Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TT Bike Build: P3-SL / 1x
Quote | Reply
Getting ready to start a new build. Finally pulled the trigger on a frame, and have placed orders for the parts. I've been riding a converted road bike last year and this year (https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6419137#p6419137). I'll be transferring over the front-end, wheels, seat, and PM (bolded in the list below). Eventually, I'll put the Cannondale back into its road config (I kept all the roadie parts).

Frame: P3-SL, 55cm
Fork: Wolf TT
Cranks: O8 150mm w/ O8 107mm sq-taper BB
Ring: SRAM X-Sync 50T
Brakes: Shimano 105 side-pull
Stem: 80mm -17d

RD: SRAM APEX WiFli medium cage
Cassette: Sunrace CSRX0 10spd / 12-32T (silver...really wanted black, but out of stock)

Basebar: PD Ozero
Areo Bars: PD T2+

Controls: SRAM Bar end shifter / Brake levers
Seat: ISM PR2.0 seat

Wheels: 80mm front wheel / DIY Monokote Rear disk cover
PM: Old-Skool Wired PT with LYC

All told, I'm in for $850 so far. That doesn't include the cost of the bits I'm transferring over from the old bike, nor does it include the money I hope to get back for selling things that I don't need anymore. I expect those things are pretty close to a wash.

I really wanted to either do Magura Hydros or tririgs, but I still need to absorb the cost of a good fit. I couldn't find a good deal on Ebay for the Hydros...So, I drew the line there. That will be high on the list next year...perhaps with a "slicker" front-end, though.

Updated: Bold/Blue parts have arrived. Bold/Black parts will be transferred from existing bike.

Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Aug 25, 18 19:09
Quote Reply
Re: TT Bike Build: P3-SL / 1x [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my P3SL, and am scheming to switch it to 1x. Following!
Quote Reply
Re: TT Bike Build: P3-SL / 1x [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really much to switching to 1x. Mostly you need a Narrow-Wide chainring, and a RD with the capacity for your chosen cassette. You can see above that I went with a SRAM WiFli Medium Cage RD, which has a rear Cog capacity of 36T. There's also the Wolf Road-Link which extends your RD hangar to allow you to use your existing RD (with some caveats).

I chose a 12-32T rear cassette with a 50T front ring. That very closely mimics my existing min/max gear ratios.

39/26 = 1.5 ==> 50/32 = 1.56
53/13 = 4.07 ==> 50/12 = 4.16

I'm only x10 in the back, in order to be able to switch my PT wheel back and forth between this bike and my road-bike (once it switches back to a pure road config.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Argh!

FedEx attempted to deliver the frame today... But the seller shipped it with signature required without telling me. The one day my wife wasn't home!!!

Second, the usps couldn't fit the chainring into the mailbox with the Rd, and brakes. So, they took it back to the post office.

Oh... The agony!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics??
Quote Reply
Re: TT Bike Build: P3-SL / 1x [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Pics??

Well, yes...there will be. I hadn't considered pics of the parts just sitting around...or, at least, not until I had them all in my possession. Unless you wanted pics of the FEDEX tracking status. :-)

The Frame and Chainring are both confirmed out for re-delivery...and the spousal unit has graciously agreed to wait around for them today. So, I "should" have everything when I get home tonight.

It will be yet another all-black bike. About the only thing I had a color choice on was the Crank arms: black or silver...went with black. Most everything else was the Henry Ford choice. Next year, I may look into having it powder coated---the wife is complaining that she needs a way to recognize me out on the course. Seems pretty cheap...prices around here seem to be <$100 for a bare frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng_Jerseys_P5674312/

Your Magura's just showed up in the classifieds...

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: TT Bike Build: P3-SL / 1x [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parts arrived.

Frame...

First stage of assembly. The frame didn't come with a shim for the stem... So, I'm on hold until that arrives. Anyway, here's where I got to. I left the chain long until I can out the shifter on with the stem firmly attached. Should be here on Wednesday.

Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Aug 25, 18 19:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post test ride. Ready for training ride tomorrow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two thumbs up. Looks awesome.

Treat her to some fresh bar tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cut that fork, replace that PD top tube bag with something more aero and it is a BEAUTY!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: TT Bike Build: P3-SL / 1x [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I have a profit session scheduled for next Saturday. So, I'll dress it up (cut the steerer, new bar tape, etc) after that.

Yeah, I don't like the PD bag. Haven't decided on something better yet. I like the idea of a hard sided type... The soft side PD doesn't really seem to hold its shape and drops off to one side.

I Did a 40 miler today, same route as last week. Averaged 1/2 mph faster on 20 less watts. I was mostly on the hoods, but I did several short stints in aero. I kept sliding forward on the saddle. I made several tweaks to saddle height/tilt and aerobars tilt, and felt much more comfortable by the end.

I'm not sure about the 150mm cranks. They felt REALLY short. My road bike has 175mm cranks. Power was down (20 watts) for the same effort level. Cadence was up by 10+ rpm. We will see how I adapt over the week, before my fit next Saturday.

I really like the 1x setup! So much less work to shift without having to deal with the FD. The WiFli shifts really crisp and reliably. Never hesitated. I left the FD shifter on the left aerobar for symmetry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like your thinking on the narrow bb. I'll be interested in how the short cranks/narrow bb work out.
Quote Reply
Re: TT Bike Build: P3-SL / 1x [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bottom bracket works fine. I mean, you know, it's a bottom bracket... Not much to say. It screws in, the cranks fit, it spins.

The jury is still out on the short cranks. Going, from 175 to 150 is a drastic change. As noted above I have a fit session scheduled for next Saturday. So, we will see how I adapt over the week... Otherwise, I will discuss it with my fitter next week and decide if I should go up by 10mm or so. They are comfy from a fit point of view...evem with 17cm of drop. But, power production was down on my long ride yesterday. Could be lots of things, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
The bottom bracket works fine. I mean, you know, it's a bottom bracket... Not much to say. It screws in, the cranks fit, it spins.
I assume Andy's referring to the selection of a 107mm BB, which is reasonably narrow and possibly more aero as a result (Obree famously chased this very hard). Maybe you didn't give it much thought.

I guess it just mostly depends on the tradeoffs between aero, biomechanical comfort and optimised chainline.
Quote Reply
Re: TT Bike Build: P3-SL / 1x [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
I assume Andy's referring to the selection of a 107mm BB, which is reasonably narrow and possibly more aero as a result

According to the info I could find that crank still has a tread over 150mm with a 107 spindle. So it's not actually narrow. Chainline could be improved for 1x with a 100mm spindle, but I think the only way to do that would be a Phil Wood custom
Quote Reply
Re: TT Bike Build: P3-SL / 1x [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I chose it based on chainline with the O8 cranks, not aero or q-factor. Numerous others have tested the O8 cranks and 107mm was the consensus for optimal chainline. It seems to be about right...maybe a bit more outboard optomized.

I use keywin crm pedals that have multiple axel lengths. So, I can change aero/q separately from the bb axel length.
Quote Reply
Re: TT Bike Build: P3-SL / 1x [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Chainline could be improved for 1x with a 100mm spindle, but I think the only way to do that would be a Phil Wood custom

Based on my eyeball I agree. It looks like it's about one cog outboard from optimal. I considered mounting the chainring on the inboard side of the cranks to offset it slightly, and straighten out the chainline when in that gear. There is plenty of clearance to the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:
Chainline could be improved for 1x with a 100mm spindle, but I think the only way to do that would be a Phil Wood custom

Based on my eyeball I agree. It looks like it's about one cog outboard from optimal. I considered mounting the chainring on the inboard side of the cranks to offset it slightly, and straighten out the chainline when in that gear. There is plenty of clearance to the frame.
Optimal would be a dead straight chainline when on your preferred rear cog at race pace. So slightly outboard (from centre of the cassette) might actually be a good thing.
Quote Reply
Re: TT Bike Build: P3-SL / 1x [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick follow up on the short cranks.

As mentioned previously, my long ride on Sunday wasn't so great. My power was down across the board.... Both for average power over the whole ride, and my peak power for the 8x30s intervals that I did mid-ride.

Fast forward to last night. I did my weekly FTP intervals (2x20m). Set my 3rd highest (ever) 20m average power in the second interval. My second highest this year, and the highest in 6 weeks.

Last night I felt strong, and the occasional "dig a little too deep" (+15% over ftp for a stint) didn't have the typical negative effects (that... "I'm gonna pay for that in a few minutes" thought). I managed to push well over 120% ftp for the last 2 minutes.

So, I can't really blame the cranks for whatever was the deal with Sundays ride. I must have just been fatigued from my workouts on Saturday. Usually, I can tell when that's the case, but maybe my normal cues were confounded by the various sensation differences caused by the short cranks (small pedaling circle, higher torque, higher cadence, etc).

The TT position is a different story, but as I said, I'm getting a pro-fit on Saturday. At this point all I've done is setup the saddle to match my previous bike and put the bars somewhere close-Ish based on Slowman's static fit calculations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Yeah, I don't like the PD bag. Haven't decided on something better yet. I like the idea of a hard sided type... The soft side PD doesn't really seem to hold its shape and drops off to one side.

Very nice set up, but if you want an aero bento that would live up to the quality of your build, please take a look at our packs (in your case, the Speedpack 480 or 483 would likely be best). All of our packs hold their shape perfectly in most all conditions. If it helps, here is a photo of a SP 480 on a similar TT bike, and lots more photos of all of our US-made Speedpacks are avail here.

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: TT Bike Build: P3-SL / 1x [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Greg. Those look nice! I was wondering how well those held their shape. Lots of positive comments in the ST threads I've been reading on bento options. Most comments say, "get dsw and don't look back."

Updates post fit session:

Raised seat 4cm, moved it forward 2cm. Leveled saddle (well, nose is 3* down).
Moved pads and extensions forward by 1.5cm.
Tilted extensions up until comfortable
Added 1cm spacer under stem.

Felt waaay better post session. I'll put together a complete writeup of the fit session, with pics. In short, Trent was outstanding.

Cleaned up the cables when I got home. Added heat shrink over the grips.

Long ride today (50 miles). Will see how it feels on the road.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New shoes... Lg84 with elastic laces. I haven't decided if I'm going to cut out the tongue or not. I don't do a flying mount, so...not much reason to.

I did my 2x20s in these last night. Very comfy, and no issues with the laces leaving the shoe too loose around the heel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great looking build. Can you post a close up of your front end cable management? Finalizing mine this weekend and could use some ideas......
Quote Reply
Re: TT Bike Build: P3-SL / 1x [Edor5505] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not totally please with it, but it will do for now. I'll try a little harder next year when I upgrade the cockpit.

Not also that I use the torhans aero 30 in front of the cables, and a bento tucked up to the stem (I moved it out of the way for the photos).

Also I have the wire for the headlight wrapped around the stem. That will come off for racing... Obviously.

Quote Reply

Prev Next