Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tailwind Nutrition
Quote | Reply
Hi, anyone try Tailwind and have any opinion them? Especially the flavors? Thanks!!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind Nutrition [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use tailwind during training (no caffeine berry flavor, comes in a blue bag). I really like it because it has a super light flavor with one scoop which is all I need during my regular workouts. I'm not too sure about using it (or any liquid for that matter) as my only fuel source for IM, but that's more of a me thing than saying it couldn't work. I would recommend

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind Nutrition [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I think I will try some sample packs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the raspberry flavor with caffeine, works well for me and like the poster stated above it has a light, clean, mouth feel. Not quite enough calories for me for all day so if Iā€™m going long I have to supplement with other sources but for 2-4 hours itā€™s my go to. If I mix it stronger (more than 2 scoops per bottle) the taste doesnā€™t agree with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve used Tailwind for several years now. I prefer the unflavored version. I donā€™t go all liquid though and instead do a 150 cal bottle per hour plus a banana. Works for me. If thereā€™s a long climb ahead Iā€™ll take a gel but itā€™s rare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used the lemon flavor and naked flavor as my only main nutrition on my last few 70.3 races and like it quite a bit. My plan is to use it in my next full iron as my main nutrition and maybe supplement with either on course stuff or maybe some sort of carb mid ride. I have my nutrition (at least for the 70.3) dialed at this point with tailwind and I do add like 50% more salt to my liquid fuel. It seemed to make a huge difference to my performance, but otherwise I utilize what is on course and have had great results.

Typically I run 1 or 2 concentrated bottles and then have space for water or whatever is on course in the BTA. I have done a mix as well in the bta which i like better but I can't easily mix with water at aid stations, so I think this year I will run concentrate and BTA with water/on course stuff. Otherwise it has been perfect to me. I have basically gone 100% liquids with tailwind and its much better than gels and easier to do than solids. No issues on the gut for me. I suggest trying their flavors and seeing what you think. I like the lemon and naked equally. The naked does have a weird flavor but it is not strong, and neither is the lemon. Much easier to get my calories without feeling like vomiting due to how mellow the flavors are, even concentrated.
Last edited by: Aid.dre.an: Jan 1, 20 17:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used it in training and racing....and I moved away from it.

Its pretty good that you can dial in the amount of calories you need for your event but the taste gets old pretty fast and to stay up on our calories your sipping very often. Its good if you use it with solid food/gels.
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind Nutrition [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had GI issues in races until I switched to Tailwind. It works great for me and I like that they have weird flavors like cola and green tea.
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind Nutrition [Traphaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge fan as well but like one of the other replies I like to supplement with something solid, typically banana or clif bar.

Banger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a Maurten fan but am curious about tailwind. Anyone used both and have a preference?

I used Maurteen almost exclusively at Leadville this past year (w a few GUs mixed in) and felt perfectly fueled but always looking to gain more power/energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amanda Coker says she used it during her world record attempt. Gotta say something that it can help fuel 12 hrs a day on the bike for a year+.
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind Nutrition [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone who uses it confirm how many servings can de diluted into an aero bottle?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind Nutrition [Triheaven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep my BTA at single to 2x strength for the bike leg (depending on race distance) but for long course I also keep a sludge bottle on the bike that can hold at least 12 servings in a 24oz bottle

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Last edited by: Dr_Cupcake: Feb 9, 20 3:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve been using it over a year and donā€™t have anything bad to say about it. Tropical buzz and berry are my two favorite flavors. Two scoops per bottle and Iā€™m ready to roll.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use it. I love it. Colorado Cola is fantastic.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind Nutrition [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!šŸ˜

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't believe this thread has gotten this far and no one has said anything about the unfortunate naming for a nutrition product...

Or I'm just an immature prick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Last edited by: brider: Feb 10, 20 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind Nutrition [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
Can't believe this thread has gotten this far and no one has said anything about the unfortunate naming for a nutrition product...

GOOD CATCH!

I'm looking at the ingredients of this stuff, and its just dextrose and sucrose. What exactly are they claiming prevents "gut bombs"?

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind Nutrition [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What exactly are they claiming prevents "gut bombs"?

Absolutely no idea but I do know it works well for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind Nutrition [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
brider wrote:

GOOD CATCH!

I'm looking at the ingredients of this stuff, and its just dextrose and sucrose. What exactly are they claiming prevents "gut bombs"?

Lack of maltodextrin, lack of artificial sweeteners like xylitol and lack of needless coloring agents

It's basic, but I love it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An old thread, but just to add I used nothing but Tailwind for the bike leg at Norseman last year and it worked a treat for me. One 20oz bottle with two scoops (200 cals) every 45 minutes. I've had gut problems in the past and took some care over both the cals/hour and also the concentration (10 fl oz per 100 cals is in their recommended range). Moved to red bull/coke/gels/daim bars for the run/walk/scramble.

It was possible at the Norseman because you basically have your own mobile aid station and can grab bottles pretty frequently. For a normal IM I'd have considered a concentrate mix and taking plain water on the course.
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind Nutrition [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to echo the positive experience. At my last trail race (45km) I used Tailwind almost exclusively, just half a banana at about 30km on top of the liquids. Tailwind say you can double up the concentrations, but I don't find this so palatable and actually ended up a bit dehydrated from trying that approach. Definitely worth carrying either soft flasks ready to fill or Tailwind stick packs for refills at aid stations.

I'm keen to try out the Maurten energy drinks that Kipchoge et al. use.
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind Nutrition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am planning on using Tailwind in my next Ironman, but would appreciate some guidance on how to prepare the "sludge" bottles. Is the idea to just take a hit off of the sludge bottle and follow up with water from the BTA?
Quote Reply
Re: Tailwind Nutrition [jtklein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jtklein wrote:
I am planning on using Tailwind in my next Ironman, but would appreciate some guidance on how to prepare the "sludge" bottles. Is the idea to just take a hit off of the sludge bottle and follow up with water from the BTA?

Probably depends on how you want your total setup to look. If you wanted to do a single BTS, you could run it at a concentrate that will last until your SN, then grab another bottle that'll take you to the line, and then supplement with straight water BTA from Aids. I prefer running a 'sludge bottle' BTS with lines on it. Right before aid, at the correct amount to my BTS torpedo, then top off with water. I like that more because I know that what I'm drinking is the proper dilution without having to think about it in the moment. Can also run dual BTS (water, concentrate) so you have access to more water seperate from your nutrition if you want it.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next