Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TT Super bike on a budget project
Quote | Reply
GCN started a cheap TT bike project few weeks ago. I decided to do the same few month ago, but wanted a modern TT bike with enough clearance to fit wide rims with 25mm tubeless and an accurate left/right powermeter crankset.I have taking time to choose each part because i wanted second hand lightly used or in very good conditions. I just have completed my TT superbike on a budget yesterday. Maybe it will give you some ideas so i share you my build and you could post your project if you have done the same.

Felt AR5 frameset 550$
Bontrager Aeolus 7 TLR wheelset 750$
Wheelcover aerojacket 100$
Captain america wheel decal (friend, gratis :-)
Verve infocrank powermeter 250$
Etap TT (rear der. + blipbox + clic + blips 500$
Sram TT brake 30$
Shimano 105 direct mount caliper 50$
Profile design aeria ultimate stem 40$
Zipp vuka bull slope base bar 100$
Zipp vuka clip on 80$
Time Xpro 12 pedals 80$
Elite crono cx bottle set 20$
Fizik arione tri k5 40$
Chain catcher 20$

Conti GP5000 TL 25mm 80$

Total 2690$

Last upgrade will be to buy an aero chainring, a tririg omega X or TRP T860 front brake, and the profile design aeria hydration system to match the stem

Last edited by: Veyron40: May 19, 20 0:17
Quote Reply
Re: TT Super bike on a budget project [Veyron40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very stealthy and the an Omega X will clean up the front end. I have been a fan of those brake levers for a number of years as they work fine and aesthetically I prefer them over modern levers which tend to be much larger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice - kudos to you, that looks a nicely considered build and a great example of what can be achieved within a target budget.

What could you get for $2500 off the rack today? That's the comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful pics. Good to see my "old faithful", the Arione Tri2. Definitely an Omega and make sure your new chainring is a 55/42.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you find the handling? I've gone the route of building a TT bike using an undersized road frame as well (this was way back before good TT bikes were as common as they are now), and I found the handling to be OK, but a bit sketchy on fast descents and the toe overlap made 180 turnarounds a little more eventful than they should be.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: TT Super bike on a budget project [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank's guys for your replies !!

To answer the handling : it was a choice to undersize the frame. With the vuka bull slope, and the undersize frame, i have exactly the same position when i corner that i do on crits with my road bike. I wanted to replicate the "hand in the drop" position, because i was a roadie before being a triathlete. So i feel very confident. The other reason is that i have a short torso and long legs. But today, with all hardware available, you can achieve a very "handling friendly" position with different frame size, just playing with base bar slope, stem lengh, armpad raisers. I don't do long distance tri, but i do some M, S (no draft events) and road time trial, so i wanted a nervous and agressive bike.
Quote Reply
Re: TT Super bike on a budget project [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric, you're right, so nice the Fizik arione tri is !! You can move forward when needed, go back on climb, and extra padding is really nice on the nose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, I love the Captain America shield!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you manage to find an etap group for only $500?
Quote Reply
Re: TT Super bike on a budget project [TomvdS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought separate. I have found rear derailleur for 200, blipbox for 180 and clic and blips for 120. I don't have front derailleur yet, want to try 1x chainring.
Quote Reply
Re: TT Super bike on a budget project [TomvdS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm french, this is my favorite website ;-))

https://www.troc-velo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gotta ask... why do you put $ after the number?
Quote Reply
Re: TT Super bike on a budget project [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's a common way of writing currency denominations in various european countries.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I gotta ask... why do you put $ after the number?

Standard notation for most European countries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done. Similar in price to my "budget superbike" build a few years ago though I certainly didn't have etap. Nice work on piecing that together at that cost. The OmegaX and the PD Hydration kit will make that front end 10x better as well. I really feel like that's the true superbike conversion part.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: May 19, 20 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, sorry for $, didn't know you don't use that in the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They do, it's just that the convention is to put the $ in front of the number, not behind it. eg $200.00, not 200,00$

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: TT Super bike on a budget project [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of triathlete are saying very good things about the OmegaX. Here in europe it's hard to find so we have to order directly on tririg website and pay for import taxes. Maybe wattshop in the UK has the OmegaX.

For the aeria hydration, i have seen in april (facebook video "How much fast is the aeria HSF) a test in velodrome with a women on a Cervelo P3 or P5, don't remember exactly, but it was (they said) 7 watts saved. They just didn't said the speed and power test protocole.
Quote Reply
Re: TT Super bike on a budget project [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
;-) ok for the $ before next time !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you can try at an Orbea dealer. Their ordus come equipped with tririg.
Quote Reply
Re: TT Super bike on a budget project [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Project update.........HED 11spd rear disc wheel replaces the older tubular small-tire Renn disc

I've got $2500 beat by a LONG shot...........getting the frame free helped a ton, then learning to do carbon fiber repair. I think a fair sum for me is just at or barely over a grand.

I get the question a LOT about the cockpit. It's the PlanetX open mold PDQ style. I flipped the extensions from an old PD clipon set and use a 15 degree shim to angle only the pads. If on level ground the pad center to tip height is within a couple mm of UCI compliance. The extension flip makes it look worse than it is. It's kind of an optical illusion. It will be inside the "box" if I can afford Di2 at some point. Or rotate the mechanical 1x shifter 90 deg so the extra height moves in the horizontal plane to change gears and gain back that 1/2 inch. I'm a Cat 4/5, USAC don't care about me so it doesn't matter that much. I've seen much worse.

I run a BP 3.3 skinsuit I got on closeout on Backcountry on Black Friday for $135. I got a Poc Cerebel off Ebay that had a cosmetic scratch from putting it on and folding the ears back for $100.

It's stupid fast for the watts I make. I could say more, but that sums it up well.

Quote Reply
Re: TT Super bike on a budget project [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful bikes you guys put together. That they were inexpensive makes them even better. I've been thinking of doing the same for a while since I already have quite a few of the components, and seeing this thread is motivating me more and more.

Damn youz!

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What chainring is that?
Quote Reply
Re: TT Super bike on a budget project [carbenfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carbenfire wrote:
What chainring is that?

Me, or the other person?

Mine is a Garbaruk 54T, 1x.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
carbenfire wrote:
What chainring is that?

Me, or the other person?

Mine is a Garbaruk 54T, 1x.

You. Didn't know they had color choices available, it really goes well with the other accents on that frame. Good-looking bike!
Quote Reply

Prev Next