive. Looked at three, test drove two. Looks like the Element is going to be my next vehicle. Haven't bought it yet but plan to make the purchase very shortly. Pretty neat little SUV. Ugly but quite functional.

I know I'm getting old when I buy a car based on function as opposed to appearance.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Taking the Forum's advice on vehicles [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I know I'm getting old when I buy a car based on function as opposed to appearance"

C'mon...if that were really true, you'd have bought a minivan! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Taking the Forum's advice on vehicles [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How true you are! I briefly considered a minivan, but in the end opted out of that choice. I'm getting old, but I ain't that old!

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RP, I went for the minivan which as its own geek factor, but then opted to go with race stickes to "customize" it. The latter has its own geek coefficient. Now I have no excuse if I stand at another minvan, same model/color, and can't get the dang door open! Geesh, I've got no pride left!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I know I'm getting old when I buy a car based on function as opposed to appearance"

Or you know that you're middle aged when you are more concerned about how long a vehicle will last than how fast it goes!

I drive a well used Dodge mini-van that is great for carting my tri and scuba gear. Yesterday I test drove my brother's brand new Mini-Cooper S. Now that is one sweet ride. No room for a bike though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Element will also be my next car. The looks are definitely for the younger crowd, which I don't know if I really fit into or not (chronological age of 27, but feel and act like I'm 23). Make sure to check out the Element Owner's Club and H and A Accessories. Out of curiosity, which model grade, transmission, and accessories are you looking at? I'm debating between the 2WD and 4WD EX automatic. I plan on adding the keyless entry, roof rack, and mud flaps through the dealer if they give me a good price or do-it-myself otherwise.

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Taking the Forum's advice on vehicles [dukeisno1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goal is to stay as inexpensive as possible. I would like to go no higher than $20K, and that's a bit on the high side. I'm looking for AC, CD player, keyless entry. Probably stay with a 2WD, but I do want a 5-speed. I enjoy changing gears, and the 5-speed Element is quite fun to drive. I hope to get one pretty soon. Problem is that I don't have a Honda dealer in my town. Nearest ones are 45-60 miles away, so I'm having a hard time getting to the dealerships. I've looked at three and test driven two. I'm not sure that the Element is made for me appearance-wise, but as far as the options go, it's perfect. I'm 30, and while I'm a little out of touch with the way it looks, the way it's set up couldn't be better. I'm pretty jazzed about getting one, and I hope to have one in the driveway very soon.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 weeks into ownership, I've gotten past the quirky looks of my Element. I absolutely love the UTILITY of this vehicle, relative to what I like and have to do. 100lbs of muddy Marine Corps gear stuffed in the back, came out, wiped down and you'd never know it was there. A carpeted floor would have been trashed for weeks until I could get a steam cleaner after it! Two bikes standing straight up with both wheels and the seat still in place, trainers, gear bags, wet rainy post-TT gear later and no dramas with a quick towel wipedown. I just love this thing. No grease stains on carpet! Yeah, I'm biased now.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking the Forum's advice on vehicles [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought an Element last weekend. DX model, A/C, power windows/locks, automatic. So far I love it. I can put a bike in there, with front wheel intact, along with my baby, wife and baby supplies. And no grease stains on the carpet. Great vehicle, excellent price, tons of room.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey RP, We are a two minivan family. How about that for old. I have a 93 Dodge with 180K miles and it looks like trash. I heve taken out the middle seat to make sortof a mini-limo. Back seat still holds 3 and the center is available for the bike and all the stuff - out of the rain, etc. And since it has tinted windows, the contents are secure from onlookers.

Best thing about an old beat up minivan worth $500 (to a willing buyer) ... No one would ever suspect that there was a $3000 bike inside with a spare set of racing wheels, helmet, shoes, etc. And as far as the carpet stains you guys are talking about ... I can't even see them anymore.

Truth ... With three young kids, the bike, wetsuit, tri entry fees, wife's marathon entry fees, hotels on race weekends, I just can't afford anything else.

Enjoy the Pilots, guys. Us old farts will catch up some day. CH
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's an alternative. Try www.wagonmaster.com. Everything you need and a classic, too.
Quote Reply