Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tailwind vs. Skratch
Quote | Reply
I've been using Skratch for years now, and am curious how Tailwind stacks up, tastewise. I moved to Skratch for more subtle flavoring, and have used the Hyperhydration for workouts I know I'll sweat more.
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind vs. Skratch [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried all the Tailwind flavors and the lemon one is my favorite.

Cannondale Slice 08
look keo pedals
fizik k3 arione saddle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tailwind do sample packs that include a sachet of all their flavours.

Despite their claims of "no stomach bombs" it's probably the only product I've tried that has actually resulted in one!

SIS BetaFuel is the one for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used hammer for training and endurance formula for racing + long workouts on weekends for ease of use on the course. Just recently switched to tailwind since it's easier for me to get.

I have the berry flavor (no caffeine) and so far have no complaints. I used skratch last year and found the taste too powerful. Tailwind is extremely subtle taste. At the end of the day all of it is sugar water IMO

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind vs. Skratch [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
At the end of the day all of it is sugar water IMO

Well, they are either all sugar water or not. That is not a matter of opinion.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you done a sweat test yet? Might be worth it if you are considering changing fuels anyways. I like tailwind, the naked one or lemon.
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind vs. Skratch [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back when I was thriftier, I literally mixed salt, sugar, and water. Added some of the bubbly water flavor for Soda Streams to make it more palatable. Then went to Skratch.
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind vs. Skratch [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexer03 wrote:
Have you done a sweat test yet? Might be worth it if you are considering changing fuels anyways. I like tailwind, the naked one or lemon.

Been a while since I’ve done one properly, but know for sure I’m sweating TONS more as as I get older. I should probably do another one in the heat of the summer now though.
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind vs. Skratch [p9ul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p9ul wrote:
Tailwind do sample packs that include a sachet of all their flavours..

That sounds WAY too smart for a knuckle-dragger like myself! I’ll have to give it a try for a medium-long and hot ride and see what it does for me. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that Skratch is more of an electrolyte replacement product with a tad of energy added. But Tailwind -similar to Infinit- is a full blown fueling system. Therefore, each product has it uses, depending on the race and training etc. Only one of my clients uses Tailwind and loves the new Cola - but the rest use Infinit.

Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Tailwind since about 2015 or so. I use the Naked flavor and have one 200 calorie bottle per hour plus a banana. Works very well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a regular Skratch user for years now. Love it. I tried Tailwind for the first time about two weeks ago, and I really liked it, too. I found Tailwind to be a good bit sweeter than Skratch, not surprising looking at the calorie count, but not Gatorade-sickly-sweet. The Tailwind is also a lot saltier in taste, which I think also shows up on the nutrition label, though I don't recall the numbers.

There's a place for both. I like Skratch (and Osmo) for long, hot days when I need a lot of hydration but not necessarily all the calories that come with drinking a higher-calorie drink. You could alternate with Tailwind to get calories in, or go Tailwind-only in colder weather when you don't need as much fluid per hour.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used them both and have to say, the Green Tea Tailwind is my favorite - mellow, subtle flavor and not nearly as sweet as the Skratch mixes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
I've been using Skratch for years now, and am curious how Tailwind stacks up, tastewise. I moved to Skratch for more subtle flavoring, and have used the Hyperhydration for workouts I know I'll sweat more.

Skratch Labs makes several formulas. The Hyper-Hydration is one of the specialized mixes, but they make one that is just electrolytes and a couple of others that contain carbs and protein.

Tailwind Nutrient makes just one formula and it is a do everything type of mix.

So they are formulated to do different things.

On a side note, I would be careful using the Hyper-Hydration formula. You would need to be a very heavy sweater (the kind that develops a salt ring on their hat and shirt) to justify taking in 1800 mg of sodium in a 24 oz drink.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used tailwind (and nothing else) for the bike leg at Norseman this year and it worked very well for me. I've cocked up nutrition before but this was very simple and once I had dialled in my approach over long training rides I was pretty confident on race day.

I put 2 scoops - 200 cals - in each of a pair of 550ml bottles and drank at a rate of one bottle every 45 mins. Two bottles on the bike (BTA and BTS). Worked out at 266 cals/hr and almost exactly 1g carbs per hour per kg bodyweight. Picked up 2 new bottles from my mobile aid station (my brother Stephen in the hire car) at intervals <90 mins.

On the run I went to coke, red bull, couple gels and a dime bar.

I'm happy I'll do this in future races but if using on course support I'll keep a concentrated bottle and pick up water to supplement as I go.

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally avoid stuff I barely get at events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like Tailwind, and all th flavors I've tried so far have been good. Pretty subtle flavor when mixed around 200 kcal a bottle. Super concentrated (800+ kcal a bottle) the flavored mixes can get a bit unpleasant but tolerable. The nude one is great for concentrated bottles.
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind vs. Skratch [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:

Skratch Labs makes several formulas. The Hyper-Hydration is one of the specialized mixes, but they make one that is just electrolytes and a couple of others that contain carbs and protein.

Tailwind Nutrient makes just one formula and it is a do everything type of mix.

So they are formulated to do different things.

On a side note, I would be careful using the Hyper-Hydration formula. You would need to be a very heavy sweater (the kind that develops a salt ring on their hat and shirt) to justify taking in 1800 mg of sodium in a 24 oz drink.

To be clear...I believe all of the “during” mixes Skratch makes contain no protein at all...but they do offer a 4:1 cabs/protein recovery mix for post-workouts...
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind vs. Skratch [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably should have included more info. Just looking at hydration. I use Cliff Shots as well. I do sweat a TON now and have found the Hyperhydration beneficial in this long, hot days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just switched to Skratch from Gatorade powder. No problems with the Gatorade but love the strawberry Skratch.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a combo of tailwind, carbon pro and salt tabs for the bike.
I combine 10 scoops of naked tailwind, 5 scoops of carbo pro into a 500ml bottle and then 2 salt tabs and hour. I have a high sweat rate but 15 scoops of tailwind in 500ml is just too salty where the carbo Pro adds some Cals without salt and then supplement with salt tabs. Combined with a 200 cal Powerade I was able to consume 1700cals in 5 hours during IM Whistler and feel great which I have never been able to without stomach issues. Really happy with the combo and taste.
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind vs. Skratch [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried Inifint and it didn’t end so well for me.

I made the move to Skratch a few years ago and never looked back. For my long distance events, bottles are a mixture of Skratch and CarboPro for the extra calories. If It’s really hot, I’ll throw in another pinch or so of sea salt.

Lightly flavored and not in your face. Oranges and fruit punch are awesome.

Recovery - coffee or horchata Skratch. They just came out with these new single serve horchata pouch where you add the water to the pouch itself. Pretty nifty and tastes great too.
Quote Reply