Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tacx neo - which bikes won't fit
Quote | Reply
Which bikes have been tried and not have not fitted? I want to get a neo but I also want to get a new TT bike next year. Would be good to know if there are compatibility issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo - which bikes won't fit [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nearly all, if not all, of the major manufacturers have moved away from designing bike frames of a shape incompatible with the Neo-type direct drive trainer. The frames that can be problematic are the ones that have strongly angular seat stays such as the Specialized Transition, some models of the Kestrel 4000 or older models of the Orbea Ordu (http://lava.namnori.com/...-ordu/#axzz3uO8l1JXa).

A good indication that a frame will have issues with the Neo is that is is known to have issues with a disc cover. I won't swear by this but a good list can be found here :http://www.wheelbuilder.com/...sc-troubleshoot.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 Trek SC, 2014 Specialized Tarmac, and a 2013 Trek Madone. All fit on the Neo. Just my n=3.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo - which bikes won't fit [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I have a 2014 Trek SC, 2014 Specialized Tarmac, and a 2013 Trek Madone. All fit on the Neo. Just my n=3.

Hi, can you confirm that you are using a 2014 Trek SC with the NEO? Elsewhere I read that this doesn't work...

Could there be a problem, when having the duotrap sensor installed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 56 Cervelo nP3 (2014) is a very tight fit. To completely clear the non-driveside I have to either lift the front wheel slightly (put something under the front wheel holder, a cm or so is enough), or use the 135mm spacer (which improves the balance of the whole system).
I imagine that different sizes of the same bike might fit better/worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo - which bikes won't fit [oberkampf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oberkampf wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Hi, can you confirm that you are using a 2014 Trek SC with the NEO? Elsewhere I read that this doesn't work...

Could there be a problem, when having the duotrap sensor installed?

I never used the SC on the Neo but it certainly fit on there without any clearance issues. I checked all my bikes on it when I first got it.

I did not have a duotrap sensor on the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is also a running change in 2016 for a slightly different case shape in the area prone to rub the frame. From what I have heard the rolled out the new ones this month.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo - which bikes won't fit [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone using this trainer with a Felt IA frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo - which bikes won't fit [SBRYYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my wife's 2014 Madone6 barely fits... but it's a 47cm frame so that might have something to do with.. chain stay lengths and all. nearly touches the rubber cover piece on the back of the DuoTrap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked one up last night and it fits my Giant Trinity no problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can confirm a Felt IA and a Cervelo NP2 fit perfectly on the new 2017 box sticker NEO. It's unreal how quiet it is compared to my old kickr. What's even better is that the power accuracy matches my Quarq within 1-2 watts (what a concept). Loving it so far, but still worried about long term durability
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo - which bikes won't fit [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loosegroove wrote:
I can confirm a Felt IA and a Cervelo NP2 fit perfectly on the new 2017 box sticker NEO. It's unreal how quiet it is compared to my old kickr. What's even better is that the power accuracy matches my Quarq within 1-2 watts (what a concept). Loving it so far, but still worried about long term durability

yes it is way quieter indeed... I do find it not as smooth at low watts though. (sub 80) which is no big deal. My 2014 BMC TM01 and 2014 PARLEE Z5Sli fit fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, Garneau TR1 doesn't fit because of the rear brake :-(
Last edited by: ghoumard: Oct 29, 16 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking about picking up a Fuji Norcom Straight for a second tri bike.

The chain stays are different shaped so I was wondering if anyone knows if that bike fits on the version 1 Neo. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 2016 Tacx Neo with the original case shape. I have tried my P5-6 which does fit, but only just. But I wonder why one would choose to use a top end TT/Tri bike for regular use on a Tacx Neo instead of an old hack bike. I personally train on an old steel-framed TT bike on my Tacx Neo. I wouldn't routinely cart the Neo to races for a warm up - it's really a bit heavy - I'd take a lighter, simpler trainer for the purpose.

Robert
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo - which bikes won't fit [GrumpyBob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrumpyBob wrote:
I have the 2016 Tacx Neo with the original case shape. I have tried my P5-6 which does fit, but only just. But I wonder why one would choose to use a top end TT/Tri bike for regular use on a Tacx Neo instead of an old hack bike. I personally train on an old steel-framed TT bike on my Tacx Neo. I wouldn't routinely cart the Neo to races for a warm up - it's really a bit heavy - I'd take a lighter, simpler trainer for the purpose.

Robert

I agree with Robert... besides who wants to remove the rear wheel on a TT bike anyways. I have such little clearance on my BMC TM01 with my Super9 disc sometimes it takes me minutes to get it right as far as rub goes. Rollers would be the way to warm up..or something like Feedback Omnium were just the front gets taken off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the pre 2016 model, which worked/ works perfectly with my Canyon Speedmax CF and S Works Venge, but just bought a Flet IA 1, so I'm hoping it fits that, ok...
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo - which bikes won't fit [hopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if a p4 will fit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just posted on the official SC thread and found this pic on DC Rainmakers discussion board. Looks like 2nd gen SC should work (not sure if there are differences between Neo's by year)

If I could, I would totally put a beater bike on the Neo, but small place and only room for 1 bike. :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRYYC wrote:
Anyone using this trainer with a Felt IA frame?

I just got my Felt IA1 and it fits my first edition Neo fine ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I brought a neo a few weeks back. From my experience.

Felt AR1 56cm - Had to remove the under chain stay brake pads the first time to get it to fit, but haven't had to since. Strange one that, possibly didn't get it lined up correctly when clamping onto the trainer.

Cervelo P2 52cm - fits fine.

Cervelo P5 56cm - Jury is out. In the shop I asked them to put their P5 on the neo to check fitting and it wouldn't go. I think someone on here did get the P5 on the Neo however. I am wondering if the Neo in the shop is the old model with the different case? I have the W2017 boxed one. I haven't tried my P5 on the trainer yet as it is tucked away for it's winter hibernation. I don't really plan on using the P5 on the Neo anyway.

It would appear most bikes will fit, but you might come into problems with fancy break setups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to add to the list -

my brother's Falco V does not fit into my Tacx Neo

My BMC TM02 fits with no issues.

Wife's QR Kilo fits too

Will report soon on Omni
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo - which bikes won't fit [kgro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will the NEO fit my (2013) Orbea Ordu?? Crap! The NEO is to be delivered to my place this week...
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo - which bikes won't fit [GrumpyBob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrumpyBob wrote:
But I wonder why one would choose to use a top end [..] bike for regular use on a Tacx Neo instead of an old hack bike. I personally train on an old steel-framed TT bike on my Tacx Neo.Robert

My n=1: I would really love to have a dedicated "hack bike" set up on my NEO *but* here are the primary two reasons I don't (in order of significance) and instead have been using my nice road bike:

(1) I like that while Zwift and other apps can control the resistance of the NEO, my power readings come from my crank-based PM (in my case, Rotor 2Inpower). This ensures that all of my numbers are "apples to apples" and I am not having to convert my power measurements back and forth. Even if both power sources are 100% accurate, I will still get different #s between the crank-based PM and the NEO due to drivetrain losses

(2) I ride the Dash Strike 9 saddle, and that means that my hack bike would need an expensive saddle. Admittedly, I could do without my Zipp aero bars. But I also run Speedplay Zeros with non-standard spindle lengths so that would be yet another not inexpensive component that would need to be included with the "hack" bike

(3) My road bike has di2 and it would be hard to go back to mechanical, even on the trainer. Yes, I said it.

So there you go. When your overly spoiled on your "normal" road/tri bike, it becomes more expensive to put together a "hack bike" that you will be happy with.

First world problems, to be sure.

Oh and then there is also the issue of being able to train on the NEO in both my road and TT positions. Now we would need TWO hack bikes!

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo - which bikes won't fit [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p3 wrote:
Will the NEO fit my (2013) Orbea Ordu?? Crap! The NEO is to be delivered to my place this week...

I don't see why it wouldn't.

The only reason why Falco V doesn't fit on Neo is because of some (cosmetic, I assume) shapes all over the bike.

Omni fits with no issues.
Quote Reply

Prev Next