Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TUFO tire feedback
Quote | Reply
has anyone used their tubular/clincher tires? the tires seem to cost a bit more than most other 'quality' clinchers, but as i own 700c clinchers, using such a tire seems like an easy way to sheed a few grams (less the tube & rim tape).

any thoughts are appreciated i.e. ride characteristics, durability, changing of tire etc.

thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: TUFO tire feedback [dave in chicago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the tubular clinchers on my training bike for a full year without a problem. Finally, the rear developed a leak that I noticed after a ride, and since I no longer had a spare I stopped using them. But if I get around to ordering another one I'd definitely use them again. Here's my rundown:

Pros:

-High pressure, take up to 170 psi.

-Great road feel almost as good as tubulars

-Easy and quick to mount and change once you learn how. There is a clear guide to mounting them on the Tufo web site.

-Very durable. I suppose I ran over a sharp object at slow speed, but they lasted a year and about 10,000 km. of riding without much visible wear on the treads and no flats until the last one.

-Made in the Czech Republic, land of my clan.

Con:

They don't fold well, so they are a pain to carry compared to an inner tube for clincher tires. That's probably the main reason I decided not to keep using them.

-David in Taipei
Quote Reply
Re: TUFO tire feedback [dave in chicago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried them and considered buying them for the store. Although the product did exactly as it was represented to do and functioned as advertsied; I fail to see the advantage over a good standard clincher tire. TUFO tubulars are, however, my favorite tubulars.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply